Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: any thoughts on this car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ninefourteener

I dunno....... the way the OWNER talks about it.... doesn't seem like there's all that much that's actually "right" about the car.

Parts car maybe? Yea.. it runs.... but the seller's main point was "It'll get to highway speeds, but needs work"... or something like that.

Doorpanels, seats, and dash are thrashed... it needs tires, and it has Rivieras.

Honestly... looks like the price is already a bit high. Just my opinion.
rhodyguy
ebay link didn't work for me. where does the bidding start? what can you afford helo? there are plenty of cars for sale in the classifieds here. known cars as well. you'll have another $3k into that car so fast it will make your head spin.

k
cobra94563
ebay link doesn't work for me...

from pics, it looks like a project - if that's what you're looking for.? smash.gif
GWN7
Ebay link that works:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...sspagenameZWDVW
GWN7
If you can get it for under $1500 and your not afraid of the work go for it.

It needs tires ($300), hell hole repaired ($$), new battery tray ($$), trunk repair ($500), suspension consol?, interior ($500), body work & paint ($4,000), fix motor or replace if it's toast ($5,000), little bits & pieces ..say $1000......adds up quickly

Buy the best car you can for the money you have........never be in a rush........you might miss a deal, but deals are like busses...another comes along in a bit
BMartin914
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jul 6 2006, 02:32 PM) *

Buy the best car you can for the money you have........never be in a rush........you might miss a deal, but deals are like busses...another comes along in a bit

That's some damn good advice...that's what I did!
rhodyguy
the doorjam to frt fender (picture 24) at the top, looks suspitious to me. or just extremely dirty.
rhodyguy
check out joseph mills' car in the classifieds. in my book, it's a steal @$6.8k and i'm pretty sure you could drive it home. that ebay car is almost $2k. the $3k i threw out is prob on the low side. you're only a little short. it's not "buying" the car that kills you. don't forget shipping or picking up your ebay special and having your heart sink when you get there.

k
HeloMech
Thanks for all of the advice. I'll keep an eye on it and see how high it goes. Body and Paint I'm not worried about, that I can do. The trunk rust I can do, battery tray I can do. I just want to make sure the area I hear about the rear suspension falling off because of rust isn't something that's obvious to all of your trained eyes. The engine, rebuild would be parts only. I won't be paying anybody labor on anything that's wrong with the car. Just wanting to make sure the wheels aren't going to fall off... or the car fold in half.

I'm going out to the guy's house saturday morning to take a look at the car in person. I'll stand on the side, straddle the door... see if the door gap changes. I can get a better idea of the rust and see what the heck I'm looking at in the pics. It's got over 2100 views on it and still has 3 days + to go on the auction. I'd like to find a 73-74 2.0 and don't want to spend more than $2500 initially on it. I don't care if it's in the garage for a while being reborn.

thanks again for all the input.
HeloMech
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jul 6 2006, 03:32 PM) *

It needs tires ($300), hell hole repaired ($$), new battery tray ($$), trunk repair ($500), suspension consol?, interior ($500), body work & paint ($4,000), fix motor or replace if it's toast ($5,000), little bits & pieces ..say $1000......adds up quickly

What do you mean by the hell hole and battery tray with the ($$)? I'll be doing all the work myself on this thing. Which part of these little buggers is the hell hole... and does this car look like it's going to fall in half? lol. I want a project car. Which will be a daily driver.. not a concourse or show car... least, not at this point in it's life.

Thanks again for all of this input.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 6 2006, 02:54 PM) *

ebay link didn't work for me. where does the bidding start? what can you afford helo? there are plenty of cars for sale in the classifieds here. known cars as well. you'll have another $3k into that car so fast it will make your head spin.

k
agree.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(HeloMech @ Jul 6 2006, 08:00 PM) *

What do you mean by the hell hole and battery tray with the ($$)? I'll be doing all the work myself on this thing. Which part of these little buggers is the hell hole... and does this car look like it's going to fall in half? lol. I want a project car. Which will be a daily driver.. not a concourse or show car... least, not at this point in it's life.

