Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: I need a street bike
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Andyrew
Im looking to get a street bike, I figure its about time for me to learn to ride one..

I want something used, something I can get a hold of in good mechanical condition for under 1500. Something that if I lay down, its not the end of the world. (as long as Im ok)
I want it to have over 50 miles to the gallon, the more the better.
I dont want 70hp.. I dont want to have the temptation of doing wheelies at 60 miles an hour, or flying by at 140mph.. Thats what I have my car for...

I dont want a dirt bike, and I dont want a cross bike.. (or whatever there called)

I want a strictly street bike that I can insure cheap, and drive to work and back with no worries asside from crazy people in cars.

ALSO..

What do you guys think of this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STREET-LEGA...1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone have one?

What about the Kawasaki ninja's?
HeloMech
I think with that thing, it would be ok for a short while then become a problem. You'd be better off with something better that's used rather than that cheap chinese or whatever it is thing.

Look around at www.crashclub.net there's a for sale section there. It's a lot of great people over there that will steer you in the right direction. Someone always knows someone selling a bike, even in other clubs.

Nick Pawloski
The Kawasaki EX500 is a good choice for a beginner. I believe its a parallel twin, has decent power to get you where you need to go, not too flashy. The Ninja 500 is pretty much the same bike with fairings. Both have been made for a long time, pretty bulletproof bikes, plenty of parts available.
Any of the smaller cruiser bikes would be a good choice, Honda Rebels, Suzuki Savages, etc.
Honda Nighthawks are great bikes too. I wouldn't suggest going as small as a 250, unless you have never ridden anything before, or are really unsure if bikes are for you.
Get something you'll be happy riding for the next year or so, because if you go too small, you'll be done "learning" in a month or two and will want something with a little more kick.
TINCAN914
QUOTE(Nick Pawloski @ Jul 29 2006, 07:26 PM) *

The Kawasaki EX500 is a good choice for a beginner. I believe its a parallel twin, has decent power to get you where you need to go, not too flashy. The Ninja 500 is pretty much the same bike with fairings. Both have been made for a long time, pretty bulletproof bikes, plenty of parts available.
Any of the smaller cruiser bikes would be a good choice, Honda Rebels, Suzuki Savages, etc.
Honda Nighthawks are great bikes too. I wouldn't suggest going as small as a 250, unless you have never ridden anything before, or are really unsure if bikes are for you.
Get something you'll be happy riding for the next year or so, because if you go too small, you'll be done "learning" in a month or two and will want something with a little more kick.

agree.gif

Also don't go over 600cc, don't let anyone talk you into a 750, 1,000 or higher....
I know to many people who have started way beyond their abilities, and ended up in the hospital.. They are the lucky ones..... Ride in full leathers, and a helmet, please......
Brad Roberts
I have only had two friends die on EX 500's. Not the bikes fault.

Is this really needed Andrew? What about a 1.7 914 or something?

B
wertygrog
FINALLY just got my '74 Honda CL360 on the road....

so to answer your cheap cost and cheap insurance question, i say...get an old bike!!! I love my old honda, rides great and is powerful considering its age...look on craigslist and your local classifieds.

don't go with that bike you linked too on ebay, you need more than 200cc to get you out of trouble, but like people are saying no more than 600cc..

and PLEASE if you are inexperienced with motorcycles, take the MSF or other course before you hit the streets, or you are going to die. Period.

Have fun, i can't live without my bike now that ive tried it!! biggrin.gif
Brent
nocones
First I would suggest signing up for the MSF course held in your area. Basic rider training that will give you a good set of fundamentals. Plus, it is accepted in the place of taking the riding test at the DMV.
Also, please budget $1000 for gear, no matter what bike you choose. A good helmet, gloves, boots, etc...
Jeans are not riding pants.

The Kawi EX500 is an excellent bike, available cheap, and easy to maintain.
Not sure of the mileage, but it should be sufficient.
Suzuki GS500 is another winner.
Both are parallel twins.

