Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More on that mystery event, The 24 Hours of Lemons
lapuwali
post Jul 10 2006, 07:04 PM
Post #1

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Linkie

It's all on that site. Anyone who wants to put together a 914club team, speak up. Martin Swig is one of the organizers. He runs the California Mille and the Anti-Football Run every year.

Deadline for entry is Aug 31, so if we're going to do this, we need to get our ducks in a row soonish.

Doing this in a 914 would be great, but I doubt even we could manage to assemble one for $500. Perhaps we'll find a FIAT or something. I know of a running Renault Dauphine for $350...

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Jul 10 2006, 08:01 PM
Post #2

Member Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 478

OMFG! i'd love to do this. it would take some serious effort, though -- and i could only provide like 1/3rd the prep time/costs in terms of a roll, cage, fire system, fuel cell, etc (which is the only way i'd get out there and actually do it).

HOWEVER, if any one in addition James is serious about it, i've got a welder, some garage space, and some spare time/cash.

nate.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jul 10 2006, 10:04 PM
Post #3

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

I'm thinking bio diesel Puegeot would fit the bill. Or mabe a crappy old turbo Renault Fuego. However given cars cant use antifreeze maybe a good old air cooled car is the way to go.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Jul 10 2006, 11:04 PM
Post #4

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Wow!!

45-55mph? I think not.

KT
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 11 2006, 08:19 AM
Post #5

Not another one!

Either I'm only to play "team manager", or I have to figure out how to get a competition license by October. I had a bike racing license 10 years ago, but I doubt they'll take that...
+Quote Post
drew365
post Jul 11 2006, 09:24 AM
Post #6

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 11 2006, 07:19 AM) *

Either I'm only to play "team manager", or I have to figure out how to get a competition license by October. I had a bike racing license 10 years ago, but I doubt they'll take that...

The site says you can buy a license on the spot for $75. Apparently this is a profit deal.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 11 2006, 10:34 AM
Post #7

Not another one!

I'mnot sure that's the deal. The TRACK will sell you a "valid NASCAR license", which may involve some instruction ("Don't drive with beer, you'll spill it?").
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 11 2006, 12:20 PM
Post #8

Not another one!

On Craigslist: BMW 318i for $175. Runs but won't pass smog...This might be easier than I thought. Also a 924 for $450. Not one Yugo, for any price...
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 11 2006, 01:04 PM
Post #9

Not another one!

On costs, btw, Nate mentioned being limited to 1/3. The rules say 4-6 drivers on a team (it is 24 hours, after all), so I'd say if we can't get at least 6 payers on board, there's no point in bothering. $500 car + $500 entry fee + $600 ($100 each driver) + $500 for safety gear (cage and fire extinguisher) is $350 apiece, assuming you can provide your own personal safety gear (SA helmet [no bike helmets], firesuit), plus expenses. Expenses would be gas (24 hours on the track is going to mean a LOT of gas, probably 40-50 gallons, or another $150 or so), mostly. Figure $400 each, at most, and maybe much less ($175 BMW...).

We'd need a tow vehicle and a trailer, which I know several people here have. We have several welders to help out with cage installation.

+Quote Post
eeyore
post Jul 11 2006, 01:10 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,533

Altamont Raceway?! Sweet!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Jul 11 2006, 01:36 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I am 100% in, I can help with fabrication, electricals, grunt work, etc. I probably suck as a driver but I am willing to give it a shot... Where do I send the paypal?

Is there any way we could do a turbo for this kind of money? I think the performance advantage would be huge and we could run ridiculous boost on the disposable car. Maybe a super cheap car and a homebrew turbo kit, or something that came boosted but is still a crap car (volvo?). More than one of us is competent at hacking fuel injection, which is a good start...
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 11 2006, 01:39 PM
Post #12

Not another one!

I think just having a running car at the end will be a major accomplishment. I doubt many will be too careful about passing, and it's mostly an oval, so I'm sure there will be a fair amount of "rubbing" going on. Hot mods would probably be bull bars, not turbos.
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Jul 11 2006, 01:47 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Is there a link to past years anywhere with photos of the cars? I couldn't find one in my brief search.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 11 2006, 02:37 PM
Post #14

Not another one!

This is, I believe, the first year of this event.

The organizers have been running the "Double 500" for awhile (500km in $500 cars on the road). Martin Swig as a LOT of experience running car events. Many of these kinds of events tend to keep a fairly low profile. The California Melee, for example, has a website, but there's not a lot on it, and they don't actively seek publicity, mostly for fear of becoming too popular.

I'm sure the field will be divided between those who are going to take the racing way too seriously, and those who won't take it seriously enough, with the majority somewhere in the middle.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jul 11 2006, 03:42 PM
Post #15

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

Its not clear to me how the race works. Whats the deal with speeds of 45-50MPH? If you are speed limited then using a diesel with a big fuel tank seems to me to be a winning car. Pickup a old VW rabbit diesel - they get close to 50 mpg. If you depend on speed then choice becomes a little more difficult - higher HP better handling then comes into play.

I just like the Bio diesel angle - Bet I could get fuel sponsor!
+Quote Post
fiid
post Jul 11 2006, 04:18 PM
Post #16

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530

I'll have a one month old then... so no go for this year, but next year I'm on it like flies on shit.

I think a biodiesel rabbit might be a good schtick... esp if we can get a blower on it (I have a couple of spare turbos at home (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 11 2006, 04:52 PM
Post #17

Not another one!

If you follow the link to Altamont's site, it looks like they may be using the inner "short" oval, so those two turns on the end are probably so tight that the typical $500 car simply isn't going to make it up past 55mph at the other end of that straight. Just a guess. You know as much as I do.

+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Jul 11 2006, 05:01 PM
Post #18

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413

Still interested...

KT
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Jul 11 2006, 05:05 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

I wonder if this is like the GRM challenge where you can subtract profits from items sold off the car from the purchase price?

I am assuming that uniqueness will play a part in winning the people's choice award, so completing the race in an ~89 Camry or similar unwanted econobox is probably not going to be much fun, although that would almost certainly be the cheapest route!

Craigslist is full of $50-200 vehicles, especially in the Sacramento and LA areas.

+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 14 2006, 03:26 AM
Post #20

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

It sounds like great fun. The rules state that the car that completes the most laps wins the $1500 prize. So speed is a factor. Unfortunately they have the car crushing rule so if you're dominating, I bet there's a good chance you will be the popular pick for getting crushed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Just like the 914 it's all about getting light and picking a good car.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 07:50 PM