Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MEGASQUIRT!, Need some info plz.
JPB
post Jul 4 2006, 09:23 AM
Post #1

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,107

I have been perve/converted to this FI system; at least mentally. I was going to go dual Webers but this seems to have more adjustibility over the whole RPM range if I'm not mistaking. Does anyone have the list of parts including the intakes required, venders ect... for the conversion? I have a single Progressive and you must all feel sorry for me right? Hey it came with the car from the past owner. I wanna rebuild my engine Jake Style and get this conversion hooked up with the present stock one. I need all the help I can get. Did I mention the single sorry assed Progressive Weber? Don't ya feel sorry for me? THNX!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) Regurgitation requested.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 4 2006, 09:40 AM
Post #2

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

For intake you need the stock D-jet intake, TB, injectors, pump, reg, plumbing, aircleaner etc.

Then you need the FI... now MS is way cheaper IF you build the system yourself, I've checked out the prices of the built MS systems ( http://diyautotune.com/ ) and at best (I'm talking about a complete system) you're only saving about $300 over the same SDS system ( sdsefi.com )

If you're real good at DIY electronics and programming get a MS kit.
If you get your beans and frank caught when you zip up... get the SDS.

http://www.megasquirt.info
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 4 2006, 09:43 AM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

....use the factory throttle body, plenum, runners, injectors and CHT, use new GM or Bosch air tempsensor and TPS

you "could" use the current single carb as a throttle body and put injectors in the factory location

msefi.com
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 4 2006, 09:49 AM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Oh and don't forget you will need a wide band A/F meter.
+Quote Post
fiid
post Jul 4 2006, 09:53 AM
Post #5

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

You can fairly easily adapt a TPS from a subaru throttle body to fit the D-jet throttle body.

It's actually possible to use all the D-jet stuff - injectors, cht, etc....as other people have said.

One thing about the D-jet wiring is that the D-jet provides +12V to the injectors and has the other side go to a grounding point on the block. For MS - you need to locate the grounding point and wire it to +12v, and then the other side can go to the MS.

It's not impossible to mount the MS inside the D-jet brain box either. One of the bigger problems actually is getting everything environment-proof, and the D-jet box is reasonably good. You'll probably want to find some good quality connectors to get the stuff hooked up.

+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 4 2006, 10:00 AM
Post #6

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

DIY Autotune (noted above) will sell you a complete kit, or a built unit. They'll also sell you wiring, connectors, and a wideband.

I agree with Mark that by the time you're looking at a built MS, you're not saving a lot of money anymore. If you don't have or like laptops, the SDS would be the better bet. MS requires a laptop (or a PC in your garage, and you can't tune on the road).

The cheapest route for you would be to weld in injector bungs (MSD sells them, if DIY doesn't) to the progressive manifold you have. The next cheapest would be to find a 2.0 D-Jet setup, sell the MPS and the ECU, and use the rest with MS as the ECU. The next up the scale (WAY up the scale) is a set of IDF-style throttle bodies. This gives the option of way more flow if you're going to seriously build the motor. The D-Jet parts will probably top out at the 180hp range, or a healthy 2270, and even then, you may have to bore the throttle body (DNHunt is the resource here, he's done this).

If you have the money, Jake sells a complete SDS system with throttle bodies, wiring, etc. This would be the easiest route, but it's quite costly.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 4 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #7

that's what I do!

QUOTE(fiid @ Jul 4 2006, 11:53 AM) *

You'll probably want to find some good quality connectors to get the stuff hooked up.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) This is the big one... bad connectors, wiring and soldering can/will turn MS into a nightmare. It's not that hard to do...mostly just time, but you need to be honest about your skills
+Quote Post
JPB
post Jul 4 2006, 10:06 AM
Post #8

Port Hope? I caught so many salmon in the Ganny my hip wadders still smell like row! I went to school at Sir Sandford Fleming in Lindsay Ont.; nice part of the world.

The SDS looks like a no brainer, me likes! Not to bad in $ also. thnx.
+Quote Post
JPB
post Jul 4 2006, 10:13 AM
Post #9

The next up the scale (WAY up the scale) is a set of IDF-style throttle bodies. This gives the option of way more flow if you're going to seriously build the motor.

The CB Perf. throttle bodies look great and for the price, I think it would solve alot of headachs. At 9Xauto they run for 1700$ and that isn't to bad considering all my FI stuff went with a 2L I just sold not to long ago. Good suggestion and considerable for shure.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 4 2006, 10:14 AM
Post #10

that's what I do!

