Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 356 "Field" Find, Is it a good deal??
double-a
post Aug 9 2006, 09:11 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

if you have the $$ handy and don't mind parting with it, go for it! what's the worst that could happen? resell it for more money? that's not a bad deal.

and pics would be nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

~a
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post Aug 9 2006, 09:20 AM
Post #42

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

Member No.: 898
Region Association: South East States

[quote]Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Why wont I do it right? [quote]

Barry: For the first time I'm going aginst The Capt.
You are in your youth and no one can tell you what to do with your life. I belive in you Barry and I have seen your skills grow. You will be a 914 GURU. You will learn all of the skills you need to do the job correctly. When I was your age my father tried to get me to work metal and what I learned then I still use today.
Linda has done several 356 and she is good source of info. Her and her-ex did three and put a sunroof on a coupe, I think. He took the car when he left and Linda only got the shaft. Maybe she will chime in.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
+Quote Post
brer
post Aug 9 2006, 09:28 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,736
Region Association: None

I built a 356 when I was 15 and everyone said the same thing to me.

do want you want man.
dont listen to the purists who have bookmarked this thread hoping for the opportunity to score a cab. from a kid.

fix the rust, paint it black with a white iron cross on each door,
throw a type 4 motor in it and have fun.

+Quote Post
boxstr
post Aug 9 2006, 09:46 AM
Post #44

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Grassopper Buy it put it in the barn or garage and sit on it for a few years. When the time comes either resore it or sell it, you will have fun and make a little $$ doing it.
CCLINGOFORIT
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Aug 9 2006, 09:47 AM
Post #45

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Barry,
Buy it and wait to see how you feel. No need to hurry, these things will only appreciate and you have storage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Aug 9 2006, 10:04 AM
Post #46

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

[quote name='Joe Sharp' date='Aug 9 2006, 08:20 AM' post='748382']
[quote]Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Why wont I do it right? [quote]

Barry: For the first time I'm going aginst The Capt.
You are in your youth and no one can tell you what to do with your life. I belive in you Barry and I have seen your skills grow. You will be a 914 GURU. You will learn all of the skills you need to do the job correctly. When I was your age my father tried to get me to work metal and what I learned then I still use today.
Linda has done several 356 and she is good source of info. Her and her-ex did three and put a sunroof on a coupe, I think. He took the car when he left and Linda only got the shaft. Maybe she will chime in.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
[/quote]

That's OK, Joe. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. However, I hope you'll accept part of the blame when his anticipated $20-30K profit turns into a loss. I see 356 basket cases often, and have close friends in the business (or avocation) of bringing them back to life. I think they're gonna side with my point of view. He REALLY hasn't a clue what he's getting into. If he chooses to roll it for some good bucks, fine. If he hopes to restore it (and I mean RESTORE it), then he's in for a dream shattering eye-opening rude awakening. As for lead work, as somebody mentioned earlier, why don't we see very many lead men who aren't senior citizens? Because it's HARD! Doing these cars right is a challenge most people are not equipped, mentally, physically, and financially. Easier, not to mention cheaper, to pick one up from someone who's already gone off the deep end and needs to be rescued from his passion.

This guy comes home from his first visit to the Pomona swapmeet. He's got an old rusty hubcap in his hand, and he's so excited he can hardly stand still. His wife calms him down enough to talk, and asks him what he's got there. "It's a hubcap", he says, "from a 72 914!" "What ever are you gonna do with THAT?", she asks. "You don't HAVE a 914." "I'm gonna restore the car!", he replies.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Aug 9 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081

My $.02 is worth nothing really but here is the way I see it.
The best way to make money is have something a lot of other people would like to have. Seems that has happened with your barn find. Go for the money.
Did I not read it right? Rich said $3000 and he'll ship. That is $1200 profit.
Then on the other hand, maybe Raby will up the offer because he must feel there is potential to be interested and as we all know, he knows about these things. Maybe you can do some Grasshopper/Raby trading. Varoom....