I had a nighthawk for a first bike, and it was great. Good mileage, reliable and cheap.
I wouldn't advise getting anything much more than ~13 years old. You want this to be a tool, not another project, right?

The cruiser-type bikes will be slow to react in traffic situations. They don't handle particularly well and generally don't have very good brakes.

Personally I'm a huge fan of enduro bikes. I know you said you aren't interested but they can be had cheap, are nimble and fun to ride, and won't get you sent to jail for felony speeding.
Kawasaki KLR is one of the best for your needs.

Be careful, you might start spending more time on your bike than working on your 914.
nocones
Oh, and please, please don't buy the knockoff on ebay.
Stick with the major brands. Parts failures on a bike are much worse then in a car.
Flat VW
Save your own life, skip the motorcycle.

These little cars we like are plenty HARRY enough. Ask how I know...

John headbang.gif

P.S. How does one 'lay down' a motorcycle without getting torn up?
Dropping it, I understand.

P.P.S. I was in a motorcycle accident with a Chevy Blazer at fifteen years old.
My recent wreck in the teener that damn near killed me was a 'piece of cake' compared to my injuries on the motorcycle (cerebral hemorrage).

P.P.P.S. All of the above meant with the best of intentions towards you. wavey.gif
Flat VW
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 29 2006, 09:30 PM) *

I have only had two friends die on EX 500's. Not the bikes fault.

Is this really needed Andrew? What about a 1.7 914 or something?

B

agree.gif
firstknight13
agree.gif aktion035.gif popcorn[1].gif
orange914
here ya go!! this baby wont tempt your need for speed

Click to view attachment
jonwatts
Andyrew, how much driving do you do from work to home to school or whatever?
orange914
pic of the monster

Click to view attachment

Andyrew
Went to a movie and I got the reply's I wanted.

My work is 4 mins away from me, my school is 10 mins away, but it has bad traffic. Work I take all backroads.

I am not allowed to get another car... Basically parents say sell it, or drive it. I am NOT SELLING my 914. And since I figure im a ways from making it perfectly streetable, I need something else.
My mother does not want any more cars than we have garage space for. For some reason she thinks that because we have a 4 car garage, means we can only have 4 cars... Even though we currently have 6 on our property (3 porsche's, moms mitsu, el camino, friends junker that will be towed soon) I have plenty of room behind my car to fit the bike.

To be honest, I know I will have a bike someday, I'd like to learn to ride one, I need that skill under my belt.

I know how dangerous it is to ride a bike.
And yes, I will invest is proper gear, Leathers, Jacket, Full face helmet that fits good (I have 2 open faces for autox, and dad has a full face, but its loose) gloves, and I will buy some decent driving shoes too.. (for the car morely... lol)

"Ride a motorcycle like everyone is trying to kill you"

I know I can get going a little quick in my car... but even though I have nothing in the car, and no cage, I feel 100x safer than riding a motor cycle. I will NOT do stunts in the bike, I do NOT want anything over 500cc's. I believe 250cc's should be plenty.

I read the specs on the ninja 250r.. 0-60 5.75, 1/4 14.xx @88 top speed "105" yet I've read that it will do 130.

That, my friends, is on par with just about all the sub 30k sports cars.. Simular to the 944 turbo (which is fin fast...)

MPG is a huge factor here, Also parking at my school parking lot is a freeking huge factor.. I have literally spent 30 mins finding a parking lot.

Kenny.. say no to the scooter.

I will definately take a MSF course. They have them at my school parking lot on weekends.

Brad.. Another 914 would be my first choice.. but reliability, space, and money is the factor here.
turboman808
I really want a bike myself. But I know I will get killed. The way I drive and the way I race bicycles I just don't have a sellf control to drive a bike safely on the road.

