Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 356 "Field" Find
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Cap'n Krusty
I suggest you front him the bux, if you can, and work with him to turn a quick and modest profit. Let him keep as much as the profit as he earns after he pays you reasonable interest. My dad did that for me, I've done it for my kids. Set a reasonable time limit and let him run with it. The more work he does, the more he makes. If you end up doing all the work, you get to keep the profits. The Cap'n
Jake Raby
If the car doesn't have a title or it is somehow F'd.... Then you are talking about a whole new situation.

Not in Georgia..

The Nazis haven't screwed our system up like other states...

I go to the tag office, show them a bill of sale and insurance card and they'll register anything as long as it's 13 years or older with NO title needed!

I have registered cars that had been off the road for 30 years and not registered- no questions asked..

jasons
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 9 2006, 09:24 AM) *

If the car doesn't have a title or it is somehow F'd.... Then you are talking about a whole new situation.

Not in Georgia..

The Nazis haven't screwed our system up like other states...

I go to the tag office, show them a bill of sale and insurance card and they'll register anything as long as it's 13 years or older with NO title needed!

I have registered cars that had been off the road for 30 years and not registered- no questions asked..

Note to self... Don't buy any possible Katrina flood cars with clean GA titles.

I'm not sure if thats a good or bad policy, but it sure is convenient.

I say buy the car an throw her up on ebay. I wouldn't be surprised if the hardtop was worth $1800. One of my best friends has a Pre-A, and I can't believe what he pays for some stuff.
bondo
If you do painstakingly restore it into a concours show car... Stay away from railroad tracks!!! biggrin.gif
Dominic
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 8 2006, 06:27 PM) *

Hey guys! My dad just went to pick up a 914 today, and when he was there he spotted a 356 out in the field. It was a 1958 cabriolet with a hardtop (I thought that was a really rare option). It was complete with the original engine (not in car, but complete). The car needs floor pans and rockers, but is otherwise solid. The guy only wanted $1800 for it...which I thought was cheap, but wanted to ask you guys first. Let me know. Thanks! biggrin.gif

If this was actually in a field for some time I'm sure that more than just the floors and rockers are gone......look real hard under the car, battery box up front, and in the engine compartment. Don't forget the leaded fender seams, yes they used lead before bondo was invented.

With that said it's still worth the $$. Buy it now! It will be worth a shit load of $$ in the future.

I just flipped a 68' 911S that I found and it was rusted to hell, yet someone over in the U.K. wanted to restore it. It seems that the early 911S is the next 356 when it comes to rare Porsches.

Good luck and show us some pics of this find. clap56.gif
/L.
OH MY GOD!! 356's were my favorite car until they got out of my price range. I had a '65 sunroof 356. It was beautiful but my ex-boyfriend always told me "Do not love a car!" and he sold it with a few other cars and motorcycle and bought a house in Laguna Nigel ( a very uppedie place in SoCal) dead horse.gif . But anyway $1800 for a 356 and ALL parts are there is a great deal. And only because you can fix it and sell it for ALOT mo money. A coverible with a hard top is worth lots. If I'm not mistaken they go for about $ 40k now. Done of course. Those cars are fun to drive but nothing like the 914 but a geat car. I hope you take an opportunity like this and make a nice little ride for yourself. OK it may take alot of money to restore but what doesn't? If anything sell it part by part and that would give you some bucks for your 914 to be finished. If you have any questions pm me, I'd be more than happy to talk with you again. I promise I'll keep it clean happy11.gif
Good Luck smile.gif
JoeSharp
Just a reminder. Linda's car took best 4 at the WCC.
:PERMAGRI8N: Joe
Lou W
[quote name='boxstr' date='Aug 9 2006, 08:46 AM' post='748397']
Grassopper Buy it put it in the barn or garage and sit on it for a few years. When the time comes either resore it or sell it, you will have fun and make a little $$ doing it.
CCLINGOFORIT
[/quote]

agree.gif

This guy comes home from his first visit to the Pomona swapmeet. He's got an old rusty hubcap in his hand, and he's so excited he can hardly stand still. His wife calms him down enough to talk, and asks him what he's got there. "It's a hubcap", he says, "from a 72 914!" "What ever are you gonna do with THAT?", she asks. "You don't HAVE a 914." "I'm gonna restore the car!", he replies.

