Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: I need a street bike, 50+mpg, Cheap...
Andyrew
post Jul 29 2006, 09:03 PM
Post #1

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Im looking to get a street bike, I figure its about time for me to learn to ride one..

I want something used, something I can get a hold of in good mechanical condition for under 1500. Something that if I lay down, its not the end of the world. (as long as Im ok)
I want it to have over 50 miles to the gallon, the more the better.
I dont want 70hp.. I dont want to have the temptation of doing wheelies at 60 miles an hour, or flying by at 140mph.. Thats what I have my car for...

I dont want a dirt bike, and I dont want a cross bike.. (or whatever there called)

I want a strictly street bike that I can insure cheap, and drive to work and back with no worries asside from crazy people in cars.

ALSO..

What do you guys think of this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STREET-LEGA...1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone have one?

What about the Kawasaki ninja's?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
HeloMech
post Jul 29 2006, 09:13 PM
Post #2

Go Ahead, Get Pistoph!

Member No.: 4,718
Region Association: Southern California

I think with that thing, it would be ok for a short while then become a problem. You'd be better off with something better that's used rather than that cheap chinese or whatever it is thing.

Look around at www.crashclub.net there's a for sale section there. It's a lot of great people over there that will steer you in the right direction. Someone always knows someone selling a bike, even in other clubs.

+Quote Post
Nick Pawloski
post Jul 29 2006, 09:26 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,026

The Kawasaki EX500 is a good choice for a beginner. I believe its a parallel twin, has decent power to get you where you need to go, not too flashy. The Ninja 500 is pretty much the same bike with fairings. Both have been made for a long time, pretty bulletproof bikes, plenty of parts available.
Any of the smaller cruiser bikes would be a good choice, Honda Rebels, Suzuki Savages, etc.
Honda Nighthawks are great bikes too. I wouldn't suggest going as small as a 250, unless you have never ridden anything before, or are really unsure if bikes are for you.
Get something you'll be happy riding for the next year or so, because if you go too small, you'll be done "learning" in a month or two and will want something with a little more kick.
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Jul 29 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #4

Summer's Commin...

Member No.: 4,611
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Nick Pawloski @ Jul 29 2006, 07:26 PM) *

The Kawasaki EX500 is a good choice for a beginner. I believe its a parallel twin, has decent power to get you where you need to go, not too flashy. The Ninja 500 is pretty much the same bike with fairings. Both have been made for a long time, pretty bulletproof bikes, plenty of parts available.
Any of the smaller cruiser bikes would be a good choice, Honda Rebels, Suzuki Savages, etc.
Honda Nighthawks are great bikes too. I wouldn't suggest going as small as a 250, unless you have never ridden anything before, or are really unsure if bikes are for you.
Get something you'll be happy riding for the next year or so, because if you go too small, you'll be done "learning" in a month or two and will want something with a little more kick.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Also don't go over 600cc, don't let anyone talk you into a 750, 1,000 or higher....
I know to many people who have started way beyond their abilities, and ended up in the hospital.. They are the lucky ones..... Ride in full leathers, and a helmet, please......
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 29 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

I have only had two friends die on EX 500's. Not the bikes fault.

Is this really needed Andrew? What about a 1.7 914 or something?

B
+Quote Post
wertygrog
post Jul 29 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #6

wertygrog

Member No.: 5,114
Region Association: Southern California

FINALLY just got my '74 Honda CL360 on the road....

so to answer your cheap cost and cheap insurance question, i say...get an old bike!!! I love my old honda, rides great and is powerful considering its age...look on craigslist and your local classifieds.

don't go with that bike you linked too on ebay, you need more than 200cc to get you out of trouble, but like people are saying no more than 600cc..

and PLEASE if you are inexperienced with motorcycles, take the MSF or other course before you hit the streets, or you are going to die. Period.

Have fun, i can't live without my bike now that ive tried it!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Brent
+Quote Post
nocones
post Jul 29 2006, 11:08 PM
Post #7

Sportscar lunatic

Member No.: 2,220

First I would suggest signing up for the MSF course held in your area. Basic rider training that will give you a good set of fundamentals. Plus, it is accepted in the place of taking the riding test at the DMV.
Also, please budget $1000 for gear, no matter what bike you choose. A good helmet, gloves, boots, etc...
Jeans are not riding pants.

The Kawi EX500 is an excellent bike, available cheap, and easy to maintain.
Not sure of the mileage, but it should be sufficient.
Suzuki GS500 is another winner.
Both are parallel twins.

I had a nighthawk for a first bike, and it was great. Good mileage, reliable and cheap.
I wouldn't advise getting anything much more than ~13 years old. You want this to be a tool, not another project, right?

The cruiser-type bikes will be slow to react in traffic situations. They don't handle particularly well and generally don't have very good brakes.

Personally I'm a huge fan of enduro bikes. I know you said you aren't interested but they can be had cheap, are nimble and fun to ride, and won't get you sent to jail for felony speeding.
Kawasaki KLR is one of the best for your needs.

