Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Raised Letter Rocker Panels
T/R racer
post Aug 8 2006, 04:23 AM
Post #1

look'g for luv (of a 914)

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,447

New to 914 world. Looking for my first one. There is a red one on ebay with raised porsche lettering on the rocker panels. What is the story on the rocker panels. Is that a Porsche stock item or aftermarket? Can that be replaced with plain rocker panels? Is it much of a job? Anybody know anything about the car or cautions I should have with it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Beautiful-R...1QQcmdZViewItem

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
STL914
post Aug 8 2006, 05:34 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,271
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

If you're serious about this car, I would suggest that you request one of the club members living in MN to do a Pre-Purchase Inspection before you lay down any money. Rust in several places is always a concern and should be checked before any purchase.

The raised letter panels are an aftermarket item and can easily be replaced with either factort steel panels or similar FiberGlass or ABS plastec panels. You just need to drill out about 7 rivets on the door sills or remove an equal number of screws, depending on how the panels were secured. There are also severalscrews beneathh the rocker panels and one in each wheel well.

What are you looking for to replace the panels with? I have a set of gloss black ABS rocker panels that I no longer need since I'm having flares added to my 72. Could do an out right trade if you're interested, if you decide tobuy the car.
+Quote Post
drewvw
post Aug 8 2006, 07:28 AM
Post #3

new england car guy

Member No.: 5,630
Region Association: North East States

I have these on my car. I took a small paint brush and painted the letters white it looks pretty good.

I also (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with what was said above, get somebody to look at the car....
+Quote Post
brant
post Aug 8 2006, 08:45 AM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Often the raised rockers were purchased by an owner to replace rusted out stock metal panels.

usually the panel rusts just before the longitudinal.

If I'm looking to buy a car, its a sure sign to me that I want to pull those off and inspect the longitudinals for rust prior to purchase.

+Quote Post
T/R racer
post Aug 8 2006, 06:43 PM
Post #5

look'g for luv (of a 914)

Member No.: 6,447

Thank you for the information. I going another direction on the car.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 10:56 PM