These guys are not trying to sell a friends car, they are looking after your best

interest. These little buggers are expensive to restore, why not take advantage

of someone else spending all that money and selling it at a loss. IMHO
HeloMech
Hm, dunno what I did. I replied to this before. Must have previewed it then closed it.

anywhoo... I'm not bashing anyone for trying to sell me their friend's cars (since they're not). I just know that I'm working with $2500 for a car. I fully expect a car that I get for $2500 or less to be a project. I actually enjoy project cars. If I had $6800, I'd probably enjoy driving a nicely done 914 just as much. lol. That being said, I'm going out to take a look at this car saturday morning. I will try the test where I stand on the inner edge above the rocker cover and see if the door/body gap changes. That rust in the trunk, the interior, motor rebuild.. I don't care about all of that stuff. Paint and body, no worries there. I just want to know what to look at... or if you guys see something obvious in the pics that this car is going to fold in half somewhere. lol.

Thanks again for all of the input. It really is appreciated. And no matter which project I get... if I have to PUSH it there, I'll show up to that stonefire place again... in a 914, not on my bike. Weeeeeeeeeee

thanks again, really.

GWN7
QUOTE(HeloMech @ Jul 6 2006, 08:00 PM) *

When I went ($$) to the parts I ment that the extent of the rust in that area will determine the amount of $'s spent on making it pretty again. Battery tray and everything below it adds up. I estimated several of the parts like the trunk floor. It's only $175 + freight, but it will cost you at least $300 more to have someone put it in.

The "hell Hole" (usually meaning is that the area right below the battery that has gone to hell) is the area of the frame right below the battery. In the pictures shown, it has holes in it already and you haven't started to grind away at it.

The suspension consol is on the oposite side from the hell hole. If the rust is thru the hell hole it usuallly means that it also will need repair.

Here's the link for the place that makes the replacement panels: http://www.restoration-design.com/

You can total up what all the pieces will cost you to replace (save that link).

Don't forget to add your time to the factor, when you could have bought a better car and have been driving it. biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
echocanyons
I agree say 2K for the purchase price and easily another 3K worth of work and you still need a 5K paint job.
Now if you do it yourself you can get this done cheaper...if you don't value your time.

The clean white 73 looks like a way better deal.
highways
I didn't see the clean white car, perhaps it is a better deal. But i don't know why everyone is ragging on this car so much. Seems like it could possibly be a low rust gem- the pics don't really show anything so how does everyone seem to know? Looks like that car might actually have a battery tray.

You need to study all the pics you can find of hell holes and longitudinals (particularly where they come down to the low point in front of the rear wheels) so you know what you're looking for. Then....

1. Take a screw driver, poke at the bad rust or suspected areas if they guy will let you (it's really important to find out if anything is there- if it's gone and you poke a little hole, why should he be too worried?)
2. Use your fingure if he doesn't like screw drivers...
3. If he allows it- remove the rocker panels to inspect the longitudinals
4. Just look at the door gaps- they should be even. If things are going bad on the car they'll be weird even without you standing on it.
5. My car also rusted behind the drivers seat where water pooled under the carpet, pull the carpet up and take a peak.

So far I only see rust in the trunk which could be due to a faulty seal. There are lots of pics of hell holes out there. Here's my project
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...=54896&st=0
You can see how the hole of hell. The suspension console rust could not be seen since it happened internally- only after it cracked. But it was directly related to the hell hole (and top of longitudinal) opening up. But there are clearer pics then mine that you should try to find.

And yeah, I'd defintely say any structural rust is a deal breaker. If there's none, and that car goes for $1700, it might be a decent deal. But that's just me- and you don't wanna get into what I'm doing.
highways
Ummmmm, ok nevermind. I just saw the pics of the hell hole he has (didn't see them at first). Yeah, well it's not looking too great. Mine looked basically like that two weeks ago. When you start grinding, the holes you see now will open up about 5x bigger then they first appear (my experience). I dunno.... become a 914 ninja- and stalk a no ruster until you can buy it before anyone else even knows it's for sale.
ninefourteener
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-914...1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like this one just got listed a few hours ago. it's not perfect, but it appears to be a pretty good starting point. I guess he listed the BIN at $2800, because it sold before, and the buyer never paid. Hey.... I'd write him, offer him what you can afford to offer him, and see what happens... you might luck out. Car looks reasonably clean, it runs good, comes with some extra parts, doesn't look rusty or anything, etc

