Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: in the "i shoulda known" category....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottb
gonna hang myself out for ridicule here but if i can save another my headaches, so be it. alfred.gif

as some of you may know, i have been chasing exhaust leaks on my new header system. i have broken a dog ear on a stub pipe which has slowed me down but i also had some leaks that just didn't make sense.

i used new gaskets... no good. i doubled up as some suggested... no good.

so today, i took a moment and took a REALLY good look at the seating area for the manifold gaskets. i scratched at the seating area and hmmmm.... copper color! an old gasket was still there. nothing was ever gonna seat right and i was TRIPLE gasketing (is that a word)!

so with a little encouragement, i was able to get out the old gaskets, cleaned up the seating area and put new gaskets in waiting for the repaired stub pipe.

ya, it is a stupid mistake, but it looked like it was just black, not copper up there.

so scrape a little at the seating area for the manifold gasket and make certain an old one isn't still sitting there. it may save you the headaches i have had.

cheers and now back to listening to someone who knows what they are doing! beer.gif
Cap'n Krusty
BT, seen that. BTW, we have a word for double gasketing (or more). That word is "STUPID". It's also counterproductive and ineffective, especailly in exhaust situations. The Cap'n
McMark
I've never had problems with my quintuple gasket procedure. tooth.gif

lol2.gif

was TRIPLE gasketing (is that a word)!

It is now! biggrin.gif

Glad you got it solved, regardless.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.