Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original/refurbished-to-original interiors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Pat Garvey
The diff's between model year interiors were minimal, so let's place photos of all of them here. Someone start! Early years - let's see the passenger footrest.
Pat Garvey
sad.gif
OK.....we've gone a week w/no response from any of you. I was really hoping for a 70-71 black or brown interior first, so we could see the differences, but I guess you're all on vacation? Or, don't give a sh_t.

With that in mind, here's a '72 original interior - left-to-right first.
Pat Garvey
Click to view attachmentNext,

....."mousefuzz" headliner & moveable passenger seat pics
Pat Garvey
Finally - view from the right, Blaupunkt Frankfurt, maintenance records &......OT stablemate
Bleyseng
My 76 with a six combo gauge, Momo and the wrong color carpet. Everything else is stock.
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 11 2006, 03:03 PM) *

The diff's between model year interiors were minimal, so let's place photos of all of them here. Someone start! Early years - let's see the passenger footrest.

Hey there Mr Pat....
Uhmmmm there were a ton of differences in color.....
seat inserts....
Types of carpet and weave
and vinyl used too..
Also the thickness and styles of the vinyl...
Maybe I am not getting your gist above...
Please enlighten me..Thanx Rx
PS your car looks awesome!!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ Aug 24 2006, 12:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 11 2006, 03:03 PM) *

Hey there Mr Pat....
Uhmmmm there were a ton of differences in color.....
seat inserts....
Types of carpet and weave
and vinyl used too..
Also the thickness and styles of the vinyl...
Maybe I am not getting your gist above...
Please enlighten me..Thanx Rx
PS your car looks awesome!!

You are absolutely right! The more I think about, the more things I can come up with that WERE different in the various interiors. Don't know how we can show something like vartiations in thickness of vinyl, but can sure show things like footrests, consoles, knobs and those plaid interiors of the late models.

I hope we get to see all those & more right here!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 23 2006, 11:04 AM) *

My 76 with a six combo gauge, Momo and the wrong color carpet. Everything else is stock.

Great color combination!
ChicagoPete
Pat, I posted the picture of my 914/6 engine in one of your previous threads...not original to factory standards, but...again here is another few pictures for your new topic.

An interior refinished to concours, yes an original 914/6 but, to GT concours

Peter
RustyWa
Not mine, but a beautiful '74.

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ChicagoPete @ Aug 24 2006, 04:41 PM) *

Pat, I posted the picture of my 914/6 engine in one of your previous threads...not original to factory standards, but...again here is another few pictures for your new topic.

An interior refinished to concours, yes an original 914/6 but, to GT concours

Peter

Peter,

Lust, lust lust! Gorgeous!

I am NOT an expert on GT's, but tell us about the steering wheel( & anything else we should know).
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(RustyWa @ Aug 25 2006, 01:16 AM) *

Not mine, but a beautiful '74.

Jeez! Who's 914 is that? It's beautiful!
Bleyseng
Eric, don't you have any pics of the Green 75's interior???
RustyWa
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 26 2006, 08:49 AM) *

Eric, don't you have any pics of the Green 75's interior???

I have a few photos but, for some reason, none of them ever did the interior justice. Here's one. The interior is much better looking than this in my opinion. The blacks are much blacker, and the carpet is darker.

Not sure if you noticed, but the car is for sale again.
Toast
I just ordered yellow plaid material for my seats. I will post before pix on Monday, and after pics when finished.....pobably in a week or two. I do not believe that the blue/black checkered seat cusions were the originals in my 73 yellow (duh), but they are pretty worn.
Maybe someone here can identify what year/color sceme they were for. idea.gif

Also, I know of someone who has a blue/yellow/white checkered in a cream 70 914. I'll try to get a pic of that one too.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Except for the A/M steering wheel, original '70/4, delivered w/o tethered footrest. Pat, do I get extra credit for having "original" dash material coming loose from "original" factory adhesive? piratenanner.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 13 2006, 05:36 PM) *

Except for the A/M steering wheel, original '70/4, delivered w/o tethered footrest. Pat, do I get extra credit for having "original" dash material coming loose from "original" factory adhesive? piratenanner.gif

Paul,
Nein, nein nein. Unless you the certificate of authenticity for the glue! Else, how do we know it's not a bag Gorilla Glue job?
914runnow
QUOTE(Toast @ Aug 26 2006, 09:09 PM) *

I just ordered yellow plaid material for my seats. I will post before pix on Monday, and after pics when finished.....pobably in a week or two. I do not believe that the blue/black checkered seat cusions were the originals in my 73 yellow (duh), but they are pretty worn.