I took a cbr 600rr out for a spin a few weeks ago. It was alot of fun. Even comes in orange!!! But I just can't control myself driving.gif
hcdmueller
A couple people have mentioned it and I will reiterate. The gear you wear is the most important investment you can make. It doesn't have to be top of the line but you need to have full protection. I used to get out on the race track a lot and have wrecked many times at speeds from 30 to 85 MPH and the gear saved my butt many times. Never more than bruises and sore muscles.
I have hurt myself very badly several times. Those were always on the street when I was just riding around town in less than proper gear. Lots of road rash, torn muscles, and bad knees. That is why I moved back towards cars. Still have the bike though. Lets just say a 600 will get you in a lot of trouble. You are right for choosing something smaller.
Jeroen
there's two kind of bikers...
those who've crashed, and those who still need to crash
nuf said

I like bikes, but I'll never ride or own one
VegasRacer
Take the safe riding class.
Learn the skill.

Don't buy a bike.
They are much to dangerous.
Ask me how I know.

TINCAN914
If you really need a bike, as you say you do. Get a dirt bike, and stay on the dirt. You will still far, but you take the car factor out of it... Listen to everything written here. All good advice, especially the advice on not getting a bike for the street. I worked in the industry for a number of years, and I talked with far to many people that put the bike down, and were lucky enough to live through it...

Be safe..
joeav8tor
this gets 42 mpg...It is unfortunate that people suck at driving, and dont pay attention (especially with bikes)...in less than two days I am riding to the Sturgis motorcycle rally on this bike...it gets better out west with less congestion...not as many idiots trying to kill you.
good luck on your quest
Joe
URY914
Best of both worlds. OK maybe not the best...

HeloMech
Riding a bike is what you make it. I've been riding dirt and street since I was about 7 years old (almost 37 now). You're the one who has to control the throttle and attitude. I live here at the beach in SoCal and EVERY day I see guys on their bikes with tanktops, shorts and flipflops. Yesterday my GF saw a guy with no shoes on at all. That's just Darwin looking for a place to tickle his fancy. It's been hot as hell here this past few weeks. When you walk out the door and it's sticky humid and hot.. you're already sweating.. then you pull on your helmet, zip up that jacket, etc... it's not fun. If you make it out to the freeway and no traffic, it feels nice. If it's about 100 degrees? no help. Like riding with a hair dryer in your face.

People in cars will ALWAYS amaze you at just how oblivious they are to anything on the outside of their cars. Riding daily you will have someone pull out of a driveway into your lane, switch into your lane, left turns in front of you, people right next to you merge right where you already are... it's just plain crazy.

Now then... that said. I love my bike. I love riding it. I don't stunt it but I do tend to ride fast. I split lanes at lights to get out of the pack of idiots. I always have helmet and armored jacket, gloves and icon riding boots. Never in shorts. Typically I'm in jeans or bdu's. There are "armored" jeans with multi layers and kevlar in between them which are fairly cheap. Yeah.. it's hot... sweat washes off, road rash doesn't. Not to mention when that ER Dr. is scrubbing it out with a brush... smile.gif

My 2002 CBR954rr

GeorgeRud
If you live in an area with nice weather year round and only have a 4-10 minute commute, have you considered a mountain bicycle? The mileage is astronomical and the aerobic workout will make you a fitter person.

Too many of my friends are Emergency room Docs, they're not called Donor Bikes for nothing. Your body parts come in in perfect shape except you're dead.
Stick with the car or a bicycle, too many idiots on the road behind SUVs.
lapuwali
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jul 30 2006, 09:13 AM) *

If you live in an area with nice weather year round and only have a 4-10 minute commute, have you considered a mountain bicycle? The mileage is astronomical and the aerobic workout will make you a fitter person.

Too many of my friends are Emergency room Docs, they're not called Donor Bikes for nothing. Your body parts come in in perfect shape except you're dead.
Stick with the car or a bicycle, too many idiots on the road behind SUVs.

Many of whom don't see bicycles on the road any better than they do motorcycles...Not every place has a bike path, and bike lanes are pretty widely ignored by those same people who are a danger to the typical motorcyclist. At least with a motor underneath you, you have some chance of staying out of their way. I deliberately don't ride a bicycle on my morning commute because I was nearly killed twice in just two weeks trying to do just that.
914werke
What a bunch of pussys. av-943.gif
I agree with HeloMech.

