Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dilemma, Should the 914 go?
poohsan
post Aug 6 2006, 09:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,409

Here's the dilemma.

I can’t have 4 cars around the house. Should the 914 go? It will be replaced by a 1981 911 Targa.

Back story:
I wanted a Porsche. I considered what I wanted in a fun to drive car; cost to purchase, ease to work on, room it would take up around the house, and lastly if the wife would like it and let me keep it. So I decided on a 914. Found one took it home and have been driving it and loving it everyday. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

How the dilemma started:
1. After I picked up the 914, I started looking for a 911 parts car for the engine, and suspension, all to go into the 914.

2. Wife was not so hot on the 914 for the following reasons:
a. Does not have big round eyes (headlights).
b. Too small.
c. Too noisy.
d. Too messy
e. Thinks the 911 is more cute because it has big eyes like Herbie the love bug.

3. I found a really good 911 Targa that is a keeper / daily driver for the price of a parts car. The deal is too good to pass up.

What is everyone’s take on this?

IMO I think the 914 is better looking than the 911. But the 911 does not need any work as it sits and the 914… well it’s a drivable work in progress.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post Aug 6 2006, 09:26 PM
Post #2

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

Member No.: 898
Region Association: South East States

Buy It. It's a perfect parts car for your 914.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
Post #3

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Sell the wife.....get rid of one of the "other" cars.......rent a storage unit or send it out to get it running.....

I like SCs....not too fond of targas though.....but they can be very easily converted to a cabriolet. Or parted out and used as a donor for your 914/6 conversion.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
grasshopper
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,258
Region Association: None

I dont really want to put the 914 down, because I live and breath 914's..but use this question as a base. "Do I want to work on sports cars, or drive them??"
+Quote Post
Brando
post Aug 6 2006, 09:28 PM
Post #5

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

Use the targa as a parts car and throw the rest of your time/money into making the 914 a better driver. You can never be dissappointed by a 914-6. That targa however... Sure 911s are cute, and ... cute, but do you want a car that you drive because it's "cute" or a 914 because it handles better, has a better power:weight ratio and will keep you smiling for many miles to come?

Especially if the 914 is in better physical condition. If you are having restoration work done on a rotting 911 chassis, might as well hand your bank account over to the body shop.
+Quote Post
poohsan
post Aug 6 2006, 09:33 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,409

QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 6 2006, 08:26 PM) *

I dont really want to put the 914 down, because I live and breath 914's..but use this question as a base. "Do I want to work on sports cars, or drive them??"

Very good point.

My first desire is to drive a sports car.
My second is to work on a sports car.
But my life is already filled with projects, so the car will always take a back seat.
So a drivable sports car which is ready to go is preferable.

+Quote Post
markb
post Aug 7 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #7

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

Buy the 911. Have a *real* hard time selling the 914. After a while, after the wife starts driving the 911 around, you have an excuse to have both. One for her, one for you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Michael N
post Aug 7 2006, 01:05 AM
Post #8

Certifiable

Member No.: 2,164
Region Association: Northern California

Too much body flex in a 911 Targa. I would only buy if you are planning a conversion for the 914 and needed the engine. I had a '82 SC Targa and sold it for a /6 and could not be happier. The 911 SC is a great car but I'd never buy a 911 Targa again. If you must buy a 911 skip the targa.

+Quote Post
swl
post Aug 7 2006, 06:48 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(markb @ Aug 6 2006, 10:09 PM) *

Buy the 911. Have a *real* hard time selling the 914. After a while, after the wife starts driving the 911 around, you have an excuse to have both. One for her, one for you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Beauty!

Happy wife + a project car.

Any wife who is pressuring you to buy a Porsche is definitely worth keeping happy. Besides - the Targa has more possibilities when watching the submarine races!
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post Aug 7 2006, 07:34 AM
Post #10

|||

Member No.: 2,128
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

If you are making your automotive-buying decisions based upon which car your wife thinks is "cuter" - something is wrong.

Let her do what she does and you make the decision, based on *relevant* factors...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 03:22 AM