Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> One stop transmisison service for less, Questions, rebuilds, diagnoses, etc.
Cevan
post Nov 18 2009, 07:12 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,351

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 18 2009, 04:48 PM) *

With what you describe, I would bet the 2nd slider, teeth and band are poo. I can swap in good used and save you $$ without costing you miles. When you get the stack back, it will be ready to drop in per my instructions. All adjusted, inner bearings prelubed, etc. The good news is this, since you inquire about just a stack rebuild you will have to pull the stack anyway. At that point, we will know if it has crapped out parts as you can take pics and post them. Also, I can get a stack done faster than a whole box rebuild.

Cool. Can you PM me a rough estimate, assuming the 2nd slider, teeth and band have indeed crapped out? I'll be pulling the box out once the snow flies and the salt hits the road. I'll shoot you a PM so I know what you need pictures of.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cevan
post Jan 23 2010, 10:03 PM
Post #62

Here are pics of the 2nd gear dogteeth:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Here is the 2nd/3rd slider from the 3rd gear side:

Attached Image

Here is 1st gear:

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cevan
post Jan 23 2010, 10:06 PM
Post #63

I want to take the 4th/5th gear slider/syncros/dogteeth off one of my extra gear stacks. I'm not sure how to remove these two nuts.

Is this one just on real tight?

Attached Image

I'm not sure how you get a socket on this one. Does the speedo drive come off first? I don't want to break anything.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cevan
post Jan 25 2010, 04:53 PM
Post #64

Here are a couple of shots of the 2nd gear side of the slider. The teeth look pretty sharp to my untrained eye.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 25 2010, 11:46 PM
Post #65

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Those look sharp. The only thing I can assume might be wrong besides adjustment would be internals of the synchro band. Send me the stack and I will inspect and adjust.
+Quote Post
Cevan
post Jan 26 2010, 09:40 AM
Post #66

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 26 2010, 12:46 AM) *

Those look sharp. The only thing I can assume might be wrong besides adjustment would be internals of the synchro band. Send me the stack and I will inspect and adjust.

Sounds like a plan. Please PM me your shipping address. I will try and get the stack out to you in the next couple days. Thanks again.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 14 2010, 08:13 PM
Post #67

OK, I am back in the biz. I can not stay away, I like the work, the people, the income to finance my hobbies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
penp
post Jun 5 2012, 11:22 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 10,271
Region Association: Southern California

What's the deal when the tranny sticks in gear? First time, it stuck in neutral. Then a friend took off the side cover and levered the selectors back in place. Gearbox shifted fine in place, but next time on the track, it stuck again, this time in gear. Did the same thing to unstick, but obviously something's wrong. Is this something simple like a bent shift fork or something, or does the trans need to be rebuilt? Best guess? Thanks.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 6 2012, 04:44 PM
Post #69

Sticking in neutral (cant select ANY gears) and then in gear is a sign of external issues. Maybe a roll pin issue on the shift selector.

It is better to post questions like this in the garage so it doesnt take so long to get answered. There are many in the know there, many thanks to my clinics as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
vw505
post Oct 18 2012, 01:52 AM
Post #70

Member No.: 579
Region Association: None

Are you still building trannys mine does not like down shifting to 1st and 2nd is getting a little sloppy. Looking at a time frame of April or so after i return from my deployment. Wantig a stock rebuild nothing crazy.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Oct 18 2012, 06:56 AM
Post #71

I definitely do. One word of advise, you are NEVER supposed to down shift into 1st. They were not intended to have that done regularly and it is an unnecessary move that wears out the most expensive part in the box needlessly. Let me know when I can help with your transmission.
Semper Paratus
+Quote Post
vw505
post Oct 20 2012, 02:48 AM
Post #72

Member No.: 579

good to know about first gear, i only did it at a slow roll at traffic lights. But 2nd likes to zing a little going in gear. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Oct 22 2012, 07:39 PM
Post #73

Check the clutch cable adjust first. If it is good, then you sound like you need a rebuild.
+Quote Post
sda4property@gmail.com
post Nov 19 2012, 11:27 AM
Post #74

SDA4PORSCHE

Member No.: 14,651
Region Association: Southern California

Dr. Evil...)

1st Gear in the 914 has typically been a disaster.
I use the CA stop method. I slow down to check if the coast is clear then...
Depress the clutch & engage in 2nd.
Skipping 1st gear when-ever possible.

1) I am building a Big Bore 2.2 with all the goodies.
2) Can we make changes to the gear ratios..?
3) I would like gear ratios to match the new motor.

Let me know what is possible.
Call the office to discuss business & pricing.

Fed Ex shipping the whole thing over to you.

Warmest regards,
Scott D Anderson
President
OG72976

DBA:Global Pacific Insurance Services
S.D.A. Insurance Broker, Inc.
1 World Trade Center 8th Floor
Long Beach CA 90831
P-562-983-8015
F-562-983-8001
D-562-987-1850
sanderson@globalpacificinsurance.com
www.globalpacificinsurance.com[/font]

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 19 2012, 04:34 PM
Post #75

Never down shift into 1st to slow down. The boxes are not made for that. Gears can be changed, but for a 2.2 you do not need to if you plan to use it on the road.