I ride most days. Yes. "Cage" drives are moronic oblivious fools that
are more likley to run you over while talking on thier cell phones, eating, smoking,
reading, nose picking ect. than care.

I never understood the "I know I would kill myself " mentaility. wacko.gif
You saying simply you have no self control...? What a bunch of crap. How do you
control yourself in a teener? the reality is more likley you dont have the skill or your just down right scared of two wheels. bootyshake.gif

My solution to innatentive auto drivers is MANDATE a graduated licensing program that starts ALL drivers on two wheels BEFORE ever allowing them to get a licence to drive a car.

Once folks have had to dodge a car or two on a bike suddenly they have a new appreciation for those of us who still choose to ride.

Back to the topic. 75mph is danm hard to accomplish on any thing bigger than a moped (and is BS in the ebay add). Weight is the biggest factor. A dual purpose bike IS your best choice. Its light. Narrow. and economical.
Id go for one of the recent Motard bikes but you are gonna spend more than 1500 unless your really lucky.

Pussys.
HeloMech
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jul 30 2006, 10:18 AM) *

What a bunch of pussys. av-943.gif
I agree with HeloMech.

but how do you REALLY feel about it? piratenanner.gif
ws91420
I will give you three pieces of advice two from me and one given to me by my uncle when I was expressing the interest to ride.
MY advice take the MSF course before you buy anything and make sure you get something that has enough umpf that you dont feel like you are going to get run over for going too slow.

My uncles The moment that you feel too confident or cocky riding any type of bike is the moment that it will put you down.
Andyrew
Thank you all you nay sayers.. I have thought about this for a very long time thank you...

rich its "drive like everyone wants to kill you.."

I WILL get protective gear.

I WILL take the training course, As many times as it takes till I am comfortable.

I DO know the risks involved. So stop telling me.

I think James has a good comment fromt the other thread that I would like to insert here,
Y'know, sometimes I can't believe what a bunch of old ladies you guys are. First everyone rags on the 20 year old kid for wanting to move to LA to start his career with $9k in his pocket, now we're getting an earful of "murdercycles".

I'm beginning to think some of you old farts are thinking everyone was a dumb as you were at 20 years old.

I think Andyrew is showing a respectable amount of maturity for wanting a starter bike to start with, rather than 100hp 600. He's shown exceptional restraint with a 914-V8 I suspect a lot of 40 year olds would get themselves into serious trouble with. Cut him a little slack.

Sure, people die and are very seriously injured on bikes all the time. Lots of people also ride them for multiple decades with little to no serious injury. In my first year of riding, I crashed a LOT. After that first year, I went for more than a decade with no crashes at all, other than racetrack offs (which are a different thing entirely).

Take a safety course. Wear good gear. Use your head. Assume everyone else on the road is out to kill you. Bikes can be just fine.

NOW...

Can someone tell me all the bikes that have 250cc or less than 400cc? A 500cc bike is too fast for my intent.

Currently I want a Ninja 250R.

Does bright colors for a bike make a big difference as far as being seen? I think I want to paint the bike phoenix red. (after its got scratched and dinged a few times)
Dr. Roger
when i was 15 i got a honda 90 for purely in town commuting to school and work.

i think mine got about 90 to 100 mpg and i'd drive it everywhere.

back then the speed limit was 70 on the freeways so it never saw the freeway but back roads got me all over cali.... seriously.

too many stories to remember but all good fun.

driving a 914 takes concentration but a street bike takes absolute concentration just watching out for that moth** *ucking, cell phone using, driver who is about to try killing you "by mistake". seriously.

i go back and forth between street bikes and dirt. my last street bike phase lasted 2 years. in those 2 years i had 3 close calls and ALL were by distracted drivers. sold the street and went back to dirt. we'll see how long this lasts....

street bikes are a lot of fun. =-) even a 90cc!

everyone needs to draw a line for themselves. i don't sky dive.... bungee jumping however...

