Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 356 "Field" Find
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
grasshopper
Hey guys! My dad just went to pick up a 914 today, and when he was there he spotted a 356 out in the field. It was a 1958 cabriolet with a hardtop (I thought that was a really rare option). It was complete with the original engine (not in car, but complete). The car needs floor pans and rockers, but is otherwise solid. The guy only wanted $1800 for it...which I thought was cheap, but wanted to ask you guys first. Let me know. Thanks! biggrin.gif
type47
with your sportomatic project i'd say skip it or you'll be stretched too thin. ever wonder about the price of the restoration of a 356? enough to get your mom a boxster-tip instead of a 914-sporto.
grasshopper
I'm not going to send it to someone to do the resto! I'm going to do it myself... Repair panles dont cost too much on RD.... Anyway, you could make a profit restoring one of these things. Put $20,000 into it (yeah, like thats going to happen) and you could easily resell it for $40,000-$50,000.
swl
I have a real soft spot for the 356. It it is for real and solid somebody should get it the heck out of that field! For me that is a car really worth restoring.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 8 2006, 09:27 PM) *

Hey guys! My dad just went to pick up a 914 today, and when he was there he spotted a 356 out in the field. It was a 1958 cabriolet with a hardtop (I thought that was a really rare option). It was complete with the original engine (not in car, but complete). The car needs floor pans and rockers, but is otherwise solid. The guy only wanted $1800 for it...which I thought was cheap, but wanted to ask you guys first. Let me know. Thanks! biggrin.gif

Wow, before you even ponder it get a 356 expert to look it over! Horror tales abound about 356's that were initial bargains but turned out to have the wrong nose or tail, etc. Plus, no matter how cheap you go on a restoration, you'll be in a lot deeper than on a 914 (stock).

How come no one else has found this car? I'd pass if you're doing another car right now. In fact, I'd save money & buy one that someone else has had to spend the bucks on. Unless it's rare (& this one isn't so rare) it's a loosing proposition. Now, if you want to hang on to it for 20 years or so,,,,,,,,,
grasshopper
It's a loosing proposition at $1800?? Parts cars are going for $5000 on ebay...
grasshopper
BTW, the car will have to wait a few years to start anyway, so I'm not going to try and fund two projects at the same time.... So it will be in a storage garage until we thin out the projects a little.
anthony
I'd go down and give them the $1800 cash asap and sort out the details later. Worst case scenario, you part it out.
grasshopper
Thats what I thought...I REALLY dont want to part it out, because I am absolutly in love with 356's but never could afford one..and this is probably the only chance we will get.
Joe Bob
Never restore one of those things unless you own a shop....buy it and flip it....
grasshopper
Why not restore it??
r_towle
Buy it, sell it to me for 3k, one day deal.
Ill ship it.
I will need about ten pics.
Rich
grasshopper
LOL... I'll think about it Rich. I really want a 356 though.... Just obsessed with 914's....
Cap'n Krusty
356 people want cars that have been done right. You're NOT gonna do it right, and you'll be in the crowd of 95% of the guys trying to make a buck on a floor pan job. We're getting ready to start on the mechanicals of a 59 coupe that's been away at the restorer just getting the body work done. A year and $15K later, the car is ready to have the finishing body work and paint done. There are probably less than a half dozen guys on the Pacific Coast that are capable of doing it right, and maybe twice that in the whole country, and they've all been doing this for years. What looked to the casual observer to be a "simple" floor pan job ended up being nearly everything 12-15" up from the actual floor. Had to be done on a fixture much like the Celette bench they put Andy's car on. There are hidden panels and bulkheads inside and behind everything you can see. Things big bux 356 purchasers know about, and will want verification of repairs and/or condition. It'll cost you $4-6K to do the motor right, and $2K + to do the tranny. The rubber isn't bad, but everything else is pricey, and any buyer even slightly in the know will look at it ALL. Buy it, pass it on for a profit, and walk away from it. BTW, the hard tops aren't all that rare. I have a '59 cab here at the shop that has NEVER had any rust and NEVER been in an accident. Once we do thje engine and brakes, the car might be worth $28-30K, but we'll have to find the right buyer at the right time, and the buyer will have to paint it. The Cap'n
r_towle
pm coming.

Rich
grasshopper
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 8 2006, 06:04 PM) *

You're NOT gonna do it right, and you'll be in the crowd of 95% of the guys trying to make a buck on a floor pan job.

Thanks dry.gif Why wont I do it right? I am going to be working at a long time Porsche Restoration Shop next summer, and the guys has been doing this stuff for 30+ years. How hard is redoing the floors? Drill the Spotwelds, remove the old, clean up any rough spots, spot weld the new floors on like the factory, same with the rockers. Unless this is a lot more complicated.
URY914
This was on Pelican as selling for on eBay $8600 chairfall.gif
URY914
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 8 2006, 06:11 PM) *

Unless this is a lot more complicated.

