Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drag racing my V-8 914 LS6, went out to break 12 seconds today and...
wbergtho
post Aug 2 2006, 05:10 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 623

Renegade is a good source for us V-8 guys and they are known to offer well engineered & crafted components. They actually do not do any in house trans work that I'm aware of...although they say they do. They have CA Motorports in Lake Havasu, AZ do their serious trans work (they don't have time to do it themselves...but they do have the time to mark up Bobby Hart's work over a CA Motorsports). It actually makes perfect business sense for Renegade in this regard. All I'm saying is this...find your own core...hope the primary internals are in nice rebuidable shape (you will almost never know until Bobby opens it up) and cut out the middle man. Bobby is very good and very honest. I have not heard of one unhappy customer...ever. What I like about him is he will explain things and cheerfully talk with you...even after he's cashed your check. He seriously wants you to be happy...so his word of mouth becomes favorable every time. The only reason I'm talking him up so much is because I've had him do 3 boxes for me in the past 6 years...and every time has been a good experience. I love to pass the word on about people I like and trust. His number is 928 855-5755. Get your core sent to him and have him do the rest. Best advice I can give.

Bill
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Aug 2 2006, 05:30 PM
Post #42

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463
Region Association: None

QUOTE(dwillouby @ Aug 2 2006, 09:30 AM) *

Bill I am wanting to do a 930 upgrade as soon as the wife lets me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Your setup appears to work very good.
What type of mounts, shifter, axles, ect. Cost est.?

Thanks
David

David,

Here is what I have (just another option).

I bought a used 930 trans from a Porsche mechanic and he pulled the cover and inspected everything to be sure it was all good, put new carrier bearings in it and I paid $2200 cash. Great deal... just keep your eyes open. I waited almost 5yrs while doing the V8 car and always watching/asking around about a deal. Found this thru one of the mechs in back at Hergesheimer for instance (his friend that owned another Porsche shop).

Then I ran it inverted, BUT you really have to drop the motor to pull this off with the 930, so expect to need to flip the r/p. You can buy this already rebuilt and done from CA Mtrspt in "Have-a-screw" as Bill mentioned - I almost went with them when I found my deal. Seem like a solid group to buy from and came recommended by many shops.

Then make a cable shifter. Easy.

The axles I have are the turbos that bolt right up to the trans. You use a late Carrera hub and some spacers from Patrick Motorsports. They have a "kit" but get a chunk-o-change for it. Source the parts elsewhere much cheaper and just buy his spacer.

Or do what I did, tell him he charges too much and give him prices from Pelican that are online (he can verify) and he ended up matching their prices and I bought it all from him. Jim has been cool to deal with the past few years. He will sell you the used hubs, bearings, and new axle set and spacers. Sets you back somewhere in the $900-$1K neighborhood from him.

You won't break that setup.

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/cgi-bin/...cat2=&cat3=

You won't need the adapters for the trans since you will be 930, so that will whittle the price down from $1200 right there. Talk to Jim - he's cool - if you go this route.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Aug 3 2006, 09:17 AM
Post #43

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

You never responded to this:
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Aug 3 2006, 11:03 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 623

I assume you want pics from the track and I didn't bring my camera. If you are looking for a general pic of the car...here's one. If you want a few videos from the street and roadcourse, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll be happy to send them to you.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th June 2024 - 12:11 AM