What times are you available for calls? I am on the east coast and am pretty busy with my primary job so phone time is limited.
+Quote Post
Dinobx
post Jan 19 2013, 07:37 PM
Post #76

Member No.: 4,592

Hey Dr. Evil,

I sent you an email about a month ago. I guess you didn't receive it. I read that you were doing a tranny clinic up here in Canada, not far from Toronto. I have a 915 in need of having an internal WEVO gate shifter installed as well as the WEVO side shifter installed. Would you be able to include this as part of that clinic?

Also, I didn't see anything in the post on your clinic about pricing for participating in the clinic. Could you please let me know how much it would cost as well?

Thanks alot.

Best regards,

Dino
Toronto

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 21 2006, 02:49 PM) *

Is your tranny feeling like this?

Send it to me and I will make it feel and perform like this!

If your tranny is feeling its age, grinding, and popping out of gear I have the solution for you! If you have checked the other, outside of the tranny causes for these symptoms and found them to be ok then your tranny may be in need of a rebuild.

Some outside of the tranny causes for some of your shifting woes:

-Shifter bushings along the shift rod
-Cone set screws
-Tranny cable adjustment, shifter adjustment
-Clutch, TO bearing, pressure plate
-Engine and tranny mounts

So, you have checked all of the above and it is still not working as it should. What do you do!?

Send it to me!

Options:

1. Send the whole thing to me for a full rebuild and reseal - $500 labor + parts
-Shipping is about $90 coast to coast with Greyhound (see below).
-Please clean the case! I do not have a tank for this.

2. Send the gear stack to me for a full rebuild - $300 labor + parts
-Instructions for removal and install will follow
-Weight of stack and packing is 37lbs
-Shipping with FedEx is about $30 each way

3. Want to convert to a side shift? PM me.

I am interested in getting your car shifting correctly and lasting a long time while providing you with the greatest value and service. If you have questions I would be happy to help you. If you want to take pics of your gear stack and get an opinion fell free to contact me. Do you want to bring it by and have me take it apart to diagnose it? I will gladly do this, and for free. I will diagnose any tranny for no charge.

I also have a great stock of excellent used internal parts for much less than new with no loss in performance if you are interested.

SHIPPING INSTRUCTIONS:

Through my many rebuilds I and my customers have found the best and least expensive ways to send your trannies to me.

For a gear stack only this works best:
1) Get a plastic water bottle or cup and cut it so it just covers the speedo drive gear. This will keep it from being damages during tranzit like a helmet.
2) Fold some cardboard up and tape it to the end of the drive shaft to give the point some more suface area. This will keep the drive shaft from poking out of the box during shipping.
3) Get some small trash bags and fill them with news paper balls. These bags are them used to cushion the stack by placing them into the box around it. This will also keep the box from collapsing during shipping, and it cheap!
4) Choose the box with the tightest fit to keep your shipping charges down. FedEx has consistantly been the cheapest, most reliable and safest carrier that I have used for shipping large items.

For shipping me the whole tranny:
1) Clean off the case. It doesnt have to be clean enough to eat off of, but the cleaner you get it the easier it is to ship and the cleaner it will be when you get it back (because I do not clean them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ).
2) Go to Staples, UHaul, or any other store with packaging materials and get some packaging wrap (the stuff that looks like a big roll of saran plastic wrap).
3) Take your fairly clean tranny and wrap it up with the plastic. Take it to the nearest Grey Hound freight depot ( http://www.shipgreyhound.com/locations/locations.asp ) and ship it to me. Shipping is about $90 coast to coast.

You can FedEx the whole thing to me as well for a few $$ more at about $125 coast to coast (easier and I would cut you a break on price).

Thats all! any questions feel free to PM me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)

Here is a link to an excellent thread by DNHunt on how to rebuild the tranny should you wish to try it yourself. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=40904&st=0

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 19 2013, 08:03 PM
Post #77

Dino,

The 915 will not be covered at the clinic. If you have a 901 to build then I can help you out. If you want to bring you 915 to me, or ship it I can do the work for you.

My email is makemy914go at yahoo.
+Quote Post
rjames
post May 15 2013, 06:09 PM
Post #78

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My transmission just landed at Dr. Evil's doorstep. Very excited to have yet another item on my car sorted out soon!
+Quote Post
Jacket
post May 15 2013, 06:28 PM
Post #79

Member No.: 13,879

Dr. Evil, Do you have a schedule of when and where you will be doing rebuild clincs. Thanks.
+Quote Post
RazorbackFan78
post Jan 8 2014, 07:27 PM
Post #80

3 different layers of paint helps protect if from rust

Member No.: 15,709
Region Association: South East States

I noticed the original post from 2006 shows shipping greyhound coast to coast for a complete trans was $50 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) So fast forwarding to 2014 and I'm wondering what your preferred carrier is nowadays? And any idea on the cost?

I ask because I'm 1,200 miles away from Virginia so I have a hunch it will be cheaper to ship you mine at a later date vs attend the Williamsburg Clinic for some hands-on action.

***EDIT***

So I got off my lazy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) and got a quote from greyhound. Coast-to-coastis now $112. FYI Website shows Max Weight is 100lbs (a trans doesn't way more than that does it?)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1364.photobucket.com-15709-1389278609.1.jpg)

Thanks
Matt
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 12:34 AM