Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: I need a street bike, 50+mpg, Cheap...
Andyrew
post Jul 30 2006, 01:27 PM
Post #41

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

My boss has the fastest bike made... his WIFE has the 250r, it has 170miles on it... she doesnt ride it... I'd like to see him sell it to me... because I know what condition its in..

Andrew
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jul 30 2006, 01:28 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

This has served me well since '92........I'd like to think of it as the 914 of bikes, slower than most, but you become a better rider(or driver) compensating for its few shortcomings. The bike...........Suzuki GS500. For further info, check out GStwin.com.Attached Image
+Quote Post
Heeltoe914
post Jul 30 2006, 01:57 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 5,506

99 or 2000 Honda F4 or F4i great used bike. 600cc is way big enought. I have a 750 and a V-Twin. take the class MSF. and use your head. Most victims are in your age groupe.
I never ride in the right lane.
I slow or ride to the right in intersection.
Two fingers always on the brake.
Kevlar jeans and leather jacket. Buy the best helmet no Question on that.
Never cut turns tight, look into it before turning.
have a great ride.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 30 2006, 02:00 PM
Post #44

Spooling.... Please wait

Good tips. Keep them coming.
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Jul 30 2006, 02:05 PM
Post #45

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533

i never met a suzuki i didn't like. i rode 2. a GS550 and my old 2 stroke RS175Z.

Prices:Suzuki GS500

Model Year-Average mileage

Low Retail Value
Average Retail Value
High Retail Value
Kelly Blue Book Value

2001-7400 mi

3585 kbb

2000-10500 mi

3195 kbb

1999-13800 mi

2910 kbb

1998-17100 mi

2730 kbb

1997-19400 mi

2550 kbb

1996-22400 mi

2410 kbb

1995-28300 mi

22995 kbb

1994-29700 mi

2165 kbb

1993-30700 mi

1995 kbb

1992-32800 mi

1790 kbb

Low Retail Value low retail unit may have extensive wear and tear. Body parts may have dents and blemishes. The buyer can expect to invest in cosmetic and/or mechanical work. This vehicle should be in safe running order. Low retail vehicles usually are not found on dealer lots

Average Retail Value An average retail unit should be clean without obvious defects. All rubber and cables should be in good condition. The paint should match and have a good finish. All lights and switches should work properly. The mileage should be within or slightly higher than the average range. This unit should also pass any emission inspection.

High Retail Value A high retail unit should look like new. All equipment should function properly. The paint should match and have a high gloss. Tires should appear new and cables should be clean with minimal wear. Engine should start quickly and run smoothly. There should be no leaks and the mileage should be at or below an acceptable range for the model year. Units in excellent or prime condition may increase value 10%-15%.

+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 30 2006, 02:07 PM
Post #46

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

I'm a huge fan of the dual-purpose bikes, you normally sit up in a taller postion than "cruisers" and especially "sport" bikes, with the crappy roads we have I'd much rather hit a pothole with a dual-purpose bike than a heavier bike.

You can trick out the dual-purpose bikes and install "sticky" rubber which will make the bike more fun on the street....

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 30 2006, 02:26 PM
Post #47

Spooling.... Please wait

dual purpose bikes look like crap...

I want the go fast look, without the go fast price, or go fastness...

+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 30 2006, 02:35 PM
Post #48

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 30 2006, 01:26 PM) *

dual purpose bikes look like crap...

poser =

1 : to assume a posture or attitude usually for artistic purposes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
2 : to affect an attitude or character usually to deceive or impress (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

have you checked with your insurance company???

bikes with fairings or extra plastic junk bolted on will sometimes have a higher insurance rate (more stuff to break if you simply just drop it in your garage)
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Jul 30 2006, 02:56 PM
Post #49

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 30 2006, 01:26 PM) *

Anybody motorcycle rider will be able to tell if you're on a fast bike or not, even if you think the bike looks fast. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Who are you trying to impress exactly?

Ninja 250's don't look fast to me, and at 6' you would likely feel cramped. You're also going to mentally out grow the 250 in a very short matter of time. I have three friends that have owned Ninja 250s as their first bike, and they all grew bored with the bike in a matter of months.

Buy something that you'll grow into. 70 HP shouldn't scare you. You want power and maneuvering ability. Those two things can get you into trouble, but they'll also save your life if you know how to use 'em.

I got into more trouble on my old Honda CM400E than I do with my current '04 Triumph 955i Daytona. Why? Because the Honda didn't want to turn or stop, I didn't know how to ride, and I was always riding the bike at its limits (which wasn't hard to do).

