Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Stock Rotors, Resurfacing...
yarin
post Jul 24 2006, 08:30 AM
Post #1

'14-X'in FOOL

Group: Members
Member No.: 693
Region Association: North East States

Can I walk into any brake shop and have them cut my stock '72 rotors with the bearing seats in and "custom lug studs" threaded in? This is assuming rotor thickness is ok, 9.5mm after cut. Where do they pickup center of rotation? I would worry about them scratching the bearing seats. Comments?

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
Joe Ricard
post Jul 24 2006, 09:41 AM
Post #2

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Yup not a problem to have them cut most shops have 1 guy that can run the brake lathe.

No big deal for street cars to turn rotors. However I don't think you should do this for a track car. Rotors don't really have enough mass the way it is. removing even more and the rotor will surely be shot after 1 DE.
Why are you contemplating turning. al they really warped? junk them and get new. if it is just to bed in new pads then cut the glaze on the rotor with some sand paper.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jul 24 2006, 10:52 AM
Post #3

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

the cost of new rotors is almost negligible.... peace of mind no? new bearings and rotors should be well under 100 bucks
+Quote Post
yarin
post Jul 24 2006, 11:38 AM
Post #4

'14-X'in FOOL

Member No.: 693
Region Association: North East States

I was hoping to get them turned for $10 a piece, drop them off at lunch and pickup on the way home. Most places want to charge $40 for two. Not worth it considering I have new rotors sitting in the garage and I just gave in and ordered new bearings and seals.

How many DEs are fresh stock rotors good for with semi-aggressive pads? Stock 2.0, "yellow" classed DE driver.

I'm hoping to get it all back together on Saturday so I can try to autox on sunday.

The reason i'm doing the brakes is because i suspect the rotors are warped. Coming to a stop the steering wheel / whole car undulates unevenly.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jul 24 2006, 12:06 PM
Post #5

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

It's not always a rotor that is warped. Sometimes the pads leave deposits on the rotor and tend to grab the deposits more than bare metal. Again a quick sanding of the rotor will clean it up. and use your brakes harder so it don't happen again.

The how long will they last thing is a bit subjective. the only lapping day I ever did was 60 laps consisting of 1.8 mile 14 turn with speeds up to 115. Then how hard you brake is a biggy to this variable.
Best advice I can give is use the best equipment you can to ensure the best bang for your buck. track fees, fuel, etc. having a great day because your brakes didn't fail.... Priceless.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:20 AM