I understand having $$$ in your pocket, and a car already picked out...... but honestly, with a $2500 budget, you can do WAY better that the one discussed in this forum.
gopack
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Jul 7 2006, 08:42 AM) *

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-914...1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like this one just got listed a few hours ago. it's not perfect, but it appears to be a pretty good starting point. I guess he listed the BIN at $2800, because it sold before, and the buyer never paid. Hey.... I'd write him, offer him what you can afford to offer him, and see what happens... you might luck out. Car looks reasonably clean, it runs good, comes with some extra parts, doesn't look rusty or anything, etc

I understand having $$$ in your pocket, and a car already picked out...... but honestly, with a $2500 budget, you can do WAY better that the one discussed in this forum.

HMMMM a running 914 ... and in Milwaukee!
MUST ......CONTROL ..... SELF!! wacko.gif
rhodyguy
the ad for the silver car in daytona beach is funny. "PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR MORE PHOTOS, THE CAR IS NICE...". HAHAHAHA. the hell hole picture is plenty thankyou. i wonder if the engine shelve is included in the parts heap? starting @ $2250 with 0 bids so far. good luck on which ever car you decide to purchase helo.

k
rhodyguy
i checked again. what happened to the bidding? some people must have retracted their bids as it was near $2k yest. now i would be concerned. btw, that $3k i mentioned is parts/materials only and your labor.

k
HeloMech
OK, I just checked that link. They have all the panels... the longitudinal reinforcements, etc. I'm ok with taking this car completely apart. Again, I'm not paying anyone anything for labor.. and I don't charge myself for time.. lol. It's a hobby project. Well, I take that back.. I'd pay someone for machine work and covering the seats... that's about it. weeeeeeeeeeee. It's all good... sniff sniff, cry cry, I'm gonna save one more... you'll be proud... we'll all dance naked around the resurrection bonfire... uhm, or maybe not... how about i just rebuild the car and see where we go from there.

Thanks again... I knew I could count on input. With that link to the replacement panels.. I'm set! Bid retraction put the car back down to $900... we'll see where it goes.
BigDBass
QUOTE(gopack @ Jul 7 2006, 08:59 AM) *
do it do it
ninefourteener
QUOTE(HeloMech @ Jul 7 2006, 06:44 AM) *

Bid retraction put the car back down to $900... we'll see where it goes.

LOL... thats funny!!

That car was bid up to almost $2000 yesterday--LOL
HeloMech
That high bidder right now, I believe is in Mexico and has negative feedback as well. Chances are, I'll buy this car and strip it down to nothing, replace whatevers rusted out and then try to figure out from the bazillion pics I'll take along the way, what goes back where. lol.
gopack
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jul 7 2006, 09:50 AM) *

QUOTE(gopack @ Jul 7 2006, 08:59 AM) *
do it do it

WIFE would be collecting the life insurance ASSUMING she could make it look like an accident! whip[1].gif owned.gif whip[1].gif
jonwatts
I like how he took the pictures laugh.gif

echocanyons
That thing turns on a dime av-943.gif
HeloMech
Mark, I just went through your thread on the resto. That's awesome. That's what I have planned (minus flares and such) for this 74 if I buy it this weekend. Strip it down and redo any metal work that needs it. Then figure what I want to do as far as upgrades along the way. Looks like I'm heading to Korea end of this month until 2nd week in September so it will just sit in the garage getting used to being in it's own room for a while.. lol.
JPB
DON'T bid for something you can't see. For one reason, it's to far to pick up and you realy don't know till you look yourself. The rubber alone can do you in bro! Think of all the hard parts to get and think of getting one complete and running to start with. Parts cars come and go like the wind. Get one that runs and is good to go today. The cost of one in great order and a good parts car are marginal compared to the time and parts you will spend. Take your time and shop wisely. There is one out there for you.

beer.gif Been there, done that and now just enjoy the suds.
HeloMech
QUOTE(JPB @ Jul 7 2006, 02:55 PM) *

DON'T bid for something you can't see. For one reason, it's to far to pick up and you realy don't know till you look yourself. The rubber alone can do you in bro! Think of all the hard parts to get and think of getting one complete and running to start with. Parts cars come and go like the wind. Get one that runs and is good to go today. The cost of one in great order and a good parts car are marginal compared to the time and parts you will spend. Take your time and shop wisely. There is one out there for you.

beer.gif Been there, done that and now just enjoy the suds.

