Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> One stop transmisison service for less, Questions, rebuilds, diagnoses, etc.
Dr Evil
post Feb 21 2009, 05:23 PM
Post #41

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Hey Mike,

The 5th for the stock /6 is actually a smaller gear than the ZD in the /4 901 so you would be experiencing higher fwy RPM. The reason for the higher RPM is that the /6 needs more cooling. As for making your box a 5spd that has a taller 1st and changed 2nd, bring lots o money! You will need, at the minimum, a 904 shaft ($1800 or more) so I can install a different 2nd on it ($$). Very tall 1st gears dont really exist, but I can put the tallest one on and that would be $$$ for the parts. The most cost effective way to make a taller box for your car would be to use stock 2nd-4th (can mess with them a little if you really want) and put a flipped H gear in 5th (about $500 for the gears). I'll look over the gear chart and see what I can come up with.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Knox
post Feb 21 2009, 06:49 PM
Post #42

MikeTuba

Member No.: 1,258
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Thanks I appreciate it. I know already it's going to be fun having that engine push me around (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif), but I love the idea of having all 5 gears available. Having said that I don't know if a 904 shaft is in the realm of near-term possibility in this economy. Like I said I have that 5th gear set from John on hand, and you described the exact reason I bought it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) So incorporating it into the rebuild is a must. Tell me what you think the most intelligent way to go is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Thanks again!!

Mike
+Quote Post
Van914
post Feb 22 2009, 09:55 AM
Post #43

Van914

Member No.: 90
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Dr.Evil,
What do you charge in addition to the $500 rebuild to install a LSD?
Thanks
Van
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 22 2009, 11:49 AM
Post #44

I'll send you a PM, Van (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Mike, I still need to look at the gear chart. I was, er, busy last night (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) and am recovering.
+Quote Post
westgl
post Apr 21 2009, 10:34 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 9,756
Region Association: None

Hey Doc,

I wanted to see how busy you are as far as 901 rebuilds.

I am putting a subie 2.5Liter engine and wanted a transaxle that would shift great and stand up to 180hp and 180ft lbs torque.

I wanted to discuss changing gears first(not so low) maybe second? to take better advantage of the motor or maybe use a higher 5th gear?

Your the Doc. let me know what can be done.

I hear there is an inexpensive way to go for a limited slip diff??

Thanks

Gary
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 22 2009, 08:51 AM
Post #46

Hi Gary,

For the 180/180 set up you are shooting for a stock tranny should suit you fine. Have you driven a stock 914 for comparison? If not I would recommend it so you know where to start from as far as gear changing. For a water cooled engine the high RPM of 5th is a bit of a waste in power and gas so you may benefit from a higher 5th gear such as a flipped H gear or HB.

Now, if you are dead set on swapping gears around, which = $$$, then I need to know what the power band of your engine is going to be. The gears should be arranged in such a way as to utilize the power band the most. Unless you have $1800 or more, 2nd gear changing is not an option.

As for cheap LSDs, I would like to know where you heard this as I have no links to cheap LSDs. There are basically 2 options; the quaiffe which is a geared unit, and stock which uses clutch disks that need to be changed out when they wear. If you are not AXing, an LSD is pretty much overkill and not cheap at around $1800 last I recall.

I can build you up a respectable box that will shift perfectly and handle your engine as well as steer you away from spending needlessly on upgrades that you may not need (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
westgl
post Apr 28 2009, 11:12 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 9,756

Hi DR.

I read all of your posts,

The last one in regards to installation of returned gearhead,

read;

installation alignment of shifter to come.

Did I miss it??

Gary

+Quote Post
orange73
post Jun 7 2009, 08:04 PM
Post #48

orange 72

Member No.: 10,355
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 21 2006, 01:49 PM) *

Is your tranny feeling like this?

Send it to me and I will make it feel and perform like this!

If your tranny is feeling its age, grinding, and popping out of gear I have the solution for you! If you have checked the other, outside of the tranny causes for these symptoms and found them to be ok then your tranny may be in need of a rebuild.

Some outside of the tranny causes for some of your shifting woes:

-Shifter bushings along the shift rod
-Cone set screws
-Tranny cable adjustment, shifter adjustment
-Clutch, TO bearing, pressure plate
-Engine and tranny mounts

So, you have checked all of the above and it is still not working as it should. What do you do!?

Send it to me!

Options:

1. Send the whole thing to me for a full rebuild and reseal - $500 labor + parts
-Shipping is about $80 coast to coast with Greyhound (see below).
-Please clean the case! I do not have a tank for this.

2. Send the gear stack to me for a full rebuild - $300 labor + parts
-Instructions for removal and install will follow
-Weight of stack and packing is 37lbs
-Shipping with FedEx is about $20 each way

3. Want to convert to a side shift? PM me.

I am interested in getting your car shifting correctly and lasting a long time while providing you with the greatest value and service. If you have questions I would be happy to help you. If you want to take pics of your gear stack and get an opinion fell free to contact me. Do you want to bring it by and have me take it apart to diagnose it? I will gladly do this, and for free. I will diagnose any tranny for no charge.

