Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 356 "Field" Find, Is it a good deal??
URY914
post Aug 8 2006, 08:26 PM
Post #21

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

This one is close to me and has been on Samba for some time now. You could buy a fleet of 914's for what these will cost you to properly restore.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=306776
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
grasshopper
post Aug 8 2006, 08:34 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,258

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Well.....I can see why. I guess you guys have talked me out of another one... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) First and last 356...
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Aug 8 2006, 08:43 PM
Post #23

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Whoever thinks that 356 above is gonna be restored is nuttier than batshit. They bought a VIN #......
+Quote Post
bondo
post Aug 8 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #24

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

I'd say if YOU really want a 356, buy it and fix it in whatever way YOU want. Enjoy having a 356, and don't ever worry about not having an english wheel. If your plan is to turn a profit, look it over carefully. If it'll stand up under its own weight, buy it, and get it out of the field and onto some good tires. Clean it up the best you can, but DO NOT fix it. Sell it at that point, and you'll probably get your best $ for your effort.

I've bought and sold many cars. The ones I made money on I sold shortly after getting cleaned up. The ones I lost money on are the ones I worked hardest on. Here's an example: MGB. I bought that car for $850. I got it running, but it had a high rpm rod knock. As a running and driving MGB, I probably could have doubled my money even with the rod knock. But no, I rebuilt the engine, replaced all the rubber, painted it, and now I can't get anywhere near what I have in it. I did get a good 7 years of use out of it, but was it really worth it? My mistake was that I went into it because I really wanted it, and never planned to sell it. I was building MY mgb. Then I got into 914s and changed my mind. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

So there you have it. I say look deep inside yourself, and make that choice... 356 later, or profit now. You can always buy it and postpone that decision, but don't forget to make that decision before you get too deep.

+Quote Post
SGB
post Aug 8 2006, 08:56 PM
Post #25

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

wow Royce, what a beauty! Steel bumpers, wires, good top... Hold out fo a decent price. Someone who apppreciates it will come along. Steele bumper Bs are going up fast in price, following the path of the bug-eye. That car is only a few years away from major vaue.
+Quote Post
grasshopper
post Aug 8 2006, 09:15 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Well..I really need some money for the SIX, which now looks like it will have to be freshend up...E Cams, S Pistons...other stuff too...but I'm keeping that a secret. So I guess I will buy it, clean up the interior wash it, buy some tires, and resell the thing.... Thanks guys!
+Quote Post
bondo
post Aug 8 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(SGB @ Aug 8 2006, 07:56 PM) *

wow Royce, what a beauty! Steel bumpers, wires, good top... Hold out fo a decent price. Someone who apppreciates it will come along. Steele bumper Bs are going up fast in price, following the path of the bug-eye. That car is only a few years away from major vaue.

I wish I could keep it forever. But I can only have so many cars. I've got to cash out now, financially it's my only option. Well not quite only... it's either give up the MG, or give up the V8 914 project.. what would you choose? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
G e o r g e
post Aug 8 2006, 09:21 PM
Post #28

Dr

Member No.: 4,832

QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 8 2006, 08:15 PM) *

Well..I really need some money for the SIX, which now looks like it will have to be freshend up...E Cams, S Pistons...other stuff too...but I'm keeping that a secret. So I guess I will buy it, clean up the interior wash it, buy some tires, and resell the thing.... Thanks guys!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) good plan
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Aug 8 2006, 09:30 PM
Post #29

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

At $1,800 it sounds like a deal. If the car is fairly compleat as you say, I'd buy it and put it in the shed. If you decide that you need the $$ for the six you probably could double that if you cleaned it up and put it on Ebay....
+Quote Post
messix
post Aug 8 2006, 09:37 PM
Post #30

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

go ahead and buy it!

all you nay say'ers back off and let this kid learn at the resto shop, he'll be learning skills and this car would be great for him to learn on. it's only metal for gods sake, if he screws something up on his first try it can always be redone later when he has mastered the skills.

don't shoot down a possable great craftsman earaly because he doesn't yet have the skills. his family is supportive in a way that is beyond compare.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Aug 8 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(messix @ Aug 8 2006, 08:37 PM) *

go ahead and buy it!

all you nay say'ers back off and let this kid learn at the resto shop, he'll be learning skills and this car would be great for him to learn on. it's only metal for gods sake, if he screws something up on his first try it can always be redone later when he has mastered the skills.

don't shoot down a possable great craftsman earaly because he doesn't yet have the skills. his family is supportive in a way that is beyond compare.

