Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Will there be a MUSR 8?
dlee1967
post Jul 16 2006, 07:32 PM
Post #1

V8Lurker

Group: Members
Member No.: 327
Region Association: None

I just thought I would throw it out there to see if the organizers of last years event have thrown in the towel or is there event planning going on behind the scenes? I spoke with a number of Texas teeners this weekend and there seems to be great interest in a 2006 (late) Fall event.

We could hold one in Houston and I wouldn't mind helping with the planning BUT......we have no hills here. We do have Motorsports Ranch Houston though! It would be quite a drive to get somewhere with some 914 friendly roads.

Austin would be great, but I don't know if we have enough muscle there to get it organized. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Your thoughts? Maybe Charlie and Clay can give us their view of the world.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Jul 16 2006, 07:57 PM
Post #2

hooked on grilling food.

Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Inquiring minds want to know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 16 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #3

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

OK.. here's the Official scoop on MUSR 8.

I talked to Charlie Davis about this subject. He is burnt out with organizing this after 10 years (wait.. this is only MUSR 8, why is it 10 years? You have to remember there were 3 "renegade 914 club" events before the first official PCA sponsored MUSR). Charlie is willing to handle all the financial stuff, but he doesn't want to organize it. Here's a link to the 914Sig site for more information about past events. http://www.pca.org/914/SIGsiteNS.html.

Charlie has asked me if I would consider organizing this year's event. I am currently considering the idea, but I realize that I would need LOTS of help. I talked to Rich Johnson, and he is willing to organize the door prizes. And Betty and I have kicked around ideas for trophys and locations, but that is as far as it got.

If I were to organize this, it would have to be somewhere in the D/FW area. With my new job, I don't have the time to drive out of state to do all the tour mapping needed. If someone were to be a local volunteer to setup the tours, dinners, and a hotel, then we can have it somewhere else.

Here's a general outline of MUSRs past....

Thursday night we have a tour to dinner.

Friday we would have a swap meet (Usually they were not very good swap meets. There just isn't a whole lot of room to haul parts if you drive your 914 to the event). A morning and afternoon tech session, and a tour to dinner

Saturday is traditionally when the car show is held, and afternoon tech session.Some sort of driving tour/Rally. The early evening would be a tech quiz, and then the Awards banquet at the hotel.

Sunday Breakfast get together. MUSRS 3 through 7 had an autocross.

Here is all of the stuff that would have to be done:

1. Figure out where we are going to have it.
2. Determine the hotel for the headquarters. Do they offer group rates? Do they have trailer parking? Do they have room for the car show? Do they have an available banquet room for the awards banquet?
3. Determine where we are going to have the various tours and dinners.
A. Thursday night to dinner.
B. Friday night to dinner
C. Saturday Tour/Rally
4. Tech sessions... how many,who would give them, and what subjects? We have had every subject from "how to photograph your 914" to a complete detail on a six conversion. One year there was even a "hands on" tech session, in the parking lot, on electrical diagnosis where we fixed a tail light problem.
5. Goody bags?
6. Door prizes?
7. T-Shirts?
8. Tech Quiz... I have done this for a number of years now. Maybe Damp Dave's lawyer would give him some "time off for good behavior" and let him come to the MUSR to deliver a tech quiz?
9. Car Show.
10. Awards Banquet.

The one advantage to holding it in the D/FW area is that we can have an Autocross with the Maverick Region's October 8th Charity Autocross at Texas Motor Speedway (not on the track, on the Bus parking lot). If we go elsewhere, we either have to hook up with the local PCA region to have a AX, or not have one at all.

Opinions, questions, suggestions, offers of help?? Nothing has been set in stone, so anything is possible at this point.
+Quote Post
dlee1967
post Jul 17 2006, 05:16 AM
Post #4

V8Lurker

I would be glad to help with the event. If we are trying to piggyback with the Oct 8 autocross, we need to get moving. Are there any other local DFW 914 owners that can help with Clay's task list?

It's no fun to carry the burden by yourself. Charlie (with volunteers) has done such a good job in the previous events. He really deserves just to show up and just have fun. If Clay will take the lead, I will help, but we need more orgainizers.

My personal feeling is add another drive in place of the swap meet. Feedback?
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Jul 17 2006, 05:26 AM
Post #5

hooked on grilling food.

