Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does anyone have these preset torque extensions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
I saw these today at my local tool store and almost bought them. Does anyone have a set or ever used them? The sales person at the store said they just started selling them. When I asked a few questions I got some stupid made up answers. If you don't know, just say so and don't give me any BS. mad.gif

My question was, what happens when you reach the rated torque setting? How do they keep you from over tighting the lug nut?

"The unique design allows the length and diameter of the torque extension shaft to flex with each blow of the impact wrench once the specified torque is reached." WTF.gif

What am I missing here? confused24.gif Expain it to a 914 kinda guy, biggrin.gif

http://bizrate.lycos.com/oid451401712.html

Product Details: 12 Piece 1/2" Drive Metric & SAE Car Wheel Torque Socket Set:Torque Extension Bars: :Torque Extensions are designed for 1/2" Dr. impact wrench rated 380-420 ft.lb.; 3/4" Dr. impact wrench rated 750 ft.lb.; 1" Dr. impact wrench rated 1,500 ft.lb.: :The various drive sizes and torque limits allow use of any impact socket with a torque extension to match the different lug nut sizes found on vehicles: :Helps prevent over-torquing of wheel nuts and can minimize wheel distortion.: :The unique design allows the length and diameter of the torque extension shaft to flex with each blow of the impact wrench once the specified torque is reached.: :Accurate to within 4%. ::Size 17, 19 & 21mm Sockets; 13/16" socket; 17-21mm: 55-135 ft/lb (75-135Nm) torque Sockets (7pcs); 13/16": 100 ft/lb (135Nm) torque Socket

Brad Roberts
They work well. Discount tire uses them.

The shaft flexes at a predetermined rate and stops transmitting the impact gun load to the socket.

Not sure if I can explain it easier than that. I have used them. They work. It just feals weird not seeing a number or hearing a click.

B
Dr Evil
When the tq value is reached, the shaft acts like a shock absorber adn doesnt pas any more whoopass allong to the nut, it just flexes.

Ya dig?
URY914
If I use them with an electric impact wrench, do I watch the socket and when it stop rotating, it has reached the torque pre-set?
Brad Roberts
Yes.

If it will help.. do like we did for the "kids" helping out at the shop or at the track:

Use a paint marker and paint one stripe down the extension or on your 19mm socket. This will help you keep track of what is happening.

B
Cap'n Krusty
Use 'em on your Chebby wheels, not on something where you care about what happens. Makes the tire guys, many of whom couldn't get a job at Mc Donald's, "less" apt to screw up your wheels/rotors/lug nuts. The Cap'n
URY914
They sell them individually and I was thinking of getting the 80 psi one to start with.
Only $15.00.

Yea, I was thinking you could just put a line on the socket and watch it.

Thanks, Brad or whoever you are. biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
I like the Capt' reply above yours!! LOL

Goes right along with the "kids" in my post.

V
URY914
I'm a kid at heart biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.