I also have a great stock of excellent used internal parts for much less than new with no loss in performance if you are interested.

SHIPPING INSTRUCTIONS:

Through my many rebuilds I and my customers have found the best and least expensive ways to send your trannies to me.

For a gear stack only this works best:
1) Get a plastic water bottle or cup and cut it so it just covers the speedo drive gear. This will keep it from being damages during tranzit like a helmet.
2) Fold some cardboard up and tape it to the end of the drive shaft to give the point some more suface area. This will keep the drive shaft from poking out of the box during shipping.
3) Get some small trash bags and fill them with news paper balls. These bags are them used to cushion the stack by placing them into the box around it. This will also keep the box from collapsing during shipping, and it cheap!
4) Choose the box with the tightest fit to keep your shipping charges down. FedEx has consistantly been the cheapest, most reliable and safest carrier that I have used for shipping large items.

For shipping me the whole tranny:
1) Clean off the case. It doesnt have to be clean enough to eat off of, but the cleaner you get it the easier it is to ship and the cleaner it will be when you get it back (because I do not clean them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ).
2) Go to Staples, UHaul, or any other store with packaging materials and get some packaging wrap (the stuff that looks like a big roll of saran plastic wrap).
3) Take your fairly clean tranny and wrap it up with the plastic. Take it to the nearest Grey Hound freight depot ( http://www.shipgreyhound.com/locations/locations.asp ) and ship it to me. Shipping is about $80 coast to coast.

Thats all! any questions feel free to PM me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)

Here is a link to an excellent thread by DNHunt on how to rebuild the tranny should you wish to try it yourself. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=40904&st=0
Hello<
I am new to the 914 thing but enjoying it more each day.... I have a 1972 with a 1.7 eng. ( I think ) the shift linkaege is a little sloppy and as I look at the connection in the rear of trany where the long shift od connect i see the previous owner has anout 4 or 5 heavy duty wire ties all attached in a circle and I presume it is replacing a bushing or something that is gone ?? heck it works but i want to know what is missing and how hard it is to replace it if it is a bushing?? any help would be appreciated.
Dan (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 7 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #49

Hey Dan,
I need a pic to be able to tell you what is up. There are a few ways people can use zip ties to make do....all of them not a good idea.
+Quote Post
JazonJJordan
post Jun 30 2009, 01:59 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 10,446
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(orange73 @ Jun 7 2009, 10:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 21 2006, 01:49 PM) *

If your tranny is feeling its age, grinding, and popping out of gear I have the solution for you! If you have checked the other, outside of the tranny causes for these symptoms and found them to be ok then your tranny may be in need of a rebuild.

-Cone set screws

So, you have checked all of the above and it is still not working as it should. What do you do!?

Send it to me!

Options:

1. Send the whole thing to me for a full rebuild and reseal - $500 labor + parts

I am interested in getting your car shifting correctly and lasting a long time while providing you with the greatest value and service. If you have questions I would be happy to help you. If you want to take pics of your gear stack and get an opinion fell free to contact me. Do you want to bring it by and have me take it apart to diagnose it? I will gladly do this, and for free. I will diagnose any tranny for no charge.

I also have a great stock of excellent used internal parts for much less than new with no loss in performance if you are interested.

SHIPPING INSTRUCTIONS:

Through my many rebuilds I and my customers have found the best and least expensive ways to send your trannies to me.

1) Get a plastic water bottle or cup and cut it so it just covers the speedo drive gear. This will keep it from being damages during tranzit like a helmet.
2) Fold some cardboard up and tape it to the end of the drive shaft to give the point some more suface area. This will keep the drive shaft from poking out of the box during shipping.
3) Get some small trash bags and fill them with news paper balls. These bags are them used to cushion the stack by placing them into the box around it. This will also keep the box from collapsing during shipping, and it cheap!
4) Choose the box with the tightest fit to keep your shipping charges down. FedEx has consistantly been the cheapest, most reliable and safest carrier that I have used for shipping large items.

1) Clean off the case. It doesnt have to be clean enough to eat off of, but the cleaner you get it the easier it is to ship and the cleaner it will be when you get it back (because I do not clean them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ).
2) Go to Staples, UHaul, or any other store with packaging materials and get some packaging wrap (the stuff that looks like a big roll of saran plastic wrap).
3) Take your fairly clean tranny and wrap it up with the plastic. Take it to the nearest Grey Hound freight depot ( http://www.shipgreyhound.com/locations/locations.asp ) and ship it to me. Shipping is about $80 coast to coast.

