Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Original/refurbished-to-original interiors, All years
Bleyseng
post Sep 30 2006, 09:30 AM
Post #21

Aircooled Baby!

Group: Members
Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Yep, the Tan interior is very different in the 75-76 cars but its the same as the tan material for the VW h20 cars.

Lots of plaids are being made now for the VW crowd so some are very similar to what was made for our 75-76 cars.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914runnow
post Sep 30 2006, 11:05 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 1,948
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 30 2006, 07:30 AM) *

Yep, the Tan interior is very different in the 75-76 cars but its the same as the tan material for the VW h20 cars.

Lots of plaids are being made now for the VW crowd so some are very similar to what was made for our 75-76 cars.

Whoa Thanx For the Info!!!!
Gottah a source or Info??
+Quote Post
sixerdon
post Oct 2 2006, 07:43 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 731

Here's something new I learned this weekend. Moving parts around inside my '76 parts car, I noticed that the face plate for the 3 center gauges was plastic. It has that pebble finish like the head light surrounds. Never noticed that before since my sixes both have smooth flat black metal. So, the '70/'71's are metal and the '75/'76's are plastic. What about the middle years? When was the change?

Don
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Oct 3 2006, 07:23 PM
Post #24

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(sixerdon @ Oct 2 2006, 09:43 PM) *

Here's something new I learned this weekend. Moving parts around inside my '76 parts car, I noticed that the face plate for the 3 center gauges was plastic. It has that pebble finish like the head light surrounds. Never noticed that before since my sixes both have smooth flat black metal. So, the '70/'71's are metal and the '75/'76's are plastic. What about the middle years? When was the change?

Don

Hey Don - pics?

My late '72 is pure, smooth metal.
+Quote Post
sixerdon
post Oct 3 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 3 2006, 05:23 PM) *

QUOTE(sixerdon @ Oct 2 2006, 09:43 PM) *

Don

Hey Don - pics?

My late '72 is pure, smooth metal.

Pat,
Sorry no pics. They wouldn't show anything anyway. Seems to be the same dimensional design, just plastic......with black screws instead of chrome plated ones. Now someone needs to confirm '73/'74.

Don
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Oct 4 2006, 10:36 AM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

I'll add two pics, first is my 74, it now has a perfect orig shift knob, and a prototipo wheel, notice the green defrost switch.

Second is dash of a 71 914-6 i'm selling, thanks to 914runnrow it has the becker grand prix radio

Ferg (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Oct 4 2006, 07:00 PM
Post #27

Here's what I can tell you with surety. My '72 is a late (July) production 1.7, with retractable belts & the Bilstein jack, The guage console is flate black metal, with black screws. I am the original owner, so none of this has been changed.

Really interested in hearing about the plastic replacement for the main guage console.

We're always learning here, aren't we?
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Oct 5 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #28

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

99% certain the 75s had the plastic dash gage frame too, the 1975 914 I parted did. The California cars also had EGR and CAT lights mounted to the frame too.

All 914s through 1974 had the flat black metal dash gage frame.

Mike, that sixers air vent controls look like they are euro (no text). I don't know the sixers, are they all that way?
+Quote Post
tod914
post Oct 6 2006, 06:56 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

My 75 has the plastic dash as well. 12/74 production date. I'll get some pictures together this weekend, weather permitting.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Oct 6 2006, 09:35 AM
Post #30

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 5 2006, 08:41 PM) *

99% certain the 75s had the plastic dash gage frame too, the 1975 914 I parted did. The California cars also had EGR and CAT lights mounted to the frame too.

Mike, that sixers air vent controls look like they are euro (no text). I don't know the sixers, are they all that way?

good question on the sixer... I don't know either. It's a 71, and has markers so I doubt the car was/is euro.

Ferg
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 6 2006, 06:44 PM
Post #31

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

mine now with the black interior and black leather seats.

Now if I could just get Ferg to come over and detail my car.......

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixerdon
post Oct 7 2006, 07:00 AM
Post #32

QUOTE(Ferg @ Oct 6 2006, 07:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 5 2006, 08:41 PM) *

good question on the sixer... I don't know either. It's a 71, and has markers so I doubt the car was/is euro.

Ferg

The air vent controls had no text on all models from '70 through '72. '73 was the 1st year. I guess they figured new owners would read their manual. Even today a lot of people don't know how to adjust them.

