Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> in the "i shoulda known" category...., sneaky exhaust manifold gaskets
scottb
post Jul 23 2006, 04:48 PM
Post #1

who wants a PEZ?!

Group: Members
Member No.: 32
Region Association: North East States

gonna hang myself out for ridicule here but if i can save another my headaches, so be it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif)

as some of you may know, i have been chasing exhaust leaks on my new header system. i have broken a dog ear on a stub pipe which has slowed me down but i also had some leaks that just didn't make sense.

i used new gaskets... no good. i doubled up as some suggested... no good.

so today, i took a moment and took a REALLY good look at the seating area for the manifold gaskets. i scratched at the seating area and hmmmm.... copper color! an old gasket was still there. nothing was ever gonna seat right and i was TRIPLE gasketing (is that a word)!

so with a little encouragement, i was able to get out the old gaskets, cleaned up the seating area and put new gaskets in waiting for the repaired stub pipe.

ya, it is a stupid mistake, but it looked like it was just black, not copper up there.

so scrape a little at the seating area for the manifold gasket and make certain an old one isn't still sitting there. it may save you the headaches i have had.

cheers and now back to listening to someone who knows what they are doing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:59 AM