Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dilemma
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poohsan
Here's the dilemma.

I can’t have 4 cars around the house. Should the 914 go? It will be replaced by a 1981 911 Targa.

Back story:
I wanted a Porsche. I considered what I wanted in a fun to drive car; cost to purchase, ease to work on, room it would take up around the house, and lastly if the wife would like it and let me keep it. So I decided on a 914. Found one took it home and have been driving it and loving it everyday. biggrin.gif

How the dilemma started:
1. After I picked up the 914, I started looking for a 911 parts car for the engine, and suspension, all to go into the 914.

2. Wife was not so hot on the 914 for the following reasons:
a. Does not have big round eyes (headlights).
b. Too small.
c. Too noisy.
d. Too messy
e. Thinks the 911 is more cute because it has big eyes like Herbie the love bug.

3. I found a really good 911 Targa that is a keeper / daily driver for the price of a parts car. The deal is too good to pass up.

What is everyone’s take on this?

IMO I think the 914 is better looking than the 911. But the 911 does not need any work as it sits and the 914… well it’s a drivable work in progress.
JoeSharp
Buy It. It's a perfect parts car for your 914.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Joe Bob
Sell the wife.....get rid of one of the "other" cars.......rent a storage unit or send it out to get it running.....

I like SCs....not too fond of targas though.....but they can be very easily converted to a cabriolet. Or parted out and used as a donor for your 914/6 conversion.
grasshopper
I dont really want to put the 914 down, because I live and breath 914's..but use this question as a base. "Do I want to work on sports cars, or drive them??"
Brando
Use the targa as a parts car and throw the rest of your time/money into making the 914 a better driver. You can never be dissappointed by a 914-6. That targa however... Sure 911s are cute, and ... cute, but do you want a car that you drive because it's "cute" or a 914 because it handles better, has a better power:weight ratio and will keep you smiling for many miles to come?

Especially if the 914 is in better physical condition. If you are having restoration work done on a rotting 911 chassis, might as well hand your bank account over to the body shop.
poohsan
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 6 2006, 08:26 PM) *

I dont really want to put the 914 down, because I live and breath 914's..but use this question as a base. "Do I want to work on sports cars, or drive them??"

Very good point.

My first desire is to drive a sports car.
My second is to work on a sports car.
But my life is already filled with projects, so the car will always take a back seat.
So a drivable sports car which is ready to go is preferable.

markb
Buy the 911. Have a *real* hard time selling the 914. After a while, after the wife starts driving the 911 around, you have an excuse to have both. One for her, one for you. biggrin.gif
Michael N
Too much body flex in a 911 Targa. I would only buy if you are planning a conversion for the 914 and needed the engine. I had a '82 SC Targa and sold it for a /6 and could not be happier. The 911 SC is a great car but I'd never buy a 911 Targa again. If you must buy a 911 skip the targa.

swl
QUOTE(markb @ Aug 6 2006, 10:09 PM) *

Buy the 911. Have a *real* hard time selling the 914. After a while, after the wife starts driving the 911 around, you have an excuse to have both. One for her, one for you. biggrin.gif

Beauty!

Happy wife + a project car.

Any wife who is pressuring you to buy a Porsche is definitely worth keeping happy. Besides - the Targa has more possibilities when watching the submarine races!
BMartin914
If you are making your automotive-buying decisions based upon which car your wife thinks is "cuter" - something is wrong.

Let her do what she does and you make the decision, based on *relevant* factors...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.