Also, I know of someone who has a blue/yellow/white checkered in a cream 70 914. I'll try to get a pic of that one too.

I have the dealer 71-72-73-74-75 interior charts..
72 thru 74....all had the perf leatherette BASKET WEAVE (vinyl)
OR corduory seat inlays in beige/brown/black...70/71 were different..Solid
in the leatherette..As too were the door panels..
The bolsters etc. ..were ALL leatherette (vinyl) to match
the other colors...NOTE that 70 and 71 had had the thickest vinyl..
AND had more of an 'elephant ear' type of grain to it..
BTW..Needle Loom is the proper factory term for what we all
call Perlon...Big Diff came in 74 on the seats with the heat seam as opposed to the sewn seam on the inlays..
75 saw the crazy Tartan inlays and White available!!
BTW the vinyl thru out, got much thinner in 75 and 76..
AND the Beige color was a few shades to the orangish/brown type
of tone...Also with the thinner vinyl came 'grain' differences too...yepperz tons of differences...that above is just a small portion..
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ Sep 18 2006, 12:44 AM) *

call Perlon...Big Diff came in 74 on the seats with the heat seam as opposed to the sewn seam on the inlays..
of tone...Also with the thinner vinyl came 'grain' differences too...yepperz tons of differences...that above is just a small portion..

I thought I was the onlt one who noticed that the vinyl got thinner though the years! Thought it was my imagination.
Suspect that they thought thinner felt more like leather, but who am I?
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 20 2006, 05:59 PM) *

QUOTE(914runnow @ Sep 18 2006, 12:44 AM) *

I thought I was the onlt one who noticed that the vinyl got thinner though the years! Thought it was my imagination.
Suspect that they thought thinner felt more like leather, but who am I?

#1-Thanx for the reply..
Seems I have been one of the few out here lately....
Nope and yepperz.....
Nope= your imagination on the thickness is correct...
Saw the door panels loose Q/C and less parts and material..
Big one in 75 was the PLASTIC bottom 'pocket on the psngr side'..
But they went to cheap one time use door panel clips and
no more xtra weather /moisture seal on the door panel..
they painted 'black' where the vinyl overlays are covering
parts of the tunnel and x member seat tilt catch bar support..
AND THE BIG ONE THAT BURNS ME IS THE DASH FACE MATERIAL
WAS REALLY THIN JUNK......
OKAY you 75 76 owners want to hog tie me..
Just a note..I am restoring a 1.8 75....for myself..
I just am the messenger...not the mfr....
I save pcs of material out of the cars I lay to rest..
Nothin like taking a retractable knife to a 914 interior that is shot..
Trust me it took a while to get up the gumption to do that..
When you have 8 or so seats around ...
SUMPINS GOTTAH GO...
OH>>>>>I am gonnah start a new subject...
Bleyseng
Yep, the Tan interior is very different in the 75-76 cars but its the same as the tan material for the VW h20 cars.

Lots of plaids are being made now for the VW crowd so some are very similar to what was made for our 75-76 cars.
914runnow
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 30 2006, 07:30 AM) *

Yep, the Tan interior is very different in the 75-76 cars but its the same as the tan material for the VW h20 cars.

Lots of plaids are being made now for the VW crowd so some are very similar to what was made for our 75-76 cars.

Whoa Thanx For the Info!!!!
Gottah a source or Info??
sixerdon
Here's something new I learned this weekend. Moving parts around inside my '76 parts car, I noticed that the face plate for the 3 center gauges was plastic. It has that pebble finish like the head light surrounds. Never noticed that before since my sixes both have smooth flat black metal. So, the '70/'71's are metal and the '75/'76's are plastic. What about the middle years? When was the change?