HeloMech
I've never met you, nor do I know how tall you are. The ninja 250 is a VERY small bike. The Ninja 500 is still small, just not AS small. The ninja 500 has a more relaxed seating position than the 250 does. My girlfriend had a 250 ninja (she's 4'11"). She moved up to the 500... she just sold that 500 for $3k because it was too tall, she wanted the 2006 250 again.

I know alot of people are doubting the 600+ size. However, if you can find a used SV650, that's a GREAT bike to learn on. Also, it's got ALOT of aftermarket add-ons that you can grow with if you chose. It doesn't come with alot of the full plastics that will break when you drop it... and you will drop it... in a parking lot, your garage, whatever. it's going over. lol. They make full fairing kits for it (or the SV650S) I think comes stock with plastics.

The 250 and 500.. I don't think either of them will physically do 130mph. On paper maybe.. not actual. The sv650 will do about that, maybe push 140 indicated. My bike is said to do 172mph... on paper. Do I go that fast? no.

The sv650 will have the low end to get you out of situations with bad cage drivers. You really should go to www.crashclub.net and ask around over there. I bet you will get about 80% suggesting the sv650 as a great bike to start on.

Your choice, your wrist (throttle). You can ride something like my 954rr... just because it WILL do 75mph in first gear.. doesn't mean you HAVE to! aktion035.gif
Brando
Look into a Buell! A friend of mine just got one. Appearantly most jap bikes are considered "sporty" and will cost alot more to insure. A Harley and Buell are considered touring/cruising and cost less to insure.
HeloMech
One more thing... the absolute MOST important thing I've seen here is that you wear the proper gear. MSF is great, will teach you alot of breaking and maneuvering, panic stops, etc. First and foremost.. I'd get GEAR in your brain. That certificate is great.. but if some cager takes you out while you're wearing shorts... you're not gonna have an ass to hold up the pants with the pocket to carry the wallet where you put the certificate and forgot everything they taught you the first time you pulled out onto the street. lol.

Also... if you didn't know this... when you take the MSF course, in CA, you're not required to do that silly-assed driving test in the parking lot at the DMV! Stupid circle, cones, feet up... blah. lol.

HeloMech
QUOTE(Brando @ Jul 30 2006, 11:55 AM) *

Look into a Buell! A friend of mine just got one. Appearantly most jap bikes are considered "sporty" and will cost alot more to insure. A Harley and Buell are considered touring/cruising and cost less to insure.

OMG!!! if you consider a BLahuell... do NOT go to crashclub! lol.

harleyuell... blah.. leaking rattly, underpowered blehc...

gimme some listerine.. gotta get that taste outta my mouth. piratenanner.gif
lapuwali
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 30 2006, 11:33 AM) *

Can someone tell me all the bikes that have 250cc or less than 400cc? A 500cc bike is too fast for my intent.

Currently I want a Ninja 250R.

Does bright colors for a bike make a big difference as far as being seen? I think I want to paint the bike phoenix red. (after its got scratched and dinged a few times)

No, not really. Just assume you're invisible and work with that.

I had a 250 Ninjette, and they're OK, but they aren't that great. Don't assume the difference between 250cc and 500cc means a 500 will have 2x the power. The GS500E I suggested earlier is SLOW. It's a old air-cooled two-valve design that maybe makes 40hp. The 250 Ninja is a water-cooled four-valver, and makes about 30hp bone stock, and can very easily be tuned to make 50hp. One big problem in NoCal with finding a 250 Ninja is the AFM (NoCal bike racing club) has a specific class for 250 Ninjas, so most of the used Ninjettes have been thrashed to death. My 250 Ninja was a fully sorted racing bike, and would absolutely smoke a GS500, and would seriously worry an EX500 rider.