Don
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Oct 7 2006, 09:57 AM
Post #33

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

The air vent controls had no text on all models from '70 through '72.

Sure about that?

Here is Pats 72 air coontrol with text and an air control from a european 914 below

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
sixerdon
post Oct 7 2006, 11:17 AM
Post #34

Interesting. My '71 parts car or the sixes don't have text. I believe Pat's is a late MY '72 (step in here Pat) Check Johnson's book, factory brochures, they don't show text. Check owners manual. I'll check my friends '72. So the change out could be sometime late MY '72.

Don
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Oct 7 2006, 06:57 PM
Post #35

QUOTE(sixerdon @ Oct 7 2006, 01:17 PM) *

Interesting. My '71 parts car or the sixes don't have text. I believe Pat's is a late MY '72 (step in here Pat) Check Johnson's book, factory brochures, they don't show text. Check owners manual. I'll check my friends '72. So the change out could be sometime late MY '72.

Don

Sorry Don - bought my 72 new from Classic Porsche-Audi, in Cincinnati, August 1972.

I hate to say it, but Brett Johnson's book has numerous errors in it for the early cars. Hate to say it, because I consider it still a valuable resource. Not as valuable as this group, but for newbies.

Remeber, there were several mid-year changes in '72, including the new jack & seat belts.
+Quote Post
sixerdon
post Oct 7 2006, 07:50 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 7 2006, 04:57 PM) *

Don

Sorry Don - bought my 72 new from Classic Porsche-Audi, in Cincinnati, August 1972.

I hate to say it, but Brett Johnson's book has numerous errors in it for the early cars. Hate to say it, because I consider it still a valuable resource. Not as valuable as this group, but for newbies.

Remeber, there were several mid-year changes in '72, including the new jack & seat belts.

Pat, I think that is what I stated. You have a late "model year '72", correct? August delivery is late and '73 MY production had begun. If your last 5 vin digets are "18725", that puts your production as what,...May or June '72? My friend has a '72 with "19828" and he has the "text" on his controls. I think we've agreed before that the Johnson book is not entirely accurate and by posting these questions on this forum will help clear up these irregularitys. As you stated there were several mid-year (or later) changes in '72. Maybe the control "text" was one of them. Let's see if some owners of early '72's can step up and help fill in the blanks. I find all this fascinating.

Don
+Quote Post
tod914
post Oct 9 2006, 11:53 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Interior 1975

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tod914
post Oct 9 2006, 12:01 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Interior 1975

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Oct 9 2006, 06:47 PM
Post #39

QUOTE(tod914 @ Oct 9 2006, 02:01 PM) *

Interior 1975

Attached Image

VERY nice car Tod!

Just curious, though......(what made you chose the white rivets? - not that I don't like them). You are thr "rocker rivet king" - shouldn't you have tried for gold?
Pat
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Oct 9 2006, 07:03 PM
Post #40

QUOTE(sixerdon @ Oct 7 2006, 09:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 7 2006, 04:57 PM) *

Don

Pat, I think that is what I stated. You have a late "model year '72", correct? August delivery is late and '73 MY production had begun. If your last 5 vin digets are "18725", that puts your production as what,...May or June '72? My friend has a '72 with "19828" and he has the "text" on his controls. I think we've agreed before that the Johnson book is not entirely accurate and by posting these questions on this forum will help clear up these irregularitys. As you stated there were several mid-year (or later) changes in '72. Maybe the control "text" was one of them. Let's see if some owners of early '72's can step up and help fill in the blanks. I find all this fascinating.

Don

Hey Don!

You're right. It was still a moving target even in '72. My appearance group car was made in June & delivered in August. I was so excited it took me 2 weeks to realize that the car had 4.5 inch wheels & 155 tires on it! Took it back in September for the 600 mile oil change (they still used break-in oil then) & told them about it. They told me I was right, but didn't have any 5.5 inch wheel laying around. Then they told me that the first of the "914S" ( 2 cars) had arrived and for $100 I could swap to the Fuchs wheels on one of them. Hate to say it, but I didn't like them at the time (&would never be able to explain it today), so the ordered a set of 165's & chrome wheels for me at no charge...AND threw in a Bursch exhaust, which ultimately ruined my "snowplow" rear valence.

Bought & restored a proper set of painted whells some 15 years later, but still have the chromies. They are still my favorite, though not factory. I switch as the need arises.

Yep, it was still a moving target even in late '72.

Pat
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:13 AM