Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> My 2L six race engine let go after nearly 3 years, or 22 race and dyno sessions
john rogers
post Jul 13 2006, 04:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 391

After getting tired of hot rodded fours that would make a lot (200+ HP) only wanting to last a couple of race weekends we put a 2L six in my race car. This was done in Oct 2003, a while ago. Since then I added up the race weekends and counting 2 dyno sessions of about an hour or so each that came to 22 racing sessions. The hardest were by far the ones in Mexico as I drove harder on rougher circuits that the ones here, but alas at the CA Speedway several weeks a go it got a very bad vibration at about 7200 RPM so I parked it. When the engine was opened, we found a rod had broken, probably after the bearing failed and actually swelled the case over the rod area but did not cause a case rupture! The case looked like it had been repaired a long time ago as it was not the original casting in that area, but I bought the running engine out of a race car when it was newly rebuilt so I put all the time on it.
As for cost, I paid $6500 for the complete engine with Weber 40IDS like new, 906 cams(reground) , 2.7L ported heads, flywheel, clutch, alt, sheetmeatsl, etc. So the estimated cost of the long block was about $3000 which turns out to be a pretty good deal over the lift of the engine. Now trying to figure if I should stay at 2L or go to 2.5L or 2.7L, since more power is always nice!?
We did pretty good preventative maintenance such as opening the oil filter after every weekend and after the last sesion before this no bearing material found in the filter or in the pump screen so I guess it was just time?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
john rogers   My 2L six race engine let go after nearly 3 years   Jul 13 2006, 04:13 PM
J P Stein   I've got 5 years of autocrossing on my 2.7L. ...   Jul 13 2006, 04:49 PM
brant   John, thats great.. not that the motor is acting...   Jul 13 2006, 05:02 PM
Cap'n Krusty  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 07:48 PM