The Cap'n
[/quote]

laugh.gif

[quote name='grasshopperSR' date='Aug 9 2006, 09:17 AM' post='748416']
dry.gif Ok guys, this is Barry SR, a lurker. You know, the old fart that works all the time and pays for this stuff. The car is all complete with a screwed on sheet metal floor pan. Nothing fits right obviously. Even to trailer it I will need to support the center since the top is the strongest part of the car. It is not beat all up like the ones I see here though. No, neither Barry Jr. or I have the skills to do a purist job. It would never be a $40k exotic car sale for the purist.

Right now I'm thinking the car will cost Jr. at least one "A" and no "C" this quarter, plus the grass stays cut, and the computer goes off by 10pm. Now, Is that a good deal or bad deal?
[/quote]

hide.gif Watchout, dad's home. smile.gif

I'd probably buy it, and stuff it in a garage, not spend any additional money on it for now. Hone my rebuilding skills first on the 914, after he starts his new job, he may have help from the shop to make it into a nice car.

I think back to some of the cars that "got away" and really wished I had just bought them and waited for the right time to do something with them.

I think it's great that Sr. Grasshopper is taking an interest in what Jr's doing, I have some very fond memories of me and my dad working on my first car.

Jr, you are very lucky. smile.gif
GWN7
QUOTE(grasshopperSR @ Aug 9 2006, 09:17 AM) *

dry.gif Ok guys, this is Barry SR, a lurker. You know, the old fart that works all the time and pays for this stuff. The car is all complete with a screwed on sheet metal floor pan. Nothing fits right obviously. Even to trailer it I will need to support the center since the top is the strongest part of the car. It is not beat all up like the ones I see here though. No, neither Barry Jr. or I have the skills to do a purist job. It would never be a $40k exotic car sale for the purist.

Right now I'm thinking the car will cost Jr. at least one "A" and no "C" this quarter, plus the grass stays cut, and the computer goes off by 10pm. Now, Is that a good deal or bad deal?

Good deal....

Buy it , stick it in the garage and see what happens....worst case is a "B" and you will sell it and double your $$'s biggrin.gif
GTeener
Uncanny timing...

A co-worker just came to me this morning asking me if I knew anyone interested in a bunch of early model factory part books with exploded illustrations and part numbers for a bunch of Porsche models, 356's being amonst them. I think he said one was even still in plastic ohmy.gif

Anyone interested in buying these? He said he'd put them on EBay soon.

Contact Corey Rolin [RolinCD@snapon.com]
GTeener
Was it Janis Joplin's hippy trippy 356? laugh.gif

hijacked.gif
Anyone ever done a hippy trippy 914?
drewvw

1 "A" and no "Cs" for a 356 restoration project....

Barry Sr I will make that deal with you no problem!

laugh.gif
markb
Buy it. Flip it. When you have your other ambitious projects done, if you still want a 356, I'm sure one will be there for you. Just my .02.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Aug 9 2006, 10:47 AM) *

Just a reminder. Linda's car took best 4 at the WCC.
:PERMAGRI8N: Joe

She paid all of us to vote for her with beer3.gif

av-943.gif

/L.
flipa.gif
GTeener
FYI ya'll thumb3d.gif

Rolin, Corey wrote:
Subject: RE: Porsche books

Gwen,
Here's the info on the Porsche 356 books I have. It's a set of hardcover Porsche 356B factory parts books. I say "set" because 3 books are supplements to the main 356B book and they all belong together. The coverage date matches the info below (Published beginning in 1960). The main book has hard cardboard covers, maroon borders, a sort of abstract design picture fascia with removable page fasteners and is about 3" thick. There is one 356B supplement, and two 356C supplements. One of the 356C supplements is still in the plastic with the part # sticker taping it closed. The supplements are about 1 1/4" thick hard covered vinyl books. They appear to be 100% complete, but a little dirty and may have a few fingerprints on the pages. These are Bumper to bumper factory parts coverage with exploded views and factory part numbers. Some of the books have had factory updates or revisions installed, but I don’t remember which of them. Here's a link I found describing the books from the 356 Registry website and I copied the info about the books that I have.