Fixing the car pictured above is a LITTLE more complicated.
Flat VW
Does it come with the 'trailer' too?

John
brant
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 8 2006, 08:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 8 2006, 06:04 PM) *

You're NOT gonna do it right, and you'll be in the crowd of 95% of the guys trying to make a buck on a floor pan job.

Thanks dry.gif Why wont I do it right? I am going to be working at a long time Porsche Restoration Shop next summer, and the guys has been doing this stuff for 30+ years. How hard is redoing the floors? Drill the Spotwelds, remove the old, clean up any rough spots, spot weld the new floors on like the factory, same with the rockers. Unless this is a lot more complicated.

I've got to add..
if you compaired the way a typical 914 guy (myself included) does rust repair and welding....

compaired to the way a professional restoration shop would do a car like a 356..
there is a huge, HUGE, HUGE difference.

grasshopper, ever wonder why those guys that have been doing it for 30 years are called craftsman... thats right... they have 30 years of learning behind them to make it look factory. Sure, go to work at the shop. in 10 years you might be good enough to do it and have the equiptment (got a real spot welder, or just plan on using a mig?)

hey, I'll admit.. I'm just an average teener guy.
but thats what the captain is talking about.
its learned skill.
makes a difference
and makes a HUGE difference when it comes to the difference between an amateur driver car versus a pro restoration.

I'm all for amateur drivers, but don't throw around numbers that are typical of what pro restorations are selling for.
figure you cut about 2/3rds off of those numbers and you'll be close.

Heck... do it and keep it.
drive it and enjoy.
but don't do it planning to make 20K when you sell it
because you will have a rude awakening when you go to see how serious the 356 guys are about this stuff.

my 2 cents:
-yes its a good deal
no your not going to have a 40K car when your done...
(unless you invest 40K into it.... then you have a 40K car. ha...)

its similar to a teener.
"buy the best one you can afford if you want to ultimately spend less money"
"don't try and fix one up if your trying to save a buck"

brant
URY914
This one is close to me and has been on Samba for some time now. You could buy a fleet of 914's for what these will cost you to properly restore.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=306776
grasshopper
blink.gif Well.....I can see why. I guess you guys have talked me out of another one... sad.gif First and last 356...
Joe Bob
Whoever thinks that 356 above is gonna be restored is nuttier than batshit. They bought a VIN #......
bondo
I'd say if YOU really want a 356, buy it and fix it in whatever way YOU want. Enjoy having a 356, and don't ever worry about not having an english wheel. If your plan is to turn a profit, look it over carefully. If it'll stand up under its own weight, buy it, and get it out of the field and onto some good tires. Clean it up the best you can, but DO NOT fix it. Sell it at that point, and you'll probably get your best $ for your effort.

I've bought and sold many cars. The ones I made money on I sold shortly after getting cleaned up. The ones I lost money on are the ones I worked hardest on. Here's an example: MGB. I bought that car for $850. I got it running, but it had a high rpm rod knock. As a running and driving MGB, I probably could have doubled my money even with the rod knock. But no, I rebuilt the engine, replaced all the rubber, painted it, and now I can't get anywhere near what I have in it. I did get a good 7 years of use out of it, but was it really worth it? My mistake was that I went into it because I really wanted it, and never planned to sell it. I was building MY mgb. Then I got into 914s and changed my mind. smile.gif

So there you have it. I say look deep inside yourself, and make that choice... 356 later, or profit now. You can always buy it and postpone that decision, but don't forget to make that decision before you get too deep.

SGB
wow Royce, what a beauty! Steel bumpers, wires, good top... Hold out fo a decent price. Someone who apppreciates it will come along. Steele bumper Bs are going up fast in price, following the path of the bug-eye. That car is only a few years away from major vaue.
grasshopper
Well..I really need some money for the SIX, which now looks like it will have to be freshend up...E Cams, S Pistons...other stuff too...but I'm keeping that a secret. So I guess I will buy it, clean up the interior wash it, buy some tires, and resell the thing.... Thanks guys!
bondo
QUOTE(SGB @ Aug 8 2006, 07:56 PM) *

wow Royce, what a beauty! Steel bumpers, wires, good top... Hold out fo a decent price. Someone who apppreciates it will come along. Steele bumper Bs are going up fast in price, following the path of the bug-eye. That car is only a few years away from major vaue.

