Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Seat options, I'm a big tall guy!
Sparky
post Oct 17 2003, 02:51 PM
Post #1

Mahna Mahna!

Group: Members
Member No.: 847

I'm building a weekend driver/track car. I want something a little more comfortable then the stock seats has anyone tried anything else? Whats "big guy" friendly? I have a friend who has Recaros in his teener, the steering wheel and shifter trap my right knee... So Recaros are out. Any other thoughts? How about those Corbeau Sport classics?

Thanks!
Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Oct 17 2003, 03:20 PM
Post #2

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

we need numbers...how tall, how big...makes a difference. Im 6'1-ish and my knees hit my wheel, which is a Momo Monte Carlo. Thats on stock seats. Corbeau web site has measurements. Some seats have a max of 36" waist, others are for 35" and up etc...
+Quote Post
Sparky
post Oct 17 2003, 03:31 PM
Post #3

Mahna Mahna!

Member No.: 847

6', 240ish, with a MoMo Benneton wheel.

Thanks!
Mike
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Oct 17 2003, 06:26 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Get a steering wheel spacer... this will put the steeringwheel closer to your chest (better control) and will improve legroom

Which Recaro's did your friend have?
If you don't fit in them Pole Positions, your ass is too big (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

But seriously, all the big names in seats have "big guy" sizes (Sparco, Momo, OMP, Cobra, Corbeau)
Spend some dough on a decent seat (FIA approved) and stay away from those t-framed seats

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Oct 17 2003, 06:38 PM
Post #5

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I met a trio of teener owners from the Bay area at the Ventura German Autofest. One of the cars they were driving had 1974 and newer 911 seats in it. He removed the bacckpad and installed some thin nice looking black carpet. I tried them out, work great and they fit without having to remove the side to side brace, that the stock 914 seat rail sits on.
CCLINVENTURAVILLE
+Quote Post
Randal
post Oct 17 2003, 07:05 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

Tony (TC Design) just put a Kirkey (Intermediate Road Racing) seat in my 914. It is 16” wide and is raked back something like 15%. He didn't have to cut anything, including my cage.

The seat fits perfectly, looks great and more importantly works.

I tried it at an LPR autox on Sunday and it felt like everything was in slow motion. Must have been the first time I was actually planted in the car.

BTW I tried to put in a Corbeau, using their hardware, and the seat, while nice, was just way high. My head hit the roof and I'm only 6-1.

Kirkey has all kinds of seats. I was tempted to use the drag racing seat as about the only difference is the wings at the shoulder and it is way cheaper.
+Quote Post
d914
post Oct 17 2003, 09:16 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904
Region Association: South East States

kirkley I think now has a cheaper version of the road seat, about 250+, down from over $600. Plus on the kirkely you can trim the foam undeneath to get lower still.

I run the indermedate, cut one of the rib protectors alittle, right elbow kept hitting it, other wie fine.

Also ultra-sheild has rally and road seats in ALuminum also, good prices, $250 range again.
+Quote Post
d914
post Oct 17 2003, 09:25 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904
Region Association: South East States

plus for some of us the seats come in 18in , still working on lightening up the driver.
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Oct 17 2003, 11:39 PM
Post #9

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

Now that you mention it, a guy I AX with has a Kirkey seat, and he is like 6'3". I think he mounted it to the floor. Nice seat.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Oct 18 2003, 01:58 AM
Post #10

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

I'm 6'-3" and 230 lbs. I use a JAZ aluminum drag seat bolted to the floor with a 3/4" spacer. I don't recommend it in anything buy a pure autox car. It is not designed for a track. It's light and small but your ass and back will kill you.

Paul
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:45 PM