Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More on that mystery event, The 24 Hours of Lemons
McMark
post Jul 14 2006, 03:31 AM
Post #21

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

BMW 2002

He'd have to be convinced to sell his car for less, but it'd be fun!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Jul 14 2006, 07:34 AM
Post #22

Currently teenerless :-(

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,814

I showed the race site to a couple of friends. After talking about it for awhile, we considered this might be an ultimate road trip/bachelor party (we're all track addicts, and one is getting married this fall). Craigslist has a number of <$500 cars in the area, and we purchase one-way tickets from CA back to Indy. Drive the beast out, compete for as long as possible...

So, if you were to enter, would you go for the older, lightweight classic (say that BMW 2002 referenced previously), or something like an 80's sedan (caprice, bonneville, etc) with rear wheel drive and big V8? I'm interested in everyone's opinions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post Jul 14 2006, 01:27 PM
Post #23

Insert witty comment here...

Member No.: 4,493

Depends on if you want to win clean, or go w/ the circle track mentality... If you cant win, take out someone who can (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'm trying to round up some so-cal guys to do this too... i'd love to be part of the club team, but yall are up in the bay area, not the REAL california

BJH
+Quote Post
sww914
post Jul 15 2006, 01:02 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146

Free 924.
http://slo.craigslist.org/car/182164446.html
It says it runs, at least it's sort of a Porsche.
+Quote Post
Terrance
post Jul 16 2006, 08:09 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 4,526

I'm going to bring out a Trebant.
+Quote Post
jimtab
post Jul 18 2006, 01:25 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 11 2006, 12:04 PM) *

On costs, btw, Nate mentioned being limited to 1/3. The rules say 4-6 drivers on a team (it is 24 hours, after all), so I'd say if we can't get at least 6 payers on board, there's no point in bothering. $500 car + $500 entry fee + $600 ($100 each driver) + $500 for safety gear (cage and fire extinguisher) is $350 apiece, assuming you can provide your own personal safety gear (SA helmet [no bike helmets], firesuit), plus expenses. Expenses would be gas (24 hours on the track is going to mean a LOT of gas, probably 40-50 gallons, or another $150 or so), mostly. Figure $400 each, at most, and maybe much less ($175 BMW...).

We'd need a tow vehicle and a trailer, which I know several people here have. We have several welders to help out with cage installation.

It looks to me like there are only 2 --4hour run periods with a party in between...did I miss something...this sounds like more fun than a barrel of titties! I'm in if you'll have me...I'd have to buy a NASCAR licence tho....written in pencil I presume..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Well, as usual, I did miss something..the first race period is 7 hours and the second is 8 hours for a total of 15....that's a long time in a beater....
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 18 2006, 01:48 PM
Post #27

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

I've email the organizer asking for some clarification on the licensing issue. If you can really just show up and pay $75 for a "valid NASCAR license", then it looks like me, Nathan, Jeff, and Jim are serious (or, rather NOT serious) enough about actually doing this.

Any other takers?

Who has a trailer, a tow vehicle, and enough space to store the victim? Most of the interesting sub-$500 cars are not licensed, so we'll need to tow the thing away. Jeff is moving, and I know he doesn't have a tow rig...

I'll ask Jeroen for persmission to rattle-can the 914club logo on the sides of the car...
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 18 2006, 05:14 PM
Post #28

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

I got a reply to my licensing question...

Hi, James:

Yeah, that's the deal--show up, fork over $75, and hey presto, you're
an accredited, licensed NASCAR driver. Kinda begs the question of
what the license proves (aside from your ability to pay $75), but
that's the terms of the track rental/insurance contract. It does kind
of explain a lot about typical NASCAR driving, on the other hand.

Hope we see you there--Jay

So, I in as a driver. They DO require an SA helmet (which I have), so if you've only got a motorcycle (M) helmet you'll need to pony up to get a car helmet. They don't appear to require the rest of the fire gear, but I'd certainly suggest you get some.

+Quote Post
jimtab
post Jul 20 2006, 11:42 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

WOW...I'm gonna be a NASCAR driver just like .....uh...Dale ur..Junior...ur...a Bodine...wish I was as fast......
+Quote Post
jimtab
post Aug 6 2006, 09:53 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) I'm getting the sinking feeling that this isn't going to happen.....sure seemed like a good idea at the time.....
+Quote Post
914TD
post Aug 18 2006, 05:25 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 6,680

Hi, new to this site but not others like it, this sounds like a blast, I’d consider it. No posts on this topic since July and early August, what’s up?
Ok here’s my choice for a beater racer: BMW 1977-1983 320i, bought one several years ago or so at a impound auction for $375 when I was between cash and a totaled car, ran like a bat out of hell for about 3 months then died. Eventually I gave it to cars for causes.
Impound auctions are a good place to look for cheap, and I have also seen the 320’s advertised private party cheep too.
For their age they handle very well even with worn out suspension.
I also like the biodiesel Rabbit idea but boosting the 1.6L NA wont last long. The 1.6L TD is/was a completely different engine, different head and crank and they are hard to find and a bit pricey because they are rare. I know because I own one, and no, sorry it is not available, would also not make the 500 buck chalange.

For the record, I’m in LA.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 12:56 PM