Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> any thoughts on this car?, need input before bidding this week.
HeloMech
post Jul 6 2006, 02:49 PM
Post #1

Go Ahead, Get Pistoph!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,718
Region Association: Southern California

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

http://www.pbase.com/redphoto/1974_914

http://ct.pbase.com/t1/60/680760/4/62963830.uh3BO74u.jpg
http://i.pbase.com/g4/60/680760/2/62963833.KOLva4Ls.jpg
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Jul 6 2006, 03:48 PM
Post #2

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Member No.: 779

I dunno....... the way the OWNER talks about it.... doesn't seem like there's all that much that's actually "right" about the car.

Parts car maybe? Yea.. it runs.... but the seller's main point was "It'll get to highway speeds, but needs work"... or something like that.

Doorpanels, seats, and dash are thrashed... it needs tires, and it has Rivieras.

Honestly... looks like the price is already a bit high. Just my opinion.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 6 2006, 03:54 PM
Post #3

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

ebay link didn't work for me. where does the bidding start? what can you afford helo? there are plenty of cars for sale in the classifieds here. known cars as well. you'll have another $3k into that car so fast it will make your head spin.

k
+Quote Post
cobra94563
post Jul 6 2006, 04:18 PM
Post #4

Chris

Member No.: 3,696

ebay link doesn't work for me...

from pics, it looks like a project - if that's what you're looking for.? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jul 6 2006, 04:22 PM
Post #5

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Ebay link that works:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...sspagenameZWDVW
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jul 6 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #6

King of Road Trips

If you can get it for under $1500 and your not afraid of the work go for it.

It needs tires ($300), hell hole repaired ($$), new battery tray ($$), trunk repair ($500), suspension consol?, interior ($500), body work & paint ($4,000), fix motor or replace if it's toast ($5,000), little bits & pieces ..say $1000......adds up quickly

Buy the best car you can for the money you have........never be in a rush........you might miss a deal, but deals are like busses...another comes along in a bit
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post Jul 6 2006, 04:37 PM
Post #7

|||

Member No.: 2,128
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jul 6 2006, 02:32 PM) *

Buy the best car you can for the money you have........never be in a rush........you might miss a deal, but deals are like busses...another comes along in a bit

That's some damn good advice...that's what I did!
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 6 2006, 04:39 PM
Post #8

the doorjam to frt fender (picture 24) at the top, looks suspitious to me. or just extremely dirty.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 6 2006, 05:24 PM
Post #9

check out joseph mills' car in the classifieds. in my book, it's a steal @$6.8k and i'm pretty sure you could drive it home. that ebay car is almost $2k. the $3k i threw out is prob on the low side. you're only a little short. it's not "buying" the car that kills you. don't forget shipping or picking up your ebay special and having your heart sink when you get there.

k
+Quote Post
HeloMech
post Jul 6 2006, 07:19 PM
Post #10

Go Ahead, Get Pistoph!

Thanks for all of the advice. I'll keep an eye on it and see how high it goes. Body and Paint I'm not worried about, that I can do. The trunk rust I can do, battery tray I can do. I just want to make sure the area I hear about the rear suspension falling off because of rust isn't something that's obvious to all of your trained eyes. The engine, rebuild would be parts only. I won't be paying anybody labor on anything that's wrong with the car. Just wanting to make sure the wheels aren't going to fall off... or the car fold in half.

I'm going out to the guy's house saturday morning to take a look at the car in person. I'll stand on the side, straddle the door... see if the door gap changes. I can get a better idea of the rust and see what the heck I'm looking at in the pics. It's got over 2100 views on it and still has 3 days + to go on the auction. I'd like to find a 73-74 2.0 and don't want to spend more than $2500 initially on it. I don't care if it's in the garage for a while being reborn.

thanks again for all the input.
+Quote Post
HeloMech
post Jul 6 2006, 09:00 PM
Post #11

Go Ahead, Get Pistoph!

QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jul 6 2006, 03:32 PM) *

It needs tires ($300), hell hole repaired ($$), new battery tray ($$), trunk repair ($500), suspension consol?, interior ($500), body work & paint ($4,000), fix motor or replace if it's toast ($5,000), little bits & pieces ..say $1000......adds up quickly

What do you mean by the hell hole and battery tray with the ($$)? I'll be doing all the work myself on this thing. Which part of these little buggers is the hell hole... and does this car look like it's going to fall in half? lol. I want a project car. Which will be a daily driver.. not a concourse or show car... least, not at this point in it's life.

Thanks again for all of this input.
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Jul 6 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #12

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 6 2006, 02:54 PM) *

ebay link didn't work for me. where does the bidding start? what can you afford helo? there are plenty of cars for sale in the classifieds here. known cars as well. you'll have another $3k into that car so fast it will make your head spin.

k
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Jul 6 2006, 09:12 PM
Post #13

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658
Region Association: None

QUOTE(HeloMech @ Jul 6 2006, 08:00 PM) *

What do you mean by the hell hole and battery tray with the ($$)? I'll be doing all the work myself on this thing. Which part of these little buggers is the hell hole... and does this car look like it's going to fall in half? lol. I want a project car. Which will be a daily driver.. not a concourse or show car... least, not at this point in it's life.

These guys are not trying to sell a friends car, they are looking after your best

interest. These little buggers are expensive to restore, why not take advantage

of someone else spending all that money and selling it at a loss. IMHO
+Quote Post
HeloMech
post Jul 6 2006, 10:37 PM
Post #14

Go Ahead, Get Pistoph!