Don
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Oct 2 2006, 09:43 PM) *

Here's something new I learned this weekend. Moving parts around inside my '76 parts car, I noticed that the face plate for the 3 center gauges was plastic. It has that pebble finish like the head light surrounds. Never noticed that before since my sixes both have smooth flat black metal. So, the '70/'71's are metal and the '75/'76's are plastic. What about the middle years? When was the change?

Don

Hey Don - pics?

My late '72 is pure, smooth metal.
sixerdon
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 3 2006, 05:23 PM) *

QUOTE(sixerdon @ Oct 2 2006, 09:43 PM) *

Don

Hey Don - pics?

My late '72 is pure, smooth metal.

Pat,
Sorry no pics. They wouldn't show anything anyway. Seems to be the same dimensional design, just plastic......with black screws instead of chrome plated ones. Now someone needs to confirm '73/'74.

Don
Ferg
I'll add two pics, first is my 74, it now has a perfect orig shift knob, and a prototipo wheel, notice the green defrost switch.

Second is dash of a 71 914-6 i'm selling, thanks to 914runnrow it has the becker grand prix radio

Ferg beer.gif
Pat Garvey
Here's what I can tell you with surety. My '72 is a late (July) production 1.7, with retractable belts & the Bilstein jack, The guage console is flate black metal, with black screws. I am the original owner, so none of this has been changed.

Really interested in hearing about the plastic replacement for the main guage console.

We're always learning here, aren't we?
JeffBowlsby
99% certain the 75s had the plastic dash gage frame too, the 1975 914 I parted did. The California cars also had EGR and CAT lights mounted to the frame too.

All 914s through 1974 had the flat black metal dash gage frame.

Mike, that sixers air vent controls look like they are euro (no text). I don't know the sixers, are they all that way?
tod914
My 75 has the plastic dash as well. 12/74 production date. I'll get some pictures together this weekend, weather permitting.
Ferg
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 5 2006, 08:41 PM) *

99% certain the 75s had the plastic dash gage frame too, the 1975 914 I parted did. The California cars also had EGR and CAT lights mounted to the frame too.

Mike, that sixers air vent controls look like they are euro (no text). I don't know the sixers, are they all that way?

good question on the sixer... I don't know either. It's a 71, and has markers so I doubt the car was/is euro.

Ferg
Bleyseng
mine now with the black interior and black leather seats.

Now if I could just get Ferg to come over and detail my car.......
sixerdon
QUOTE(Ferg @ Oct 6 2006, 07:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 5 2006, 08:41 PM) *

good question on the sixer... I don't know either. It's a 71, and has markers so I doubt the car was/is euro.

Ferg

The air vent controls had no text on all models from '70 through '72. '73 was the 1st year. I guess they figured new owners would read their manual. Even today a lot of people don't know how to adjust them.

Don
JeffBowlsby
The air vent controls had no text on all models from '70 through '72.

Sure about that?

Here is Pats 72 air coontrol with text and an air control from a european 914 below
sixerdon
Interesting. My '71 parts car or the sixes don't have text. I believe Pat's is a late MY '72 (step in here Pat) Check Johnson's book, factory brochures, they don't show text. Check owners manual. I'll check my friends '72. So the change out could be sometime late MY '72.

Don
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Oct 7 2006, 01:17 PM) *

Interesting. My '71 parts car or the sixes don't have text. I believe Pat's is a late MY '72 (step in here Pat) Check Johnson's book, factory brochures, they don't show text. Check owners manual. I'll check my friends '72. So the change out could be sometime late MY '72.

Don

Sorry Don - bought my 72 new from Classic Porsche-Audi, in Cincinnati, August 1972.

I hate to say it, but Brett Johnson's book has numerous errors in it for the early cars. Hate to say it, because I consider it still a valuable resource. Not as valuable as this group, but for newbies.