I wish I could keep it forever. But I can only have so many cars. I've got to cash out now, financially it's my only option. Well not quite only... it's either give up the MG, or give up the V8 914 project.. what would you choose? smile.gif
G e o r g e
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 8 2006, 08:15 PM) *

Well..I really need some money for the SIX, which now looks like it will have to be freshend up...E Cams, S Pistons...other stuff too...but I'm keeping that a secret. So I guess I will buy it, clean up the interior wash it, buy some tires, and resell the thing.... Thanks guys!

agree.gif good plan
GWN7
At $1,800 it sounds like a deal. If the car is fairly compleat as you say, I'd buy it and put it in the shed. If you decide that you need the $$ for the six you probably could double that if you cleaned it up and put it on Ebay....
messix
go ahead and buy it!

all you nay say'ers back off and let this kid learn at the resto shop, he'll be learning skills and this car would be great for him to learn on. it's only metal for gods sake, if he screws something up on his first try it can always be redone later when he has mastered the skills.

don't shoot down a possable great craftsman earaly because he doesn't yet have the skills. his family is supportive in a way that is beyond compare.
bondo
QUOTE(messix @ Aug 8 2006, 08:37 PM) *

go ahead and buy it!

all you nay say'ers back off and let this kid learn at the resto shop, he'll be learning skills and this car would be great for him to learn on. it's only metal for gods sake, if he screws something up on his first try it can always be redone later when he has mastered the skills.

don't shoot down a possable great craftsman earaly because he doesn't yet have the skills. his family is supportive in a way that is beyond compare.

Oh, he's got skills. I started really working on cars probably about when he did (early teens). From what I've seen posted here, I'd say we're about even now. I'm 31... how old are you now grasshopper? biggrin.gif

Keep up that pace and by the time you're my age you'll be building custom cars from scratch. smile.gif
Boojum
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Aug 8 2006, 09:30 PM) *

At $1,800 it sounds like a deal. If the car is fairly compleat as you say, I'd buy it and put it in the shed. If you decide that you need the $$ for the six you probably could double that if you cleaned it up and put it on Ebay....

No joke. At $1800 that's like free money. It's like buying a house off a 90 year old grandma for $100,000 because you know it'll go for $300,000 with a little sprucing up... And you don't even have to evict a nice grandma (a few mice on the other hand..)
rick 918-S
I sold a 1958 sunroof for 7500.00 and it needed everthing. Buy it. If you decide to repair it, cool. If you decide to flip it, you'll make money. Don't start bringing people out there you'll spook the seller. I'm not telling you to steal it. The seller set the price. I'm telling you to take the deal and make some money.
SirAndy
QUOTE(anthony @ Aug 8 2006, 06:47 PM) *

I'd go down and give them the $1800 cash asap and sort out the details later. Worst case scenario, you part it out.

agree.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Jake Raby
I have been looking for a "Rough" 356 to use for mock up purposes for a Turbo system and maybe to make an "Outlaw" out of... If you don't want it let me know..

356s are about the most expensive car to restore. I have supplied engines for customers spending 40K+ on the resto, NOT including the engine!!
davep
It MAY be a good deal at that price. You may be able to flip it for a profit.
To give you an idea about restoring a 356, try replacing a door. Find a good door of the proper style and restore it. Then mount the door on the body and align properly, some trimming of the door may be necessary. Lead the door to the body (as in body filler lead metal). Cut the door gap with a hot knife. Yep, the factory custom cut each door to the body, and no two doors are the same.

I remember cutting up a cab about 20 years ago using only a screwdriver. Had a bunch of coupes and a pair of Conv D's as well. I'm much happier with my 914's thanks. The 914 has but one hellhole, the 356 is a hellhole it seems. Good luck with the project.
grasshopper
Dang it! Now I dont know what to do...Yeah, I know "buy it!" but what then....I think I'll just leave it in a storage garage for about ten years. happy11.gif
nomore9one4
I say buy it! Sit on it awhile and see if it feels right. If not sell it and put a few dollars into your pocket. It is a simple decision,unless you are taking food off your table to pay for it. dry.gif
drewvw
agree.gif even if its only semi solid you should definitely buy it, its worth it. You have a compound(s) to stash it so you can take your time on it or sell it later on.

when I was 20, i came across a "free" 356 that some guy had and I was all jacked up to get it and restore it myself. It was trashed but I had stars in my eyes. I quickly learned that even if you do all the work its still going to cost a fortune, esp if it doesnt have an engine (does it...might have missed that part)

get us some pics!!!