Someone else recommended the SV650, and I too would have to give it my thumbs-up for a great first bike. It looks fast, it's quick, stops and handles good, it's pretty light and you won't get bored in a matter of months. At 6' you'll fit nicely too.

That's probably out of your price range though. *sigh*

Make sure you buy a bike that's running good today, and not something that's running "pretty good, but just needs a tune up." You want to ride, and not spend your first months tweaking with junk carbs, etc.

I can't add much about the safety aspects of riding. I've always been a risk taker, and I think I get more out of life because of it. I love living, and have loved ones that would be devastated if anything were to happen to me. I still feel though that taking seemingly unnecessary risks is just part of living life to its fullest.

Come on, we're driving 914s. Compared to today's cars, we're driving death-traps. My death-trap always whispers in my ear, pushing me to drive a little faster than I know I should. I can't imagine what would happen if I were to fly off the road at normal highway speeds, or if I were to get t-boned by another car. If you want to stay safe, just sit in front of your computer all day.

To wrap up this rant, I think this has a lot to do about knowing yourself and your machine. I'm a pilot, motorcyclist and spirited driver, yet I could just as well die in my sleep tonight. I feel I have a pretty reasonable grasp on where my abilities stand, and I make it a point to move forward with my abilities in a slow, controlled pace.

Good luck and have fun! I love riding and you will too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jul 30 2006, 05:15 PM
Post #50

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Who are you trying to impress exactly?

The chicks at school that don't know bikes? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I had a Honda 90 that I drove before I got a driver's license. I almost killed myself once but got lucky. Good luck Andrew.

Here's a radical idea. For such a short commute, how about an electric scooter? With that you can impress the green loving hippy chicks at school. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
eeyore
post Jul 30 2006, 05:40 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 1,533

Slightly different take...

'Know your enemy' has two parts:
1) Everybody is trying to kill you -- mindset
2) Learn traffic patterns -- tactics

Some days when I'm feeling vulnerable I think to myself "Maybe I'll just become a weekend joy rider." But the fact is, weekend joy rides may be more dangerous than daily commutes. A few years ago a distubing trend arose where the majority of accidents where an apparently 'safe' demographic of riders -- weekend re-entry riders -- empty nesters getting back into motorcycling. Increased fatailities were chalked up to a combination of unfamiliarity with territory (where are the poorly marked, off-camber, decreasing radius turns), lack of practice, and inattentiveness.

I'm a weekday rider. I drive the exact same 20 miles a day each way. This includes 3-5 miles of lanesplitting per day. I've learned the territory. I learned the traffic patterns. I feel disconnected from my motorcycle even after 3 days of non-riding.

I am afraid to put the bike riding on long-term hiatus because my skills will deteriorate, and that lack of practice would get me in trouble for next time out.
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Jul 30 2006, 05:41 PM
Post #52

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Dibs on the suzuki. I like the old-school look.

And I think less faschia looks way faster than some bulging fiberglass hulk.

Does anyone have one of those suzukis to sell? My Puegot wants company.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 30 2006, 06:34 PM
Post #53

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Andy,
I do not wish to "give advice" as I do my own thing and, as anyone would, I opperate within my own comfort zone.

1) I never recommend that anyone not feeling up to owning a bike, for what ever reason, get one. Calling someone a pussy and taunting them may only lead to their quicker demise and is juvenile IMHO.

2) Since you feel up to the task marinate with this: Since I have been riding (since I was 18 in '94) I have been hit 3 times, had the bike hit while parked 2 times, and layed a bike down 2 times. I do not drive out of my skill level anymore, but I did not take a safety class originally. My first day of owning a bike I hit the side of a Winnebago that decided to make a U-turn form the right lane infront of me (left lane). I woke up in the hospital. Many of my accidents happened in the first 6mo of ownership which is the statistically highest time for things to go wrong. I have more accidents than most folks, and not a single one (other than one of the laying it down on my own) was my fault. # of miles traveled = increase in probability of accidents. I have MANY miles on me as I commonly would travel 500mi one way on a weekend and lived 50mi from work for a while.

