Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> engines, what and where?
41ghost
post Aug 4 2006, 03:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,345

looking to build a screemer this winter. wondering whats the best you can do for a 2.0 , whithout spending enough to acually buy another car. right know the set up i have know is fast , faster than a well running fuel stock injected 2.0. and it has 94's , i'm told not to go bigger than 96's, because of heat, and port and pollishing can make a big increase. well anyway what are some things i can do and where do i get the upgrades.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
G e o r g e
post Aug 4 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #2

Dr

Member No.: 4,832
Region Association: None

shop here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

seriously, what constitutes a screamer to you 125 hp 150 180 200+

start here Jake's type IV store
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Aug 4 2006, 04:40 PM
Post #3

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166

whithout spending enough to acually buy another car.

Well, considering that I bought my current 914 for $1000, and a basic rebuild of a type IV costs significantly more than that, not a whole lot.

For $5000 you can get a 2056 engine which as far as i know is good for somewhere around 120-130 HP. You can get kits but again these things all seem to be in the $2000 and up category. Like many others have said in the past, there are not a lot of bolt-on power mods for type IV engines.

On the other hand you can buy a Subaru 2.5L non-turbo engine for under $1000 like I did and get 165 HP stock. Its an involved project, but for about $2000-$3000 you can get 165+ HP with lots of room for expansion in the future (WRX motors, etc.)

-Tony
+Quote Post
41ghost
post Aug 4 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(George H. @ Aug 4 2006, 02:32 PM) *

shop here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

thats all my sons and nefues, i list ti for them. but thats all stock stuff. i would bo looking for atleast 150 to 200 and would like to do all the work myself.

+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Aug 4 2006, 05:31 PM
Post #5

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

You're looking at either spending enough to buy more than one nice 914, or a different engine. A 150-200hp Type IV is going to be over $10K (probably WAY over for 200hp). A turbo Subaru can get you 250hp for under $10K, and probably under $5K if you're lucky. A V8 swap will do even better.
+Quote Post
41ghost
post Aug 4 2006, 05:37 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Aug 4 2006, 03:31 PM) *

You're looking at either spending enough to buy more than one nice 914, or a different engine. A 150-200hp Type IV is going to be over $10K (probably WAY over for 200hp). A turbo Subaru can get you 250hp for under $10K, and probably under $5K if you're lucky. A V8 swap will do even better.

whats the work that has to be done for the conversion? but would really like to stick with a 914 2.0 base.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Aug 4 2006, 05:49 PM
Post #7

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE(41ghost @ Aug 4 2006, 04:37 PM) *

whats the work that has to be done for the conversion? but would really like to stick with a 914 2.0 base.

Conversions are outlined in the Classics Forum, the Conversions FAQ.

To stick with the 914 engine, call Jake Raby, as suggested above. He's your man for any high-power Type IV. He will sell an engine kit for a 2270cc engine, but you're only going to just touch 140-150hp with that, and it won't be cheap.
+Quote Post
41ghost
post Aug 4 2006, 05:58 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Aug 4 2006, 03:49 PM) *

QUOTE(41ghost @ Aug 4 2006, 04:37 PM) *

Conversions are outlined in the Classics Forum, the Conversions FAQ.

To stick with the 914 engine, call Jake Raby, as suggested above. He's your man for any high-power Type IV. He will sell an engine kit for a 2270cc engine, but you're only going to just touch 140-150hp with that, and it won't be cheap.

i know but last year i tryed to comunicate with them and got know reply, wanted to get it done so i got a rebuilt engine form cali. its better than what i had but not the hp's i was looking for. 140 to 150 would probably do with the aftermarket injection system i have it would maybe end up at 165 to 170. that would be nice. maybe i should get this thing dyno'd and see what it can really do.
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Aug 4 2006, 06:18 PM
Post #9

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

Send your crank out to be counterbalanced, Rods done and balanced and rering

your Pistons and hone cylinders. Get a cam, followers and a set of heads from

Jake and it will save you money and be a runner.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Aug 4 2006, 06:26 PM
Post #10

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

but you're only going to just touch 140-150hp with that, and it won't be cheap.

I now have a 180HP 2270 kit thats as easy to assemble as the 150HP version... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
41ghost
post Aug 4 2006, 07:07 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 4 2006, 04:26 PM) *

I now have a 180HP 2270 kit thats as easy to assemble as the 150HP version... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

sounds cool. is that the $4800 kit you list? how long is the wait after ordering? will that work with my injection system or will i have to go back to carbs?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Aug 5 2006, 07:26 AM
Post #12

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Its the "Type 4 Torquer" kit.. Its a mirror image of the engine I built for the Hot VWs article bearing the same name that has been in the current and past three issues of the magazine.

I'm only offering this kit while the article is current, so September is the last month for it before I pull it back into the engine shop for full buids only..

We turn kits around in 6-10 weeks these days with the HUGE volume that the article has stirred up... Some of them we have turned around in 4 weeks..