I think I was last years swap meet. Since I dont have a car I can help stay behind and do grunt work while others do tours and have fun.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jul 17 2006, 09:18 AM
Post #6

Mike Ginter

Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 16 2006, 09:11 PM) *

I talked to Charlie Davis about this subject. He is burnt out with organizing this after 10 years (wait.. this is only MUSR 8, why is it 10 years? You have to remember there were 3 "renegade 914 club" events before the first official PCA sponsored MUSR). Charlie is willing to handle all the financial stuff, but he doesn't want to organize it. Here's a link to the 914Sig site for more information about past events. http://www.pca.org/914/SIGsiteNS.html.

Charlie has asked me if I would consider organizing this year's event. I am currently considering the idea, but I realize that I would need LOTS of help. I talked to Rich Johnson, and he is willing to organize the door prizes. And Betty and I have kicked around ideas for trophys and locations, but that is as far as it got.

If I were to organize this, it would have to be somewhere in the D/FW area. With my new job, I don't have the time to drive out of state to do all the tour mapping needed. If someone were to be a local volunteer to setup the tours, dinners, and a hotel, then we can have it somewhere else.

Friday we would have a swap meet (Usually they were not very good swap meets. There just isn't a whole lot of room to haul parts if you drive your 914 to the event). A morning and afternoon tech session, and a tour to dinner

Saturday is traditionally when the car show is held, and afternoon tech session.Some sort of driving tour/Rally. The early evening would be a tech quiz, and then the Awards banquet at the hotel.

2. Determine the hotel for the headquarters. Do they offer group rates? Do they have trailer parking? Do they have room for the car show? Do they have an available banquet room for the awards banquet?
C. Saturday Tour/Rally
4. Tech sessions... how many,who would give them, and what subjects? We have had every subject from "how to photograph your 914" to a complete detail on a six conversion. One year there was even a "hands on" tech session, in the parking lot, on electrical diagnosis where we fixed a tail light problem.
5. Goody bags?
6. Door prizes?
7. T-Shirts?
8. Tech Quiz... I have done this for a number of years now. Maybe Damp Dave's lawyer would give him some "time off for good behavior" and let him come to the MUSR to deliver a tech quiz?
9. Car Show.
10. Awards Banquet.

The one advantage to holding it in the D/FW area is that we can have an Autocross with the Maverick Region's October 8th Charity Autocross at Texas Motor Speedway (not on the track, on the Bus parking lot). If we go elsewhere, we either have to hook up with the local PCA region to have a AX, or not have one at all.

Opinions, questions, suggestions, offers of help?? Nothing has been set in stone, so anything is possible at this point.

So, maybe people with "not so pretty" 914s that drive 1300 miles *ONE WAY* might actually get to have their cars in the group picture this time huh? A guy can dream... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 17 2006, 09:36 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 17 2006, 10:18 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 16 2006, 09:11 PM) *

C. Saturday Tour/Rally
5. Goody bags?
6. Door prizes?
7. T-Shirts?
9. Car Show.
10. Awards Banquet.

So, maybe people with "not so pretty" 914s that drive 1300 miles *ONE WAY* might actually get to have their cars in the group picture this time huh? A guy can dream... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

And I am to blame for this how??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 17 2006, 09:40 AM
Post #8

I just noticed something.......

It seems like everyone would like to see a MUSR this year, but it gets awful quiet when someone says the word "work" or "organize". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jul 17 2006, 10:20 AM
Post #9

Mike Ginter

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 17 2006, 09:36 AM) *

Little quick on the trigger today Clay? Let me be more specific. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

On the contrary! Charlie's entirely to blame. But since he doesn't want to organize, and you are throwing your hat in the ring, I assumed the possibility may actually exist this year.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 17 2006, 12:47 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 17 2006, 11:20 AM) *

Little quick on the trigger today Clay? Let me be more specific. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

On the contrary! Charlie's entirely to blame. But since he doesn't want to organize, and you are throwing your hat in the ring, I assumed the possibility may actually exist this year.

The only way I am going to do this is with help... and the response to my request is extremely underwhelming..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jul 17 2006, 12:55 PM
Post #11

Mike Ginter

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 17 2006, 12:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 17 2006, 11:20 AM) *

The only way I am going to do this is with help... and the response to my request is extremely underwhelming..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

It's a shame too. But I can't really help you for an event I don't plan to attend. So to use your words...

