Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Raised Letter Rocker Panels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
T/R racer
New to 914 world. Looking for my first one. There is a red one on ebay with raised porsche lettering on the rocker panels. What is the story on the rocker panels. Is that a Porsche stock item or aftermarket? Can that be replaced with plain rocker panels? Is it much of a job? Anybody know anything about the car or cautions I should have with it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Beautiful-R...1QQcmdZViewItem
STL914
welcome.png

If you're serious about this car, I would suggest that you request one of the club members living in MN to do a Pre-Purchase Inspection before you lay down any money. Rust in several places is always a concern and should be checked before any purchase.

The raised letter panels are an aftermarket item and can easily be replaced with either factort steel panels or similar FiberGlass or ABS plastec panels. You just need to drill out about 7 rivets on the door sills or remove an equal number of screws, depending on how the panels were secured. There are also severalscrews beneathh the rocker panels and one in each wheel well.

What are you looking for to replace the panels with? I have a set of gloss black ABS rocker panels that I no longer need since I'm having flares added to my 72. Could do an out right trade if you're interested, if you decide tobuy the car.
drewvw

I have these on my car. I took a small paint brush and painted the letters white it looks pretty good.

I also agree.gif with what was said above, get somebody to look at the car....
brant
Often the raised rockers were purchased by an owner to replace rusted out stock metal panels.

usually the panel rusts just before the longitudinal.

If I'm looking to buy a car, its a sure sign to me that I want to pull those off and inspect the longitudinals for rust prior to purchase.

T/R racer
Thank you for the information. I going another direction on the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.