Noboby serious races a GS500, they're meant to be starter bikes. No bodywork, cheap parts, cheap to buy used. Many of them you'll find have low miles, being sold by someone who decided riding bikes wasn't for them. A dual-purpose bike is also a good choice for a starter bike, in that they're designed to be crashed with little to no damage. They're light, and can flick around in traffic nicely. The only trouble is, they're pretty much all singles, which are great for giving you a vibro-massage at freeway speeds, and pretty much terrible for any kind of distance. I say this as the previous owner of several single-cylinder'd bikes, including a couple that were kick-to-go only (the true mark of the masochist).

I started on a Honda 200 Reflex, a 200cc single (kick only) that was styled like a dirt bike, but was really a street bike. It would just BARELY go 65mph if you lay flat on the tank and waited a good long while for it to accelerate to that speed. Oh, and drum brakes at both ends.

I've known people who started out on fearsome 1100cc monsters. It's all in the right wrist. You only go as fast as you want, just like your V8.

JPB
Vespa makes a good scouter but you need to wear body armour with the crazy drivers out there and it runs at 100mpg.

beer.gif If they make fun of you, ride wasted!
Andyrew
I am 6' tall. My boss is 6'3 and has a hyabusa, but he got a 250R for his wife, He has ridden it I believe without any trouble and recommended it for me...

My other problem with getting a bigger engine bike is cost.

I need to buy a mechanically perfect bike for 1500 or less

JPB
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 30 2006, 10:11 AM) *

Best of both worlds. OK maybe not the best...

Hey I know that design. Isen't that a crack rocket? Ya know, for crack heads. LOL

beer.gif Just kiding, but what disfunctional sacraligious schmit have you tramatized me with here! AAHHHHHhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
Andyrew
James, your putting out some very good info.. Thank you!

Ok, I understand that cc's dont neccisarily mean hp.. (think about the massive trans am engines they used in 75+... lol)

lets say I want under 45hp.. preferably under 40hp.. I can add hp later... or step up to a faster bike in a year if I desire so.

JPB
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 30 2006, 03:11 PM) *

I am 6' tall. My boss is 6'3 and has a hyabusa, but he got a 250R for his wife, He has ridden it I believe without any trouble and recommended it for me...

My other problem with getting a bigger engine bike is cost.

I need to buy a mechanically perfect bike for 1500 or less

Ya I understand. They usually have some good deals in the want adds and used bike traders also. You might talk your boss into upgrading and then this one can be yours.

beer.gif Bikers are always shopping for a bigger bike, believe me.
Andyrew
My boss has the fastest bike made... his WIFE has the 250r, it has 170miles on it... she doesnt ride it... I'd like to see him sell it to me... because I know what condition its in..

Andrew
1970 Neun vierzehn
This has served me well since '92........I'd like to think of it as the 914 of bikes, slower than most, but you become a better rider(or driver) compensating for its few shortcomings. The bike...........Suzuki GS500. For further info, check out GStwin.com.Click to view attachment
Heeltoe914
99 or 2000 Honda F4 or F4i great used bike. 600cc is way big enought. I have a 750 and a V-Twin. take the class MSF. and use your head. Most victims are in your age groupe.
I never ride in the right lane.
I slow or ride to the right in intersection.
Two fingers always on the brake.
Kevlar jeans and leather jacket. Buy the best helmet no Question on that.
Never cut turns tight, look into it before turning.
have a great ride.
Andyrew
Good tips. Keep them coming.
Dr. Roger
i never met a suzuki i didn't like. i rode 2. a GS550 and my old 2 stroke RS175Z.

Prices:Suzuki GS500

Model Year-Average mileage

Low Retail Value
Average Retail Value
High Retail Value
Kelly Blue Book Value

2001-7400 mi

3585 kbb

2000-10500 mi

3195 kbb

1999-13800 mi

2910 kbb

1998-17100 mi

2730 kbb

1997-19400 mi

2550 kbb

1996-22400 mi

2410 kbb

1995-28300 mi

22995 kbb

1994-29700 mi

2165 kbb

1993-30700 mi

1995 kbb

1992-32800 mi

1790 kbb

Low Retail Value low retail unit may have extensive wear and tear. Body parts may have dents and blemishes. The buyer can expect to invest in cosmetic and/or mechanical work. This vehicle should be in safe running order. Low retail vehicles usually are not found on dealer lots

Average Retail Value An average retail unit should be clean without obvious defects. All rubber and cables should be in good condition. The paint should match and have a good finish. All lights and switches should work properly. The mileage should be within or slightly higher than the average range. This unit should also pass any emission inspection.