Going with these kits ensures ease of assembly and proper engine design/function right from the start- BUT it allows you the benefits of assembling yourself. I offer full support during assembly and thats priceless.
+Quote Post
JPB
post Aug 5 2006, 07:46 AM
Post #13

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

If ya wanna spend the bucks go original. If ya wanna go for power for less go the conversion route. If ya wanna go dirt cheap and have more power than your trany can handel, go Subaru. Start small like 160 HP's and make your way up as you can afford it. Look into Subaru engines from 2000 up and you won't be dissapointed with the Hp's you will get for oround 1K! Renegad Hybrids has a good info page on the years/HP ratings. I also want you to look at the mileage on these engines; they should be around 30K for that kind of daneros. These engines run a good 200K and won't let you down! This way, you can always pollish your T4 and put it on a stand in your shop for OOOOHS and AAAAhs but hey, thats just an expensive WV engine!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Only Jake can make T4 dreams come true.
+Quote Post
Dominic
post Aug 5 2006, 08:49 AM
Post #14

Dominic

Member No.: 149
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(41ghost @ Aug 4 2006, 06:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 4 2006, 04:26 PM) *

sounds cool. is that the $4800 kit you list? how long is the wait after ordering? will that work with my injection system or will i have to go back to carbs?

You won't be able to use your stock D-Jet F.I. system on anything larger than a 2056cc engine (stock crank with 96mm P/C). You would have to go with dual carbs or aftermarket EFI on a 2270cc engine (78mm crank with 96mm P/C).

I can attest to the top notch quality of the parts and service you will get from Jake (Type 4 store). You will not be dissappointed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Build it right the first time !
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
41ghost
post Aug 5 2006, 09:13 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 5 2006, 05:26 AM) *

Its the "Type 4 Torquer" kit.. Its a mirror image of the engine I built for the Hot VWs article bearing the same name that has been in the current and past three issues of the magazine.

I'm only offering this kit while the article is current, so September is the last month for it before I pull it back into the engine shop for full buids only..

We turn kits around in 6-10 weeks these days with the HUGE volume that the article has stirred up... Some of them we have turned around in 4 weeks..

Going with these kits ensures ease of assembly and proper engine design/function right from the start- BUT it allows you the benefits of assembling yourself. I offer full support during assembly and thats priceless.

why would you have to pull the kit after a certain amount of time. at this time i am looking for down the road options, that i want to do, as i said i got a repuilt engine last winter, not sure how long it will last though, i kind of drive it hard. but it was half of one of your kits. but i'm sure your kit is what i really wanted , much more hp's and with my sds system it may be as bad as i'm looking for. this winter i plan on redoing my entire suspention system , i have a 5 lug but its with spacers and i also have a original 914-6 set up i'm going to redo and put on, big breaks and all. so it looks like not this winter but next winter i will want to redo this engine. maybe we can set up a payment plan and i'll have it payed by next fall just before winter, that would keep the wife off me. or save it in a seperate acc. and pay in the sumer so its ready for delivery by next fall, or something.
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Aug 5 2006, 11:04 AM
Post #16

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

This just an assumption on my part but Jake is tired of tire kickers. One way to separate buyers from lookers is to limit availability either by limiting the time something is offered or number of units. It's probably not greatest thing for you but, it is good marketing especially for someone who is positioned at the top of market.

If the offering is really successful and this appears to be, good marketing would suggest it might reappear in the future possibly with a few tweaks so it can be the "new and improved". If you want to wait you can hope he reintroduces it but, be prepared cause it will cost you more. That's the way I would market it at least.

Either buy it now or hope it returns. I have an engine that is similar and I had a fun little run with an E 55 AMG yesterday. When we came to stoplight I got a nice smile and a thumbs up. Priceless.

Dave
+Quote Post
41ghost
post Aug 5 2006, 12:23 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(DNHunt @ Aug 5 2006, 09:04 AM) *

This just an assumption on my part but Jake is tired of tire kickers. One way to separate buyers from lookers is to limit availability either by limiting the time something is offered or number of units. It's probably not greatest thing for you but, it is good marketing especially for someone who is positioned at the top of market.

If the offering is really successful and this appears to be, good marketing would suggest it might reappear in the future possibly with a few tweaks so it can be the "new and improved". If you want to wait you can hope he reintroduces it but, be prepared cause it will cost you more. That's the way I would market it at least.

Either buy it now or hope it returns. I have an engine that is similar and I had a fun little run with an E 55 AMG yesterday. When we came to stoplight I got a nice smile and a thumbs up. Priceless.

Dave

money is not the problem, its timing look up, the motor i have now has 300 or so miles on it. what i'm looking for i quess is what is the next step to improve this engine, heads porting ect. already have a cam in.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 5 2006, 12:47 PM
Post #18

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(41ghost @ Aug 5 2006, 11:23 AM) *
what i'm looking for i quess is what is the next step to improve this engine, heads porting ect. already have a cam in.

basicly you are screwed....the cam is the weaklink in the stock Type IV motor..I know Jake just posted on another site that he got a 20hp increase with a switch to new heads, but the motor was not stock nor was the cam.

headers would give you a few more ponies..the Tangerine units are the best, followed by the European racing headers...

about the only other thing to do to get HP in the "oh boy this is fun" range without tearing apart the motor would to add a turbo....not easy or cheap and trying to use the stock FI is silly (can and has been done)
+Quote Post
BKLA
post Aug 5 2006, 01:33 PM
Post #19

Really old member

Member No.: 4,590
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(41ghost @ Aug 4 2006, 03:56 PM) *

thats all my sons and nefues, i list ti for them. but thats all stock stuff. i would bo looking for atleast 150 to 200 and would like to do all the work myself.

check your spelling on ebay..... break or brake???? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
41ghost
post Aug 5 2006, 03:18 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(BKLA @ Aug 5 2006, 11:33 AM) *

QUOTE(41ghost @ Aug 4 2006, 03:56 PM) *

check your spelling on ebay..... break or brake???? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

ya, i do that all the time sometimes i catch it and sometimes not.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 01:12 PM