Hm, dunno what I did. I replied to this before. Must have previewed it then closed it.

anywhoo... I'm not bashing anyone for trying to sell me their friend's cars (since they're not). I just know that I'm working with $2500 for a car. I fully expect a car that I get for $2500 or less to be a project. I actually enjoy project cars. If I had $6800, I'd probably enjoy driving a nicely done 914 just as much. lol. That being said, I'm going out to take a look at this car saturday morning. I will try the test where I stand on the inner edge above the rocker cover and see if the door/body gap changes. That rust in the trunk, the interior, motor rebuild.. I don't care about all of that stuff. Paint and body, no worries there. I just want to know what to look at... or if you guys see something obvious in the pics that this car is going to fold in half somewhere. lol.

Thanks again for all of the input. It really is appreciated. And no matter which project I get... if I have to PUSH it there, I'll show up to that stonefire place again... in a 914, not on my bike. Weeeeeeeeeee

thanks again, really.

+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jul 6 2006, 11:46 PM
Post #15

King of Road Trips

QUOTE(HeloMech @ Jul 6 2006, 08:00 PM) *

When I went ($$) to the parts I ment that the extent of the rust in that area will determine the amount of $'s spent on making it pretty again. Battery tray and everything below it adds up. I estimated several of the parts like the trunk floor. It's only $175 + freight, but it will cost you at least $300 more to have someone put it in.

The "hell Hole" (usually meaning is that the area right below the battery that has gone to hell) is the area of the frame right below the battery. In the pictures shown, it has holes in it already and you haven't started to grind away at it.

The suspension consol is on the oposite side from the hell hole. If the rust is thru the hell hole it usuallly means that it also will need repair.

Here's the link for the place that makes the replacement panels: http://www.restoration-design.com/

You can total up what all the pieces will cost you to replace (save that link).

Don't forget to add your time to the factor, when you could have bought a better car and have been driving it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post Jul 6 2006, 11:52 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

I agree say 2K for the purchase price and easily another 3K worth of work and you still need a 5K paint job.
Now if you do it yourself you can get this done cheaper...if you don't value your time.

The clean white 73 looks like a way better deal.
+Quote Post
highways
post Jul 7 2006, 02:13 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 4,296

I didn't see the clean white car, perhaps it is a better deal. But i don't know why everyone is ragging on this car so much. Seems like it could possibly be a low rust gem- the pics don't really show anything so how does everyone seem to know? Looks like that car might actually have a battery tray.

You need to study all the pics you can find of hell holes and longitudinals (particularly where they come down to the low point in front of the rear wheels) so you know what you're looking for. Then....

1. Take a screw driver, poke at the bad rust or suspected areas if they guy will let you (it's really important to find out if anything is there- if it's gone and you poke a little hole, why should he be too worried?)
2. Use your fingure if he doesn't like screw drivers...
3. If he allows it- remove the rocker panels to inspect the longitudinals
4. Just look at the door gaps- they should be even. If things are going bad on the car they'll be weird even without you standing on it.
5. My car also rusted behind the drivers seat where water pooled under the carpet, pull the carpet up and take a peak.

So far I only see rust in the trunk which could be due to a faulty seal. There are lots of pics of hell holes out there. Here's my project
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...=54896&st=0
You can see how the hole of hell. The suspension console rust could not be seen since it happened internally- only after it cracked. But it was directly related to the hell hole (and top of longitudinal) opening up. But there are clearer pics then mine that you should try to find.

And yeah, I'd defintely say any structural rust is a deal breaker. If there's none, and that car goes for $1700, it might be a decent deal. But that's just me- and you don't wanna get into what I'm doing.
+Quote Post
highways
post Jul 7 2006, 02:21 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 4,296

Ummmmm, ok nevermind. I just saw the pics of the hell hole he has (didn't see them at first). Yeah, well it's not looking too great. Mine looked basically like that two weeks ago. When you start grinding, the holes you see now will open up about 5x bigger then they first appear (my experience). I dunno.... become a 914 ninja- and stalk a no ruster until you can buy it before anyone else even knows it's for sale.
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Jul 7 2006, 07:42 AM
Post #19

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Member No.: 779

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-914...1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like this one just got listed a few hours ago. it's not perfect, but it appears to be a pretty good starting point. I guess he listed the BIN at $2800, because it sold before, and the buyer never paid. Hey.... I'd write him, offer him what you can afford to offer him, and see what happens... you might luck out. Car looks reasonably clean, it runs good, comes with some extra parts, doesn't look rusty or anything, etc

I understand having $$$ in your pocket, and a car already picked out...... but honestly, with a $2500 budget, you can do WAY better that the one discussed in this forum.
+Quote Post
gopack
post Jul 7 2006, 07:59 AM
Post #20

CHEESEHEAD in CA, MARK

Member No.: 2,472
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Jul 7 2006, 08:42 AM) *

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-914...1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like this one just got listed a few hours ago. it's not perfect, but it appears to be a pretty good starting point. I guess he listed the BIN at $2800, because it sold before, and the buyer never paid. Hey.... I'd write him, offer him what you can afford to offer him, and see what happens... you might luck out. Car looks reasonably clean, it runs good, comes with some extra parts, doesn't look rusty or anything, etc

I understand having $$$ in your pocket, and a car already picked out...... but honestly, with a $2500 budget, you can do WAY better that the one discussed in this forum.

HMMMM a running 914 ... and in Milwaukee!
MUST ......CONTROL ..... SELF!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 02:23 AM