Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: feel that quake?
mightyohm
post Aug 3 2006, 12:06 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Kylie and I were eating dinnner at Red Lobster *IN* Rohnert Park. Freaky for about 5 seconds... I moved up just in time!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Aug 3 2006, 12:11 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 178

What did you expect, we've had earthquake weather for three weeks now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

The pacific plate west of the san andreas fault is trying to go north.
The continental plate is trying to stay still. The pacific plate pushes up against the continental plate but because the fault is angled it results in a compression/slide slip fault.
It hangs up for a long time and then goes bang.
Eventually in 100 million years or so (guess) the land west of the san andreas will be up around alaska.
It won't fall off into the ocean, it will just keep moving north. If san Francisco times it right they will beat the global warming thing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
sjhowitson
post Aug 3 2006, 12:13 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 2,449

We were watching Survivor rerun at the time. They had a quake on the TV and then we had one. very strange.

Cheers
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Aug 3 2006, 12:28 PM
Post #24

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Sammy @ Aug 3 2006, 11:11 AM) *

What did you expect, we've had earthquake weather for three weeks now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

The pacific plate west of the san andreas fault is trying to go north.
The continental plate is trying to stay still. The pacific plate pushes up against the continental plate but because the fault is angled it results in a compression/slide slip fault.
It hangs up for a long time and then goes bang.
Eventually in 100 million years or so (guess) the land west of the san andreas will be up around alaska.
It won't fall off into the ocean, it will just keep moving north. If san Francisco times it right they will beat the global warming thing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

One can see examples of this plate movement in places like Point Lobos near Carmel. Granite deposits from southern part of the Sierra mountains can be found the west side of the San Andreas fault. In a couple billion years part of California might become an island. That is if there is anything left of earth at that time.
+Quote Post
double-a
post Aug 3 2006, 12:59 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

the 1:30am quake up in our area was centered around the battle ground, washington area, just outside vancouver. it was a good little jostle, woke us up too!

~a
+Quote Post
p914
post Aug 3 2006, 04:49 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 1,117

Yeah we felt that 3.8-4.0 at 1:30 this morning and also an aftershock at 3:20am

We are in La Center
+Quote Post
Flat VW
post Aug 3 2006, 05:31 PM
Post #27

Illegal Soapbox Derby Racecar

Member No.: 3,105

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) nothing here, THIS time......

I felt the last 'big one' here in Phoenix though, the one that dropped some of the freeway sections in San Francisco, IIRC.

It was early in the morning, it felt like someone had dropped a safe or something right outside our house. I flipped on the television, it took the 'news' about twenty minutes to catch up. A pal of mine who lives nearby here reported the water sloshing out of his 'built-in' pool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

John

P.S. Hard to believe but true. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 3 2006, 05:39 PM
Post #28

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Flat VW @ Aug 3 2006, 04:31 PM) *

I felt the last 'big one' here in Phoenix though, the one that dropped some of the freeway sections in San Francisco, IIRC.

It was early in the morning...

Then it wasn't the one that dumped the SF freeways. That was the famous 89 quake, which happened just after 5 PM. Right at the start of one of the Giants/A's world series game, remember?

--DD
+Quote Post
Flat VW
post Aug 3 2006, 05:43 PM
Post #29

Oh, of course, you are right, Dave.

This quake was at about 5 a.m. here and the sun was up already, so it had to be summertime here.

John

P.S. I guess I did not recall that one correctly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Aug 3 2006, 05:52 PM
Post #30

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 3 2006, 04:39 PM) *

Then it wasn't the one that dumped the SF freeways. That was the famous 89 quake, which happened just after 5 PM. Right at the start of one of the Giants/A's world series game, remember?

--DD

Yep 5 PM I have never run two flights of stairs faster in my life. I was in the top story of a concrete tilt up building in San Jose. Ground was still shaking so hard by time I got to the pavement outside I had to hold on to a chain link fence to stay on my feet. I was in a big open parking lot and ground looked like waves of water about 3 feet high
+Quote Post
Flat VW
post Aug 3 2006, 05:55 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 3 2006, 04:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 3 2006, 04:39 PM) *

--DD

Yep 5 PM I have never run two flights of stairs faster in my life. I was in the top story of a concrete tilt up building in San Jose. Ground was still shaking so hard by time I got to the pavement outside I had to hold on to a chain link fence to stay on my feet. I was in a big open parking lot and ground looked like waves of water about 3 feet high

WOW! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
JPB
post Aug 3 2006, 08:13 PM
Post #32

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

[/quote]

Good one! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
JPB
post Aug 3 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #33

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

When she's around, the earth always moves. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) One inch forward, one inch back..................
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 10:06 AM