Thats all! any questions feel free to PM me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)

Here is a link to an excellent thread by DNHunt on how to rebuild the tranny should you wish to try it yourself. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=40904&st=0
Hello<
I am new to the 914 thing but enjoying it more each day.... I have a 1972 with a 1.7 eng. ( I think ) the shift linkaege is a little sloppy and as I look at the connection in the rear of trany where the long shift od connect i see the previous owner has anout 4 or 5 heavy duty wire ties all attached in a circle and I presume it is replacing a bushing or something that is gone ?? heck it works but i want to know what is missing and how hard it is to replace it if it is a bushing?? any help would be appreciated.
Dan (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Hi Dan/Jazon;

Sounds like a classic 914 type of fix- could you send a few pics exactly? This would make it very clear where/what/how will lead to the why; this was done this way. A thousand words, you know~ is that picture worth/thanks Dan.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 30 2009, 09:08 AM
Post #51

This discussion would do better in the garage as it would get more hits (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
JazonJJordan
post Jul 4 2009, 02:34 AM
Post #52

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 21 2006, 02:49 PM) *

-Cone set screws

Send it to me!

Options:

SHIPPING INSTRUCTIONS:

Hello Dr. Evil,

in a few months, I would like to send you a Gear Stack, into your care.

It seems to have a fork problem and perhaps you can help things along.

Could you advise a "general" range for the parts cost possible ($30 or $3K?) as I am uncertain if I can proceed. It seems to be a typical one as 901's go. Do you often have to replace every syncho and every bearing or what-not?
Thank you and good day. -jzn
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 5 2009, 07:42 PM
Post #53

The most common parts that need replacing are 1st gear slider ($450), 3 synchro bands ($75 ea) and a seal kit ($40). If I have good used teeth and bands I can sell to you for less with no loss in performance. I may even have a good used 1st slider when you are ready, but those sell out fast and are 1st come 1st severed.
+Quote Post
porsha916
post Sep 4 2009, 11:12 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 2,137

Hi DR.
I have a 215v8 engine in my 914, I am looking to get a trans rebuilt with a 5th gear change to a highest ratio for highway driving. I also would like to trade you some 901 transmissions to keep my cost down, if you are interested. I will be traveling down near Hersey, PA. In the next couple weeks. Please give me approximate cost, an address and a contact number. I am not in big hurry to get it back, in a month or two.
Take Care (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Bill
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Sep 4 2009, 11:45 AM
Post #55

Bill,
Unfortunately, I am getting out of the rebuild biz by June 2010 and as such I am trying to get rid of stock. I only need one core to satisfy orders I have so several cores will not be useful to me. However, I can give that info to my apprentice that will be taking over as he can use them. I can do your rebuild, though. I may even have an HB gear available for you to buy to make your 5th taller. I will be out of town starting Sept 11-21 as I will be teaching rebuild clinics in the PNW and SoCal areas.
Let me know how I can help you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
JazonJJordan
post Sep 5 2009, 11:05 AM
Post #56

Sorry to hear that Dr. Evil but it must be time; pass on all those secrets to your apprentice and we will put him to work. I (shortly) will be sending you mine with the bad fork problem. Perhaps you can massage an easy solution. Enjoy the post grad times : c ) I am premed and two decades as a Paramedic in the field, it is time to shift to the ER and teaching I think. I will be fast on your heels soon~ Good day- Jzn (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 4 2009, 01:45 PM) *

Bill,
Unfortunately, I am getting out of the rebuild biz by June 2010 and as such I am trying to get rid of stock. I only need one core to satisfy orders I have so several cores will not be useful to me. However, I can give that info to my apprentice that will be taking over as he can use them. I can do your rebuild, though. I may even have an HB gear available for you to buy to make your 5th taller. I will be out of town starting Sept 11-21 as I will be teaching rebuild clinics in the PNW and SoCal areas.
Let me know how I can help you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
eyecolor
post Nov 17 2009, 08:43 PM
Post #57

Eyecolor

Member No.: 9,425

Wow

I got to meet the Doc in person when I picked up my rebuilt Tranny.

Thanks Mike for all your hard work and very fair pricing. I appreciate the advice since I barely know which end of the car gets the rebuilt trans.

Again, it goes in horizontally, not vertically?

George O.

Wilmington,DEjava script:emoticon(':driving:',%20'smid_25')
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 17 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #58

Nice meeting you too, George. Keep us all posted on how your voltagewagen comes along.
+Quote Post
Cevan
post Nov 18 2009, 02:43 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 7,351

Quick question regarding my 901 box. I sometimes get a grinding noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd. When I shift from 1st to 2nd, I usually pause briefly in neutral and then shift into 2nd to help eliminate this, but not completely. All the external checks you list have been done. Does this sound like it needs a rebuild? What does the full rebuild entail?

If I sent you the gear stack to have rebuilt per your 1st post, can it be put back in per your instructions, or is there an additional step of adjusting the shift forks?

Thanks.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 18 2009, 03:48 PM
Post #60

With what you describe, I would bet the 2nd slider, teeth and band are poo. I can swap in good used and save you $$ without costing you miles. When you get the stack back, it will be ready to drop in per my instructions. All adjusted, inner bearings prelubed, etc. The good news is this, since you inquire about just a stack rebuild you will have to pull the stack anyway. At that point, we will know if it has crapped out parts as you can take pics and post them. Also, I can get a stack done faster than a whole box rebuild.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:48 AM