Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where should I send my heads, Opinions needed
Allan
post Jul 25 2006, 06:59 PM
Post #21

Teenerless Weenie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 25 2006, 04:58 PM) *

I just checked RimcoVW website and was astonished.....

914 heads for a complete reconditioning (depending on valves used) $1205 per head. SAY WHAT? Is that a misprint or....?

I had my heads rebuilt by Rimco and ended up paying $855.00 including welding up all the cracks. That was 2 years ago, but I can't see the prices going up THAT much... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jul 25 2006, 08:06 PM
Post #22

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 25 2006, 07:54 PM) *

NO ONE does heads like Len! I have used every other soul on the planet and on his worst day Len is better than his closest competitor on their best!

Generally rebuilding and upgrading a set of 2.0 heads costs 1K at minimum with updated hardware. Then you still have a 30 year old head thats been heat cycled millions of times.

Start from scratch and be done with it. Beware, we just bought every new head casting we could find due to the prices going up because of the Euro exchange rates. After August 1 all head prices will go up 160.00 per pair.

Skimp on heads and you'll end up on the side of the road, no one touches my heads but Len.

Jake when your site came back up today I was gawcking at your cylinder heads. The description of the LE 180 through LE 200 are the same. Makes it tough to figure out what I need. I believe the 190 will be good for my intended 2098 with 86b +5 split duration cam and tangerine header 40 or 44 IDF's Yup nit picking because that's my real job. Reading shit all day.
+Quote Post
DanT
post Jul 25 2006, 08:12 PM
Post #23

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 25 2006, 05:07 PM) *

914 heads for a complete reconditioning (depending on valves used) $1205 per head. SAY WHAT? Is that a misprint or....?

Makes those brand new heads from Jake look pretty sweet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

for under $1600, 2 brand new heads....

Gee, I wonder what a really good set of heads would cost?

Say ones that flowed a maximum of 202.3 cfm at .500 (intake) and 144.9 at .500 (exhaust) totally refreshed and with a matching cam. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Gee Randal,

what would a really good pair cost? Know where I could get some? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Only problem is, they won't work with the engine combination I want to build, unless someone can convince me otherwise. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 25 2006, 08:26 PM
Post #24

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Jake when your site came back up today I was gawcking at your cylinder heads. The description of the LE 180 through LE 200 are the same. Makes it tough to figure out what I need. I believe the 190 will be good for my intended 2098 with 86b +5 split duration cam and tangerine header 40 or 44 IDF's Yup nit picking because that's my real job. Reading shit all day.

They are not the same on my end..

Anything more than a 180 is overkill for a 2056, it would LOSE power more than likely..

Site has been weird all day, they upgraded the server for another expansion I have planned in September!
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 25 2006, 08:32 PM
Post #25

Engine Surgeon

OOps, I meant to say anything more than a 190 would be overkill for a 2056...

+Quote Post
Al Meredith
post Jul 25 2006, 08:48 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 3,061

I must add my $.02 ! Len is the Man. I've used his services for a couple of years. A more knowledgeable craftsman would be hard to find. His is in the shop and does the work. Great guy too! Al
+Quote Post
BenNC
post Jul 25 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 267

Now I remember why this site is so great. 25 replies in 6 hours.

Got some calling to do tomorrow.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 25 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #28

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 25 2006, 10:12 PM) *

what would a really good pair cost?

Labor on a set of race heads will cost between 2-3K. Parts can go from $600 up to $1200 or so. Then you can add coatings $2-500
The carbs and manifolds will need massaging to keep up with the heads $500-$1000
Once you spend that much on headwork and intake the next thing needed to keep things flowing is a proper exhaust system $1700-$2200
Nickies cylinders with JE Pistons $3000?
Billet CrMo rods $1000
Casework $1000
Ground and balanced crank & lightened flywheel $1000
I'm up to 13K so far and haven't included a lot of stuff yet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Jul 26 2006, 01:43 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

You will have a hard time understanding Adrian and he doesn't do what you tell him to do. You better check his work when you get the parts back.

I have never had him do heads for me, but Len has a good attitude and he knows his stuff.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jul 26 2006, 08:26 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 25 2006, 05:54 PM) *

NO ONE does heads like Len! I have used every other soul on the planet and on his worst day Len is better than his closest competitor on their best!

Generally rebuilding and upgrading a set of 2.0 heads costs 1K at minimum with updated hardware. Then you still have a 30 year old head thats been heat cycled millions of times.

Start from scratch and be done with it. Beware, we just bought every new head casting we could find due to the prices going up because of the Euro exchange rates. After August 1 all head prices will go up 160.00 per pair.

Skimp on heads and you'll end up on the side of the road, no one touches my heads but Len.

I love (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) Len's heads as well, but I can even show a picture of the ones Jake had him do for my 2.4; of course unless it taken from 1000 feet. So I guess you can't see them, but you'll shortly be hearing them as soon as J&E re-do my pistons for the third time....
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 26 2006, 09:02 PM
Post #31

Engine Surgeon

I love Len's heads as well, but I can even show a picture of the ones Jake had him do for my 2.4;

Thats mainly due to the proprietary valvetrain they incorporate, especially the springs and retainers (retainers weigh LESS than 3 grams) that Len worked on like a maniac for our production engines..

Don't feel bad, at the runoffs we couldn't even pop the valve covers off the engines without Len going insane... every racer has the specific instructions that those springs and retainers are not to be seen by ANYONE!

Len takes the stuff even more seriously than I do.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jul 26 2006, 09:26 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 26 2006, 08:02 PM) *

I love Len's heads as well, but I can even show a picture of the ones Jake had him do for my 2.4;

Thats mainly due to the proprietary valvetrain they incorporate, especially the springs and retainers (retainers weigh LESS than 3 grams) that Len worked on like a maniac for our production engines..

Don't feel bad, at the runoffs we couldn't even pop the valve covers off the engines without Len going insane... every racer has the specific instructions that those springs and retainers are not to be seen by ANYONE!

Len takes the stuff even more seriously than I do.

I will be posting the dyno runs from Link, so that is going to be fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Brando
post Jul 27 2006, 01:51 PM
Post #33

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

Makes those brand new heads from Jake look pretty sweet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

for under $1600, 2 brand new heads....

Must be a misprint... I've got mine down there... complete valve job (with new guides and stainless valves) and a complete machine job on the case and bottom end... without the 96mm P&Cs i'm lookin at about $700 and change...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 05:08 AM