I do know a guy thats sitting on a 64 356...he refuses to sell it to me, tries to pawn off some crappy TR-7s to change the subject. time to ask him again biggrin.gif
URY914
A "barn" find is better than a "field" find.
And when the barn is climate controlled and dust free, al the better. biggrin.gif
double-a
if you have the $$ handy and don't mind parting with it, go for it! what's the worst that could happen? resell it for more money? that's not a bad deal.

and pics would be nice wink.gif

~a
JoeSharp
[quote]Thanks dry.gif Why wont I do it right? [quote]

Barry: For the first time I'm going aginst The Capt.
You are in your youth and no one can tell you what to do with your life. I belive in you Barry and I have seen your skills grow. You will be a 914 GURU. You will learn all of the skills you need to do the job correctly. When I was your age my father tried to get me to work metal and what I learned then I still use today.
Linda has done several 356 and she is good source of info. Her and her-ex did three and put a sunroof on a coupe, I think. He took the car when he left and Linda only got the shaft. Maybe she will chime in.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
brer
I built a 356 when I was 15 and everyone said the same thing to me.

do want you want man.
dont listen to the purists who have bookmarked this thread hoping for the opportunity to score a cab. from a kid.

fix the rust, paint it black with a white iron cross on each door,
throw a type 4 motor in it and have fun.

boxstr
Grassopper Buy it put it in the barn or garage and sit on it for a few years. When the time comes either resore it or sell it, you will have fun and make a little $$ doing it.
CCLINGOFORIT
Dr Evil
Barry,
Buy it and wait to see how you feel. No need to hurry, these things will only appreciate and you have storage biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
[quote name='Joe Sharp' date='Aug 9 2006, 08:20 AM' post='748382']
[quote]Thanks dry.gif Why wont I do it right? [quote]

Barry: For the first time I'm going aginst The Capt.
You are in your youth and no one can tell you what to do with your life. I belive in you Barry and I have seen your skills grow. You will be a 914 GURU. You will learn all of the skills you need to do the job correctly. When I was your age my father tried to get me to work metal and what I learned then I still use today.
Linda has done several 356 and she is good source of info. Her and her-ex did three and put a sunroof on a coupe, I think. He took the car when he left and Linda only got the shaft. Maybe she will chime in.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
[/quote]

That's OK, Joe. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. However, I hope you'll accept part of the blame when his anticipated $20-30K profit turns into a loss. I see 356 basket cases often, and have close friends in the business (or avocation) of bringing them back to life. I think they're gonna side with my point of view. He REALLY hasn't a clue what he's getting into. If he chooses to roll it for some good bucks, fine. If he hopes to restore it (and I mean RESTORE it), then he's in for a dream shattering eye-opening rude awakening. As for lead work, as somebody mentioned earlier, why don't we see very many lead men who aren't senior citizens? Because it's HARD! Doing these cars right is a challenge most people are not equipped, mentally, physically, and financially. Easier, not to mention cheaper, to pick one up from someone who's already gone off the deep end and needs to be rescued from his passion.

This guy comes home from his first visit to the Pomona swapmeet. He's got an old rusty hubcap in his hand, and he's so excited he can hardly stand still. His wife calms him down enough to talk, and asks him what he's got there. "It's a hubcap", he says, "from a 72 914!" "What ever are you gonna do with THAT?", she asks. "You don't HAVE a 914." "I'm gonna restore the car!", he replies.

The Cap'n
cooltimes
My $.02 is worth nothing really but here is the way I see it.
The best way to make money is have something a lot of other people would like to have. Seems that has happened with your barn find. Go for the money.
Did I not read it right? Rich said $3000 and he'll ship. That is $1200 profit.
Then on the other hand, maybe Raby will up the offer because he must feel there is potential to be interested and as we all know, he knows about these things. Maybe you can do some Grasshopper/Raby trading. Varoom....

Honestly though, I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy anything automobile related as this is without seeing some sort of photo.

MikeCool
grasshopperSR
dry.gif Ok guys, this is Barry SR, a lurker. You know, the old fart that works all the time and pays for this stuff. The car is all complete with a screwed on sheet metal floor pan. Nothing fits right obviously. Even to trailer it I will need to support the center since the top is the strongest part of the car. It is not beat all up like the ones I see here though. No, neither Barry Jr. or I have the skills to do a purist job. It would never be a $40k exotic car sale for the purist.

Right now I'm thinking the car will cost Jr. at least one "A" and no "C" this quarter, plus the grass stays cut, and the computer goes off by 10pm. Now, Is that a good deal or bad deal?
jasons
First thing you need to do is see what the status of the title and ownership is. If the car doesn't have a title or it is somehow F'd.... Then you are talking about a whole new situation.
nomore9one4
QUOTE(grasshopperSR @ Aug 9 2006, 08:17 AM) *

dry.gif Ok guys, this is Barry SR, a lurker. You know, the old fart that works all the time and pays for this stuff. The car is all complete with a screwed on sheet metal floor pan. Nothing fits right obviously. Even to trailer it I will need to support the center since the top is the strongest part of the car. It is not beat all up like the ones I see here though. No, neither Barry Jr. or I have the skills to do a purist job. It would never be a $40k exotic car sale for the purist.

Right now I'm thinking the car will cost Jr. at least one "A" and no "C" this quarter, plus the grass stays cut, and the computer goes off by 10pm. Now, Is that a good deal or bad deal?

Thats depends, What does Mrs. Grasshopper say? blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.