Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MEGASQUIRT!, Need some info plz.
yarin
post Jul 19 2006, 09:09 AM
Post #41

'14-X'in FOOL

Group: Members
Member No.: 693
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE((*)(*) @ Jul 18 2006, 11:04 PM) *

I've come to the same conclusion as well..my Innovate wide band is sitting on the desk at home waiting for the install.

Now if I can just find some dyno time someplace....

Personally I don't see a need for dyno time. Plug in your desired AFR value into the table, click autotune and let it tune the VE for you. Datalog and view your results. Simple as that. The only thing a dyno would give you is hp/tq figures. I would get it tuned first on the street, then if desired stick it on a dyno for the last 5%.

Of course if you are putting out 600+whp then it would be difficult to datalog a pull run on the street, not to mention illegal. I certainly don't have that problem (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Jul 19 2006, 09:53 AM
Post #42

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Personally I don't see a need for dyno time.

Yarin, I really disagree with that statement. Tuning with a wideband allows you to shoot for a target air fuel ratio. No doubt A/F ratio corrolates with engine performance but it supposes 3 assumptions. First, that your WBO2 sensor is acurate, second that the variables ( reporting delay, tuning algorythm, closed loop corrections) in the tuning are minimal or correct, and third and most important, that the arbitrary A/F ratio you pick is the best for the performance you desire. These are big assumptions and the only measure you have on the road is how your butt interprets the results. The dyno gives you a reliable quantitative measure of how effective your tuning is. Do your best but, I would place a bet that a good tuner with a dyno can wring more performance out of your system.

Dave
+Quote Post
yarin
post Jul 19 2006, 11:27 AM
Post #43

'14-X'in FOOL

Member No.: 693
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jul 19 2006, 11:53 AM) *

Personally I don't see a need for dyno time.

Yarin, I really disagree with that statement. Tuning with a wideband allows you to shoot for a target air fuel ratio. No doubt A/F ratio corrolates with engine performance but it supposes 3 assumptions. First, that your WBO2 sensor is acurate, second that the variables ( reporting delay, tuning algorythm, closed loop corrections) in the tuning are minimal or correct, and third and most important, that the arbitrary A/F ratio you pick is the best for the performance you desire. These are big assumptions and the only measure you have on the road is how your butt interprets the results. The dyno gives you a reliable quantitative measure of how effective your tuning is. Do your best but, I would place a bet that a good tuner with a dyno can wring more performance out of your system.

Dave

Dave, Fair statement. Depends on how far the user wants to go. Innovative's WBO2 sensors have been foudn to be dead accurate when compared to those used on a dyno. Either system will report incorrectly if there is an airleak upstream of the sensor. There are many assumptions which define successful self-tuning. My goal was to get the engine "Safely" tuned, then move onto tuning for power. A good tuner can definitely get more out of any standalone engine management system due to the inherant concept that you are tuning for optimum power as supported by a safe AFR.

+Quote Post
JPB
post Jul 19 2006, 02:36 PM
Post #44

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

Cool info fellows. I guess a good harness and it could be done for 1K right?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 04:36 PM