High Retail Value A high retail unit should look like new. All equipment should function properly. The paint should match and have a high gloss. Tires should appear new and cables should be clean with minimal wear. Engine should start quickly and run smoothly. There should be no leaks and the mileage should be at or below an acceptable range for the model year. Units in excellent or prime condition may increase value 10%-15%.

Mueller
I'm a huge fan of the dual-purpose bikes, you normally sit up in a taller postion than "cruisers" and especially "sport" bikes, with the crappy roads we have I'd much rather hit a pothole with a dual-purpose bike than a heavier bike.

You can trick out the dual-purpose bikes and install "sticky" rubber which will make the bike more fun on the street....

Andyrew
dual purpose bikes look like crap...

I want the go fast look, without the go fast price, or go fastness...

Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 30 2006, 01:26 PM) *

dual purpose bikes look like crap...

poser =

1 : to assume a posture or attitude usually for artistic purposes biggrin.gif
2 : to affect an attitude or character usually to deceive or impress poke.gif

have you checked with your insurance company???

bikes with fairings or extra plastic junk bolted on will sometimes have a higher insurance rate (more stuff to break if you simply just drop it in your garage)
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 30 2006, 01:26 PM) *

Anybody motorcycle rider will be able to tell if you're on a fast bike or not, even if you think the bike looks fast. smile.gif Who are you trying to impress exactly?

Ninja 250's don't look fast to me, and at 6' you would likely feel cramped. You're also going to mentally out grow the 250 in a very short matter of time. I have three friends that have owned Ninja 250s as their first bike, and they all grew bored with the bike in a matter of months.

Buy something that you'll grow into. 70 HP shouldn't scare you. You want power and maneuvering ability. Those two things can get you into trouble, but they'll also save your life if you know how to use 'em.

I got into more trouble on my old Honda CM400E than I do with my current '04 Triumph 955i Daytona. Why? Because the Honda didn't want to turn or stop, I didn't know how to ride, and I was always riding the bike at its limits (which wasn't hard to do).

Someone else recommended the SV650, and I too would have to give it my thumbs-up for a great first bike. It looks fast, it's quick, stops and handles good, it's pretty light and you won't get bored in a matter of months. At 6' you'll fit nicely too.

That's probably out of your price range though. *sigh*

Make sure you buy a bike that's running good today, and not something that's running "pretty good, but just needs a tune up." You want to ride, and not spend your first months tweaking with junk carbs, etc.

I can't add much about the safety aspects of riding. I've always been a risk taker, and I think I get more out of life because of it. I love living, and have loved ones that would be devastated if anything were to happen to me. I still feel though that taking seemingly unnecessary risks is just part of living life to its fullest.

Come on, we're driving 914s. Compared to today's cars, we're driving death-traps. My death-trap always whispers in my ear, pushing me to drive a little faster than I know I should. I can't imagine what would happen if I were to fly off the road at normal highway speeds, or if I were to get t-boned by another car. If you want to stay safe, just sit in front of your computer all day.

To wrap up this rant, I think this has a lot to do about knowing yourself and your machine. I'm a pilot, motorcyclist and spirited driver, yet I could just as well die in my sleep tonight. I feel I have a pretty reasonable grasp on where my abilities stand, and I make it a point to move forward with my abilities in a slow, controlled pace.

Good luck and have fun! I love riding and you will too! smile.gif
anthony
Who are you trying to impress exactly?

The chicks at school that don't know bikes? biggrin.gif

I had a Honda 90 that I drove before I got a driver's license. I almost killed myself once but got lucky. Good luck Andrew.

Here's a radical idea. For such a short commute, how about an electric scooter? With that you can impress the green loving hippy chicks at school. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.