Honestly though, I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy anything automobile related as this is without seeing some sort of photo.

MikeCool
+Quote Post
grasshopperSR
post Aug 9 2006, 10:17 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 5,994

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Ok guys, this is Barry SR, a lurker. You know, the old fart that works all the time and pays for this stuff. The car is all complete with a screwed on sheet metal floor pan. Nothing fits right obviously. Even to trailer it I will need to support the center since the top is the strongest part of the car. It is not beat all up like the ones I see here though. No, neither Barry Jr. or I have the skills to do a purist job. It would never be a $40k exotic car sale for the purist.

Right now I'm thinking the car will cost Jr. at least one "A" and no "C" this quarter, plus the grass stays cut, and the computer goes off by 10pm. Now, Is that a good deal or bad deal?
+Quote Post
jasons
post Aug 9 2006, 10:18 AM
Post #49

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

First thing you need to do is see what the status of the title and ownership is. If the car doesn't have a title or it is somehow F'd.... Then you are talking about a whole new situation.
+Quote Post
nomore9one4
post Aug 9 2006, 10:22 AM
Post #50

Member of the Eastcoast Thread Killers Club

Member No.: 14

QUOTE(grasshopperSR @ Aug 9 2006, 08:17 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Ok guys, this is Barry SR, a lurker. You know, the old fart that works all the time and pays for this stuff. The car is all complete with a screwed on sheet metal floor pan. Nothing fits right obviously. Even to trailer it I will need to support the center since the top is the strongest part of the car. It is not beat all up like the ones I see here though. No, neither Barry Jr. or I have the skills to do a purist job. It would never be a $40k exotic car sale for the purist.

Right now I'm thinking the car will cost Jr. at least one "A" and no "C" this quarter, plus the grass stays cut, and the computer goes off by 10pm. Now, Is that a good deal or bad deal?

Thats depends, What does Mrs. Grasshopper say? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Aug 9 2006, 10:24 AM
Post #51

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246

I suggest you front him the bux, if you can, and work with him to turn a quick and modest profit. Let him keep as much as the profit as he earns after he pays you reasonable interest. My dad did that for me, I've done it for my kids. Set a reasonable time limit and let him run with it. The more work he does, the more he makes. If you end up doing all the work, you get to keep the profits. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Aug 9 2006, 10:24 AM
Post #52

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

If the car doesn't have a title or it is somehow F'd.... Then you are talking about a whole new situation.

Not in Georgia..

The Nazis haven't screwed our system up like other states...

I go to the tag office, show them a bill of sale and insurance card and they'll register anything as long as it's 13 years or older with NO title needed!

I have registered cars that had been off the road for 30 years and not registered- no questions asked..

+Quote Post
jasons
post Aug 9 2006, 10:30 AM
Post #53

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 9 2006, 09:24 AM) *

If the car doesn't have a title or it is somehow F'd.... Then you are talking about a whole new situation.

Not in Georgia..

The Nazis haven't screwed our system up like other states...

I go to the tag office, show them a bill of sale and insurance card and they'll register anything as long as it's 13 years or older with NO title needed!

I have registered cars that had been off the road for 30 years and not registered- no questions asked..

Note to self... Don't buy any possible Katrina flood cars with clean GA titles.

I'm not sure if thats a good or bad policy, but it sure is convenient.

I say buy the car an throw her up on ebay. I wouldn't be surprised if the hardtop was worth $1800. One of my best friends has a Pre-A, and I can't believe what he pays for some stuff.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Aug 9 2006, 10:30 AM
Post #54

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587

If you do painstakingly restore it into a concours show car... Stay away from railroad tracks!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Dominic
post Aug 9 2006, 11:34 AM
Post #55

Dominic

Member No.: 149
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 8 2006, 06:27 PM) *

Hey guys! My dad just went to pick up a 914 today, and when he was there he spotted a 356 out in the field. It was a 1958 cabriolet with a hardtop (I thought that was a really rare option). It was complete with the original engine (not in car, but complete). The car needs floor pans and rockers, but is otherwise solid. The guy only wanted $1800 for it...which I thought was cheap, but wanted to ask you guys first. Let me know. Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If this was actually in a field for some time I'm sure that more than just the floors and rockers are gone......look real hard under the car, battery box up front, and in the engine compartment. Don't forget the leaded fender seams, yes they used lead before bondo was invented.