Holy snap!

I live in the Ganaraska Forrest. I just have to walk if I want to do some fishing.

Are you coming to our show??? Click at the bottom of this post...
+Quote Post
JPB
post Jul 4 2006, 10:15 AM
Post #11

I got the skills but would rather spend, be lazy and save on time.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Got priorities ya know.
+Quote Post
newto914s
post Jul 4 2006, 10:16 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 1,663

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 4 2006, 07:40 AM) *
If you're real good at DIY electronics and programming get a MS kit.
If you get your beans and frank caught when you zip up... get the SDS.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 4 2006, 10:20 AM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(JPB @ Jul 4 2006, 09:13 AM) *

The next up the scale (WAY up the scale) is a set of IDF-style throttle bodies. This gives the option of way more flow if you're going to seriously build the motor.

The CB Perf. throttle bodies look great and for the price, I think it would solve alot of headachs. At 9Xauto they run for 1700$ and that isn't to bad considering all my FI stuff went with a 2L I just sold not to long ago. Good suggestion and considerable for shure.

Zois just removed his CB Performance injection due to it not being able to be tuned all that well, they have 3 knobs, idle, accel. and WOT I believe, it's a total comprimise all the time with it...
+Quote Post
JPB
post Jul 4 2006, 10:21 AM
Post #14

I called the folks in Niagara on the Lake and mentioned a visit and show/ vacation. We all got excited. I hope to make it. If you could keep me in the loop it would really help since it's been 10 yrs since I've come back to the cold country. This would fall into the going to drive the teener soon after it gets painted in a few weeks kinda catagory. Its my first, drove it twice and can't wait to get it finished, well this mutation I mean.LOL
+Quote Post
JPB
post Jul 4 2006, 10:34 AM
Post #15

Really? I see why they push the "in cockpit" adjustability thing since it probably needs it all the time. Some Turbo dudes were pushing it as a way to keep the engine from running lean.
+Quote Post
JPB
post Jul 4 2006, 10:54 AM
Post #16

you "could" use the current single carb as a throttle body and put injectors in the factory location

msefi.com
[/quote]
Thats a good idea! I also have a T1 intake manifold for a progressive with dual ports. I can also weld the new injector bosses to each side, probably tig it. The intake has a single tub that attacheas to the carb therefore, all your saying is just put a butterlfy in it and perhaps a K&N mushroom on the top since the Weber would only be an air regulator persay! That would be a rad looking FI deal.

Am I on the right page here bud? Add an SDS, brain dead system with the sensors, and off to the blacktop we go!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Sounds pretty sharp!
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 4 2006, 10:58 AM
Post #17

that's what I do!

QUOTE(JPB @ Jul 4 2006, 12:34 PM) *

Really? I see why they push the "in cockpit" adjustability thing since it probably needs it all the time. Some Turbo dudes were pushing it as a way to keep the engine from running lean.

I only had the programmer on my SDS for 2 weeks last year. I have not even installed it this year...it's sitting in my showcase.

Once you're done tuning you only really need to look at it once a year or if you change something.
+Quote Post
Thack
post Jul 4 2006, 02:21 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 4,182

So what costs are we looking at if you go MS and use existing 2.0 D-Jet parts?
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 4 2006, 03:51 PM
Post #19

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE(Thack @ Jul 4 2006, 01:21 PM) *

So what costs are we looking at if you go MS and use existing 2.0 D-Jet parts?

If your injectors are in good shape, and you don't need a new engine wiring harness or fuel lines, then basically the MS kit ($150 more or less) plus some misc wiring bits (you'll need some high-power inline resistors for the D-Jet injectors) is the bare minimum.

If you don't want to solder the thing together, the cheapest pre-assembled unit is $240.

A wideband is VERY helpful, and those are about $200.

The real cost is spending loads of time on msefi.com learning how everything goes together, what exactly you want (there are several ECU variations), and how you want to do this. There are MANY avenues you can explore, including ignition as well as fuel.

If you're really on a budget, you can sell your working MPS for about $60 on Ebay to offset some cost.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jul 4 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #20

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Don't forget the wiring harness...its a significant part of the install. The D-Jet harness even if it were in serviceable conditions, cannot be used or adapted.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:54 PM