Be careful, you might start spending more time on your bike than working on your 914.
+Quote Post
nocones
post Jul 29 2006, 11:10 PM
Post #8

Sportscar lunatic

Member No.: 2,220

Oh, and please, please don't buy the knockoff on ebay.
Stick with the major brands. Parts failures on a bike are much worse then in a car.
+Quote Post
Flat VW
post Jul 29 2006, 11:15 PM
Post #9

Illegal Soapbox Derby Racecar

Member No.: 3,105

Save your own life, skip the motorcycle.

These little cars we like are plenty HARRY enough. Ask how I know...

John (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

P.S. How does one 'lay down' a motorcycle without getting torn up?
Dropping it, I understand.

P.P.S. I was in a motorcycle accident with a Chevy Blazer at fifteen years old.
My recent wreck in the teener that damn near killed me was a 'piece of cake' compared to my injuries on the motorcycle (cerebral hemorrage).

P.P.P.S. All of the above meant with the best of intentions towards you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)
+Quote Post
Flat VW
post Jul 29 2006, 11:16 PM
Post #10

Illegal Soapbox Derby Racecar

Member No.: 3,105

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 29 2006, 09:30 PM) *

I have only had two friends die on EX 500's. Not the bikes fault.

Is this really needed Andrew? What about a 1.7 914 or something?

B

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
firstknight13
post Jul 29 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 3,817

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
orange914
post Jul 29 2006, 11:56 PM
Post #12

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818

here ya go!! this baby wont tempt your need for speed

Attached Image
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Jul 29 2006, 11:58 PM
Post #13

no rules, just wrong

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 141

Andyrew, how much driving do you do from work to home to school or whatever?
+Quote Post
orange914
post Jul 30 2006, 12:01 AM
Post #14

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818

pic of the monster

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 30 2006, 02:24 AM
Post #15

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Went to a movie and I got the reply's I wanted.

My work is 4 mins away from me, my school is 10 mins away, but it has bad traffic. Work I take all backroads.

I am not allowed to get another car... Basically parents say sell it, or drive it. I am NOT SELLING my 914. And since I figure im a ways from making it perfectly streetable, I need something else.
My mother does not want any more cars than we have garage space for. For some reason she thinks that because we have a 4 car garage, means we can only have 4 cars... Even though we currently have 6 on our property (3 porsche's, moms mitsu, el camino, friends junker that will be towed soon) I have plenty of room behind my car to fit the bike.

To be honest, I know I will have a bike someday, I'd like to learn to ride one, I need that skill under my belt.

I know how dangerous it is to ride a bike.
And yes, I will invest is proper gear, Leathers, Jacket, Full face helmet that fits good (I have 2 open faces for autox, and dad has a full face, but its loose) gloves, and I will buy some decent driving shoes too.. (for the car morely... lol)

"Ride a motorcycle like everyone is trying to kill you"

I know I can get going a little quick in my car... but even though I have nothing in the car, and no cage, I feel 100x safer than riding a motor cycle. I will NOT do stunts in the bike, I do NOT want anything over 500cc's. I believe 250cc's should be plenty.

I read the specs on the ninja 250r.. 0-60 5.75, 1/4 14.xx @88 top speed "105" yet I've read that it will do 130.

That, my friends, is on par with just about all the sub 30k sports cars.. Simular to the 944 turbo (which is fin fast...)

MPG is a huge factor here, Also parking at my school parking lot is a freeking huge factor.. I have literally spent 30 mins finding a parking lot.

Kenny.. say no to the scooter.

I will definately take a MSF course. They have them at my school parking lot on weekends.

Brad.. Another 914 would be my first choice.. but reliability, space, and money is the factor here.
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Jul 30 2006, 03:06 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

I really want a bike myself. But I know I will get killed. The way I drive and the way I race bicycles I just don't have a sellf control to drive a bike safely on the road.

I took a cbr 600rr out for a spin a few weeks ago. It was alot of fun. Even comes in orange!!! But I just can't control myself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
hcdmueller
post Jul 30 2006, 03:32 AM
Post #17

?????????????

Member No.: 5,527
Region Association: England

A couple people have mentioned it and I will reiterate. The gear you wear is the most important investment you can make. It doesn't have to be top of the line but you need to have full protection. I used to get out on the race track a lot and have wrecked many times at speeds from 30 to 85 MPH and the gear saved my butt many times. Never more than bruises and sore muscles.
I have hurt myself very badly several times. Those were always on the street when I was just riding around town in less than proper gear. Lots of road rash, torn muscles, and bad knees. That is why I moved back towards cars. Still have the bike though. Lets just say a 600 will get you in a lot of trouble. You are right for choosing something smaller.
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jul 30 2006, 04:32 AM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

there's two kind of bikers...
those who've crashed, and those who still need to crash
nuf said

I like bikes, but I'll never ride or own one
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Jul 30 2006, 07:26 AM
Post #19

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

Take the safe riding class.
Learn the skill.

Don't buy a bike.
They are much to dangerous.
Ask me how I know.

+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Jul 30 2006, 07:39 AM
Post #20

Summer's Commin...

Member No.: 4,611
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

If you really need a bike, as you say you do. Get a dirt bike, and stay on the dirt. You will still far, but you take the car factor out of it... Listen to everything written here. All good advice, especially the advice on not getting a bike for the street. I worked in the industry for a number of years, and I talked with far to many people that put the bike down, and were lucky enough to live through it...

Be safe..
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 07:56 AM