"And I am to blame for this how??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)"
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 17 2006, 01:03 PM
Post #12

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792

I'll do what I can, I doubt I'll be able to attend though... unless it's near DFW again...

I've got so much going on lately, I haven't even been watching the site a lot...

+Quote Post
Thoward914
post Jul 17 2006, 01:06 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,376

Clay,

Robyn and I will do what we can to help. I just don't have any experience to offer organizing an event like this. But I am will to learn and be slightly abused in the process.
+Quote Post
jr91472
post Jul 17 2006, 01:27 PM
Post #14

"I'm pacing myself sergeant..."

Member No.: 2,437

You can count on me to do as much as I can. Do we have a target date? If it is Labor Day (like last year) I will be out of town. Sorry.

Otherwise, I would be happy to work on dinner locations Thurs/Friday or whatever. I think doing something closer to DFW is a good idea.

And of btw.....this thread is less than 24 hours old...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 17 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 17 2006, 01:55 PM) *

It's a shame too. But I can't really help you for an event I don't plan to attend. So to use your words...

"And I am to blame for this how??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)"

QUOTE(jr91472 @ Jul 17 2006, 02:27 PM) *

You can count on me to do as much as I can. Do we have a target date? If it is Labor Day (like last year) I will be out of town. Sorry.

Otherwise, I would be happy to work on dinner locations Thurs/Friday or whatever. I think doing something closer to DFW is a good idea.

And of btw.....this thread is less than 24 hours old...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

Gint... you aren't to blame....and I never said you were.

JR. I have seen threads on the DFW club members go to 2 or 3 pages in less than 8 hours. Why not this one? That is my point.
+Quote Post
jr91472
post Jul 17 2006, 03:04 PM
Post #16

"I'm pacing myself sergeant..."

Member No.: 2,437

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Jul 17 2006, 03:23 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 897

Clay -
Not to be a pain - But IMHO the DFW MSUR's really haven't been the better events due to the lack of twisties, scenery, and weather...HOT... And I have been to 5 MUSR's without a car ...

I know in order to get these things going you have to have help, of which I have done some of my share over the years...

So, heres my question... Does Charlie or anyone he knows have driving routes and suggested eateries for the Austin/Kerrville area.... My thoughts were to have the Host hotel at the OK resort Hotel...Typically rates would be about $90.00 for a group of the average size that attends these events... The area is very interesting, shopping for the girls, twisties for the boys, and it's not so flat...

Just my .02...

TE
+Quote Post
dlee1967
post Jul 17 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #18

V8Lurker

Maybe it is time to throw down a few dates an gauge the interest? No one wants to arrange an event and have no attendees.....

And if Clay wants Dave to handle the tech quiz, I am sure he will sharing driving duties with the -6 ???? I hear he has the golden touch when driving others cars.

I will be glad to help where I can on organizing portions of the event. There are also a few other Houston members who may be conviced to attend an also assit this year.
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Jul 17 2006, 03:39 PM
Post #19

hooked on grilling food.

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 17 2006, 10:40 AM) *

I just noticed something.......

It seems like everyone would like to see a MUSR this year, but it gets awful quiet when someone says the word "work" or "organize". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I did put in for the grunt work gang.(see higher up the page) What about a road ralley with check point? I could hang out at a check point and give out a token you could only get at said point? We used to do those in our four wheel drive club in Wis. it was a success some folks would loose because they missed the check point but had all the other required items they needed to find. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Figure out where you want to have this and Ill work with someone and scout out roads and work out a ralley/snipe hunt.
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Jul 17 2006, 03:56 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081

Could be worse. :-))
If I was organizing a ramble, we would have problems. Rolling the watermelon without busting them contest. Companion would be used while lashed to the front lid and bumper, fitted with "Z" approved flip flops to motivate the melons in a designated path.
Rules frozen while using 914's in "the squish the seed the longest distance" while drinking Foster's would be a good choice for a funtime event. Designer Porsche sun glasses must be used for eye protection unless you can get a better price at WalMart on their fashion designed glasses.
Movie making session using 914club chosen people showing how to inspect a 914 for the DD big butt, drive it to test & flex the longs, doing it strapped under the 914 for a bird's eye view when crossing over a railroad track.
Cookout using only the finest 914 Fuchs as serving trays.
Yes. it could be worse. LOL

MikeCool
Oakfield, TN

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 04:46 AM