Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> air cleaners
bugsy0
post Aug 11 2006, 02:31 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,508
Region Association: None

Greetings all. I'm new to this 914 thing, just acquired a '71 and would like to save the original oil bath air filter but install a better flowing, paper element or other. Any suggestions? The engine is entirely stock w/ original d jetronic FI and runs well.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ejm
post Aug 11 2006, 04:35 AM
Post #2

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Member No.: 224

The oil bath will flow all the air a stock engine needs and filter better than any of the cone filters. You could switch to the paper filter housing the later 1.7's used but the filters can be hard to find. Do a search, there was just a thread on this.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bugsy0
post Aug 11 2006, 07:45 AM
Post #3

Thanks - I just noticed how _accessible_ everything was once I removed the original air cleaner and mounting bracket and thought it would be nice if I had a paper filter mounted off to the side somewhere so I could get at things w/o having to remove the air cleaner. Could just be my excitement at having this "new" little scooter-car to work on though...
+Quote Post
swl
post Aug 11 2006, 08:09 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

If you have a solid D-Jet your head isn't going to be in the engine bay very often.

Not to worry - there are lots and lots of other things to work on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Brake upgrades, 5 lug conversions, suspension mods ...
+Quote Post
bugsy0
post Aug 11 2006, 09:09 AM
Post #5

FI is solid I think. Though it did quit on me last week waaay far from home - turned out to be a failed head temp sensor. I replaced this with a variable resistor between the lead to the ECU and ground, which I've "tuned" until the new sensor arrives from Pelican. A friend of mine had a cute idea - said after I install new head temp sensor, add an electrical switch to be able to switch between it and my potentiometer. That way I could have "economy" and "performance" modes. It's cheezy, I know, and I'll not do it. I really dig this car though.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 09:28 AM