http://www.356registry.org/Tech/partsbooks.html

The 356-B 1960 Parts Book.
Next in the order of things comes the 356-B parts book published in January 1960. This 356-B was designated the T-5. The lineup of covered models changes somewhat to include: Coupes, Cabriolet Hardtops, Roadsters, and Hardtop 61's.
The engines covered include:
1600 Serial numbers beginning at P-606,800
1600-S Serial numbers beginning at P-700,000
1600 S-90 Serial numbers beginning at P-804,000
Now you guys with B T-5's can run out and see what engine is really in your car! The organization of the book is essentially the same as the 356-A book.
Interestingly, we have had the following Porsche 356 models: (1) coupes, (2) cabriolets. (3) cabriolet/hardtops, (4) America
Roadsters, (5) speedsters, (6) convertible D's, (7) roadsters, and (8) Hardtop 61's. This list omits the various Carrera models, the Spyders, and other racing models. I used to think there were only coupes, cabriolets, and speedsters!

The 356-B T-6 1961 Parts Book.
The T-6 356-B parts book first came out as a series of supplements to the 356-B T-5 parts book beginning in September 1961 (model year 62). Substantial changes were made in the T-6 compared to the T-5, most conspicuous among them was the gas tank filler on the passenger side front fender. In addition, the front trunk lid was more squared on the T-6 as compared to the T-5. To have a complete parts book for a 356-B T-6, it was necessary to have the original 356-B parts book along with the T-6 supplement set. In the supplements, only the new or changed parts were described.

The 356-C 1963 Parts Book.
The changes for the 356-C were handled in the same way, i.e. another set of supplements published in August 1963. This
"2nd supplement" to the Spare Parts Catalog 356-B for PORSCHE vehicles contains the spare parts which have been modified and/or newly developed for type 356-C." Various supplements were added from August 1963 well into 1965.

Conclusion
Original parts books are a real treasure, and they contain a lot of information that is useful no matter what level of work you do
on your car. They are great obviously for parts identification. More importantly, the exploded-views show how part assemblies
go together and in what order, and the relationship to other assemblies. For assembly/disassembly work and for restoration
projects, the parts books are an invaluable visual aid.

Here's another link I found with a lot more info regarding these books.
http://members.aol.com/Mistri4u/356PartsBooks.html
swl
QUOTE(grasshopperSR @ Aug 9 2006, 08:17 AM) *

Sir I love the way you think!

Now both of you - step away from the computer and go save that 356!
914rrr
If there is any way you can buy it and stash it, I'd go that route. Better than money in the bank. I keep thinking of that 1966 VW 21 window bus (with working gas heater and brand new whitewall tires) I bought for $200 in the 80's. I drove it till the tranny died and sold it to a buddy for $100. Shoulda, woulda coulda.... alfred.gif
bam914
Barry Sr and Barry Jr ! Thanks for stopping by last week, nice to finally meet you both. Hope the parts work out OK. Buy the 356, get it on the road and see how Porsche got their reputation. There is nothing like driving a 356. A lot of us started out with them and now would give anything to have them back. My wife had a 1962 silver super cabrolet with red leather int when we were married. I've had probably 20 Porsches since then ( married 40 yrs) but still would love to have it back. Al
bam914
Barry's, My son must have been using my computer , thats why it is signed in as BAM914...not Al Meredith
fiid
Sometime, someday, someone needs to put a Subie WRX motor in a 356. Having a radiator upfront would probably improve the weight distibution too smile.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
grasshopper
Cool, you could help. Just dont give me DIRECTIONS on how to do it...lol chairfall.gif
krazykonrad
When you think about it, the days of finding old 356's like that are fast disapearing. They are'nt getting any un-rustier. For the price, unless its an absolute giant hunk of rust like in the previous pictures, go for it. It would be way cooler to take your futute kids or grandkids in a spin in a 356 rather than saying, one time I saw one for cheap and now its rusted away in some field. THe price is right, go forth and do it!
Konrad 72/4
dwillouby
Barry, Id say buy it and keep it. Years later you will be glad you did. I remember one of my biggest mistakes was when I was 17. I decided not to buy a non running real GT 40. It was owned by an ex racer sitting buried in the back of his shop. I thought 3500.00 was to high.

David
GTeener
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.