Oh, he's got skills. I started really working on cars probably about when he did (early teens). From what I've seen posted here, I'd say we're about even now. I'm 31... how old are you now grasshopper? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Keep up that pace and by the time you're my age you'll be building custom cars from scratch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Boojum
post Aug 8 2006, 09:54 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 6,550

QUOTE(GWN7 @ Aug 8 2006, 09:30 PM) *

At $1,800 it sounds like a deal. If the car is fairly compleat as you say, I'd buy it and put it in the shed. If you decide that you need the $$ for the six you probably could double that if you cleaned it up and put it on Ebay....

No joke. At $1800 that's like free money. It's like buying a house off a 90 year old grandma for $100,000 because you know it'll go for $300,000 with a little sprucing up... And you don't even have to evict a nice grandma (a few mice on the other hand..)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 9 2006, 12:03 AM
Post #33

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I sold a 1958 sunroof for 7500.00 and it needed everthing. Buy it. If you decide to repair it, cool. If you decide to flip it, you'll make money. Don't start bringing people out there you'll spook the seller. I'm not telling you to steal it. The seller set the price. I'm telling you to take the deal and make some money.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 9 2006, 12:06 AM
Post #34

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(anthony @ Aug 8 2006, 06:47 PM) *

I'd go down and give them the $1800 cash asap and sort out the details later. Worst case scenario, you part it out.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Aug 9 2006, 05:09 AM
Post #35

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

I have been looking for a "Rough" 356 to use for mock up purposes for a Turbo system and maybe to make an "Outlaw" out of... If you don't want it let me know..

356s are about the most expensive car to restore. I have supplied engines for customers spending 40K+ on the resto, NOT including the engine!!
+Quote Post
davep
post Aug 9 2006, 05:30 AM
Post #36

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

It MAY be a good deal at that price. You may be able to flip it for a profit.
To give you an idea about restoring a 356, try replacing a door. Find a good door of the proper style and restore it. Then mount the door on the body and align properly, some trimming of the door may be necessary. Lead the door to the body (as in body filler lead metal). Cut the door gap with a hot knife. Yep, the factory custom cut each door to the body, and no two doors are the same.

I remember cutting up a cab about 20 years ago using only a screwdriver. Had a bunch of coupes and a pair of Conv D's as well. I'm much happier with my 914's thanks. The 914 has but one hellhole, the 356 is a hellhole it seems. Good luck with the project.
+Quote Post
grasshopper
post Aug 9 2006, 06:28 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Dang it! Now I dont know what to do...Yeah, I know "buy it!" but what then....I think I'll just leave it in a storage garage for about ten years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
nomore9one4
post Aug 9 2006, 06:43 AM
Post #38

Member of the Eastcoast Thread Killers Club

Member No.: 14

I say buy it! Sit on it awhile and see if it feels right. If not sell it and put a few dollars into your pocket. It is a simple decision,unless you are taking food off your table to pay for it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
drewvw
post Aug 9 2006, 07:12 AM
Post #39

new england car guy

Member No.: 5,630
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) even if its only semi solid you should definitely buy it, its worth it. You have a compound(s) to stash it so you can take your time on it or sell it later on.

when I was 20, i came across a "free" 356 that some guy had and I was all jacked up to get it and restore it myself. It was trashed but I had stars in my eyes. I quickly learned that even if you do all the work its still going to cost a fortune, esp if it doesnt have an engine (does it...might have missed that part)

get us some pics!!!

I do know a guy thats sitting on a 64 356...he refuses to sell it to me, tries to pawn off some crappy TR-7s to change the subject. time to ask him again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 9 2006, 07:19 AM
Post #40

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

A "barn" find is better than a "field" find.
And when the barn is climate controlled and dust free, al the better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 02:34 PM