Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: air cleaners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bugsy0
Greetings all. I'm new to this 914 thing, just acquired a '71 and would like to save the original oil bath air filter but install a better flowing, paper element or other. Any suggestions? The engine is entirely stock w/ original d jetronic FI and runs well.
ejm
The oil bath will flow all the air a stock engine needs and filter better than any of the cone filters. You could switch to the paper filter housing the later 1.7's used but the filters can be hard to find. Do a search, there was just a thread on this.

welcome.png
bugsy0
Thanks - I just noticed how _accessible_ everything was once I removed the original air cleaner and mounting bracket and thought it would be nice if I had a paper filter mounted off to the side somewhere so I could get at things w/o having to remove the air cleaner. Could just be my excitement at having this "new" little scooter-car to work on though...
swl
If you have a solid D-Jet your head isn't going to be in the engine bay very often.

Not to worry - there are lots and lots of other things to work on smile.gif

Brake upgrades, 5 lug conversions, suspension mods ...
bugsy0
FI is solid I think. Though it did quit on me last week waaay far from home - turned out to be a failed head temp sensor. I replaced this with a variable resistor between the lead to the ECU and ground, which I've "tuned" until the new sensor arrives from Pelican. A friend of mine had a cute idea - said after I install new head temp sensor, add an electrical switch to be able to switch between it and my potentiometer. That way I could have "economy" and "performance" modes. It's cheezy, I know, and I'll not do it. I really dig this car though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.