Ok, I went out and took a look at this car. Started right up and the guy took me for a ride in it. We went around town, got on the freeway, off the freeway, around town, back to his place. It's in alot better shape than the 74 MG and the 64 Falcon I restored when I brought those home. This one is at least drivable to get home. I stood and bounced a bit above the rocker with the doors closed. No movement at the door gap. The body is in bad shape if you don't want to work on it. The engine needs a tuneup for sure, but pulls pretty well. The windshield was replaced a while back and only one piece of the trim is installed. the other top piece is in the trunk and the bottom piece(s) are missing. Leaks oil from either the cover or the push tubes. Wasn't a HUGE mess on his garage floor, but definitely some oil there. After we got back, the oil which get's to the heat exchange doohickeys smokes. Needs bushings in the shifter. dash is cracked. Needs new rubber seals.... has a LOT of little things that will add up. I'd still buy it the way it is and maybe drive it a little bit while cleaning things up while ordering a stockpile of parts and then strip it all down.

Now, it DID have a noise that made me nervous. To me it sounded like a bad bearing or brakes dragging towards the rear left. He said he though it sounded like the front left. Which is possible as I was on the other side of the car. Anyway, thoughts? wheel bearings? dragging breaks? some kind of transaxle issue?

I know what I'm NOT going to bid on this car. I'm not spending $2500 on it. that's for sure.

Also, any thoughts on the yellow CA car in the classifieds in carlsbad?
gopack
QUOTE(HeloMech @ Jul 7 2006, 11:54 AM) *

Mark, I just went through your thread on the resto. That's awesome. That's what I have planned (minus flares and such) for this 74 if I buy it this weekend. Strip it down and redo any metal work that needs it. Then figure what I want to do as far as upgrades along the way. Looks like I'm heading to Korea end of this month until 2nd week in September so it will just sit in the garage getting used to being in it's own room for a while.. lol.

thanks for the positive comments! I can not wait to get my dream 914 on the road and show it off!
A bit of advice if I may? (or just ignore me and do what you want!!)
I know you said you were going to do a lot of the work your self, but the worse the shape of the car when you buy it , the more MONEY (and most importantly TIME) you will have to invest......except it isnt an investment at all. I bought my car cause I wanted a project, to learn and challenge my self. I have learned a lot, but I also have spent more than it will be worth unless I keep it for at least 100 years! I wish now that I had bought a nice sorted car and just kept driving it! When it is done, I will still be thinking of ways to improve it (six in my future???), but starting next year all I am going to do is drive it (and do the things that suffered when money ran out) for the next 4 - 5 years!
so decide now... garage on jack stands, or on the road having fun?
CHOOSE WISELY!!!
HeloMech
thanks for the reply. I would like to THINK that I am going to keep whatever 914 I get for long term. I really do enjoy the project side of cars. I've done the 64 falcon, 66 mustang, 74 MGB, 67 Cougar, 86 Mustang and I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting one somewhere. Anyway, I look forward to the project part of the car. Since this one is actually running, I'd probably drive it around for a few months as I gather all the new seals, trim pieces, suspension upgrades... yada yada yada, the list goes on. Once I get to a point where I have a substantial amount of parts built up, I'd take the car off the road.

naturally whatever I get, I will put the required attention to keep it roadworthy and running properly until I do actually gut it. The falcon had no motor or tranny and you could fred flintstone drive it with the floors rusted out. lol.

There are a few others that I've seen that I'd like to take a look at locally. We'll see what this blue one goes for. If it doesn't go up much, I'd still buy it.

projects ROCK! lol.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.