With that said it's still worth the $$. Buy it now! It will be worth a shit load of $$ in the future.

I just flipped a 68' 911S that I found and it was rusted to hell, yet someone over in the U.K. wanted to restore it. It seems that the early 911S is the next 356 when it comes to rare Porsches.

Good luck and show us some pics of this find. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
/L.
post Aug 9 2006, 11:39 AM
Post #56

NICE 914

Member No.: 2,392
Region Association: Southern California

OH MY GOD!! 356's were my favorite car until they got out of my price range. I had a '65 sunroof 356. It was beautiful but my ex-boyfriend always told me "Do not love a car!" and he sold it with a few other cars and motorcycle and bought a house in Laguna Nigel ( a very uppedie place in SoCal) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) . But anyway $1800 for a 356 and ALL parts are there is a great deal. And only because you can fix it and sell it for ALOT mo money. A coverible with a hard top is worth lots. If I'm not mistaken they go for about $ 40k now. Done of course. Those cars are fun to drive but nothing like the 914 but a geat car. I hope you take an opportunity like this and make a nice little ride for yourself. OK it may take alot of money to restore but what doesn't? If anything sell it part by part and that would give you some bucks for your 914 to be finished. If you have any questions pm me, I'd be more than happy to talk with you again. I promise I'll keep it clean (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
Good Luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post Aug 9 2006, 11:47 AM
Post #57

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

Member No.: 898

Just a reminder. Linda's car took best 4 at the WCC.
:PERMAGRI8N: Joe
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Aug 9 2006, 11:57 AM
Post #58

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

[quote name='boxstr' date='Aug 9 2006, 08:46 AM' post='748397']
Grassopper Buy it put it in the barn or garage and sit on it for a few years. When the time comes either resore it or sell it, you will have fun and make a little $$ doing it.
CCLINGOFORIT
[/quote]

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

This guy comes home from his first visit to the Pomona swapmeet. He's got an old rusty hubcap in his hand, and he's so excited he can hardly stand still. His wife calms him down enough to talk, and asks him what he's got there. "It's a hubcap", he says, "from a 72 914!" "What ever are you gonna do with THAT?", she asks. "You don't HAVE a 914." "I'm gonna restore the car!", he replies.

The Cap'n
[/quote]

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

[quote name='grasshopperSR' date='Aug 9 2006, 09:17 AM' post='748416']

[/quote]

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif) Watchout, dad's home. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I'd probably buy it, and stuff it in a garage, not spend any additional money on it for now. Hone my rebuilding skills first on the 914, after he starts his new job, he may have help from the shop to make it into a nice car.

I think back to some of the cars that "got away" and really wished I had just bought them and waited for the right time to do something with them.

I think it's great that Sr. Grasshopper is taking an interest in what Jr's doing, I have some very fond memories of me and my dad working on my first car.

Jr, you are very lucky. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Aug 9 2006, 12:01 PM
Post #59

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(grasshopperSR @ Aug 9 2006, 09:17 AM) *

Good deal....

Buy it , stick it in the garage and see what happens....worst case is a "B" and you will sell it and double your $$'s (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
GTeener
post Aug 9 2006, 12:03 PM
Post #60

914 Girl

Member No.: 2,249
Region Association: Northern California

Uncanny timing...

A co-worker just came to me this morning asking me if I knew anyone interested in a bunch of early model factory part books with exploded illustrations and part numbers for a bunch of Porsche models, 356's being amonst them. I think he said one was even still in plastic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

Anyone interested in buying these? He said he'd put them on EBay soon.

Contact Corey Rolin [RolinCD@snapon.com]
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 03:21 AM