3) Some types to consider, I think that the advice here that has been repeated over and over regarding certain models is fair. You will get board of a 250 quick, but it still may be a better fit for now. It is not like you are gonna have to divorce your bike when you get tired of it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I disagree with the Buell recommendation and the concept that the insurance will be less. Harlys have some of the highest insureance due to the ease of steeling and selling parts. Buell ads a sport bike aspect to this. No financially good. my first bike was an 82 Honda Magna and it was perfect. It did have 750cc, but it was not a race bike at all. Very dependable and tough. Of course I LOVE BMWs! Very good bikes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
When you take the MSF course they will supply you with a rebel or a ninja or some other 250 that you can thrash. Do this first and gather some more data for you to make your decision.

Be safe, let no one taunt you as responding to taunts leads to the dark side and potentially an early death. You seem to have the right mentality to learn the skills you will require.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 30 2006, 07:18 PM
Post #54

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

On the other side of things....

Honda Rukus. ~100mpg. Top spped ~35. If you only have a few miles between work, school and home, it might be perfect.

I thought about getting one when I lived in Baltimore. But I figured it would just get stolen. Rode my mtn. bike instead.

Zach
+Quote Post
Scott Carlberg
post Jul 31 2006, 12:13 AM
Post #55

Porsche MOTORSPORTS

Member No.: 580

QUOTE(Nick Pawloski @ Jul 29 2006, 06:26 PM) *

The Kawasaki EX500 is a good choice for a beginner. I believe its a parallel twin, has decent power to get you where you need to go, not too flashy. The Ninja 500 is pretty much the same bike with fairings. Both have been made for a long time, pretty bulletproof bikes, plenty of parts available.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Andrew,
of the 8 guys I used to ride with, I *think* 5 of us started out with EX 500's.
Nice little start-up bikes.

B:
sorry about your friends. IT can happen at ANYtime, ANYplace.
+Quote Post
Dougs914
post Jul 31 2006, 02:48 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 2,631

Hi if i was you i go for the the Honda cb400s
hondamatic they are very good stater bikes
being a automatic 2 speed 1 high 1 low
they were made in the 70 and 80 look one
up on ebay.
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jul 31 2006, 02:57 PM
Post #57

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166

I put this in the thread in the sandbox section...

Aprilia SR50. Its a scooter, gets 120 miles per gallon due to its direct injection engine.

Looks cool too. Cost about $3000. There are many other scooters that are cheaper.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
WRX914
post Jul 31 2006, 03:55 PM
Post #58

2.5 WRX STI hybrid powered beast

Member No.: 2,771
Region Association: Southwest Region

Best advise I can give a novice streetbiker is...

Get a dirtbike first, get used to the bike sliding and reacting to unforseen obstacles. Once you feel comfortable in the dirt then think about buying a streetbike. I have owned bikes for 25 years, the first three streetbikes said hello to the pavement. Then I began to race dirtbikes nationally, since then I bought a 1200cc Buell and a 1450cc Harley both of my new bikes have kept the shiney side up. Dirtbikes are the key to riding your bike (for me atleast) . IF you ever get in a hairy situation, you will be familiar with sliding and this will increase your chances of getting by. BTW when I ride with Harley guys, they can not believe the stuff I pull off with my Harley. When we get to our destination they are telling me they almost shit thier pants at any given intersection where some car jetted out in front of me or something... Half of the time I don't even know what they are talking about. Luckily overcoming unforseen obstacles has become second nature on a bike for me. But I am not untouchable. Look as far down the road as you can.

Good Luck

Keith
+Quote Post
Coy
post Jul 31 2006, 05:04 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 5,537

My first bike was a Suzuki 370 enduro and I gotta say that was the most fun I ever had on two wheels. That was 25 years and 7 streetbikes ago. I would strongly suggest enduro for a beginner, but it sounds like you really want a street bike. Old BMW boxer twins are cool like 914s are cool. They aren't super fast, but they'll keep up with traffic, and they look pretty good going slow. You might pick one up for your price range, and it'll be dependable, but it'll look rough. That's when half the fun starts really; making it your own bike. K bikes are better, but they aren't typically $1500. Any 80s-90s Jap bike can be a dependable machine, and you can kill yourself on a moped, so I wouldn't go too small as much as I wouldn't go to big.

Watch for old people and cell phones!

Good luck to you, whatever you decide!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Allan
post Jul 31 2006, 05:19 PM
Post #60

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

I know you've heard all of the safety comments and I totally agree with all of them. I got my first bike in 1968 and have had one continuously until 1996 when I sold my last one.

The only advice I can give is (and I know you don't like the idea) start with an enduro. They are light and nimble, handle pretty well and because of the lighter weight, you can stay under 400cc's and have plenty of power to get out of trouble.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 03:52 PM