Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock Rotors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
Can I walk into any brake shop and have them cut my stock '72 rotors with the bearing seats in and "custom lug studs" threaded in? This is assuming rotor thickness is ok, 9.5mm after cut. Where do they pickup center of rotation? I would worry about them scratching the bearing seats. Comments?

Thanks
Joe Ricard
Yup not a problem to have them cut most shops have 1 guy that can run the brake lathe.

No big deal for street cars to turn rotors. However I don't think you should do this for a track car. Rotors don't really have enough mass the way it is. removing even more and the rotor will surely be shot after 1 DE.
Why are you contemplating turning. al they really warped? junk them and get new. if it is just to bed in new pads then cut the glaze on the rotor with some sand paper.
Aaron Cox
the cost of new rotors is almost negligible.... peace of mind no? new bearings and rotors should be well under 100 bucks
yarin
I was hoping to get them turned for $10 a piece, drop them off at lunch and pickup on the way home. Most places want to charge $40 for two. Not worth it considering I have new rotors sitting in the garage and I just gave in and ordered new bearings and seals.

How many DEs are fresh stock rotors good for with semi-aggressive pads? Stock 2.0, "yellow" classed DE driver.

I'm hoping to get it all back together on Saturday so I can try to autox on sunday.

The reason i'm doing the brakes is because i suspect the rotors are warped. Coming to a stop the steering wheel / whole car undulates unevenly.
Joe Ricard
It's not always a rotor that is warped. Sometimes the pads leave deposits on the rotor and tend to grab the deposits more than bare metal. Again a quick sanding of the rotor will clean it up. and use your brakes harder so it don't happen again.

The how long will they last thing is a bit subjective. the only lapping day I ever did was 60 laps consisting of 1.8 mile 14 turn with speeds up to 115. Then how hard you brake is a biggy to this variable.
Best advice I can give is use the best equipment you can to ensure the best bang for your buck. track fees, fuel, etc. having a great day because your brakes didn't fail.... Priceless.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.