Remeber, there were several mid-year changes in '72, including the new jack & seat belts.
sixerdon
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 7 2006, 04:57 PM) *

Don

Sorry Don - bought my 72 new from Classic Porsche-Audi, in Cincinnati, August 1972.

I hate to say it, but Brett Johnson's book has numerous errors in it for the early cars. Hate to say it, because I consider it still a valuable resource. Not as valuable as this group, but for newbies.

Remeber, there were several mid-year changes in '72, including the new jack & seat belts.

Pat, I think that is what I stated. You have a late "model year '72", correct? August delivery is late and '73 MY production had begun. If your last 5 vin digets are "18725", that puts your production as what,...May or June '72? My friend has a '72 with "19828" and he has the "text" on his controls. I think we've agreed before that the Johnson book is not entirely accurate and by posting these questions on this forum will help clear up these irregularitys. As you stated there were several mid-year (or later) changes in '72. Maybe the control "text" was one of them. Let's see if some owners of early '72's can step up and help fill in the blanks. I find all this fascinating.

Don
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Oct 9 2006, 02:01 PM) *

VERY nice car Tod!

Just curious, though......(what made you chose the white rivets? - not that I don't like them). You are thr "rocker rivet king" - shouldn't you have tried for gold?
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Oct 7 2006, 09:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 7 2006, 04:57 PM) *

Don

Pat, I think that is what I stated. You have a late "model year '72", correct? August delivery is late and '73 MY production had begun. If your last 5 vin digets are "18725", that puts your production as what,...May or June '72? My friend has a '72 with "19828" and he has the "text" on his controls. I think we've agreed before that the Johnson book is not entirely accurate and by posting these questions on this forum will help clear up these irregularitys. As you stated there were several mid-year (or later) changes in '72. Maybe the control "text" was one of them. Let's see if some owners of early '72's can step up and help fill in the blanks. I find all this fascinating.

Don

Hey Don!

You're right. It was still a moving target even in '72. My appearance group car was made in June & delivered in August. I was so excited it took me 2 weeks to realize that the car had 4.5 inch wheels & 155 tires on it! Took it back in September for the 600 mile oil change (they still used break-in oil then) & told them about it. They told me I was right, but didn't have any 5.5 inch wheel laying around. Then they told me that the first of the "914S" ( 2 cars) had arrived and for $100 I could swap to the Fuchs wheels on one of them. Hate to say it, but I didn't like them at the time (&would never be able to explain it today), so the ordered a set of 165's & chrome wheels for me at no charge...AND threw in a Bursch exhaust, which ultimately ruined my "snowplow" rear valence.

Bought & restored a proper set of painted whells some 15 years later, but still have the chromies. They are still my favorite, though not factory. I switch as the need arises.

Yep, it was still a moving target even in late '72.

Pat
tod914
You know Pat, I went with the white cause that's what the car had. I later came to realize after Don posted, 75-76 had the metal rivets in the outrockers. Dave Cheeks car also has the metal (1 owner car). Certianly not doing another rivet hunt thats for sure to find the metal ones. Seems to look ok for now. I'll pass the royal rivet septor to someone else if they want to find a metal match lol.
Bleyseng
sweet car, Tod.

How come you have a Green fog lite switch?

I switched out mine....cuz the green one is less brite when its on.
tod914
Thanks Geoff. Spent alot of hours cleaning it. Had most of it out at one point to get to things easier. I repainted the seat handles, that black bar under the seats, and a trim peice behind the drivers seat. I have a yellow light somewhere. I should probally put it in like you did. The green is definetly too bright. Your orange car looks nice as well. Hows the 2.1 motor? Alot more punch over stock?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Oct 9 2006, 11:45 PM) *

You know Pat, I went with the white cause that's what the car had. I later came to realize after Don posted, 75-76 had the metal rivets in the outrockers. Dave Cheeks car also has the metal (1 owner car). Certianly not doing another rivet hunt thats for sure to find the metal ones. Seems to look ok for now. I'll pass the royal rivet septor to someone else if they want to find a metal match lol.

Tod,
I, for one, thank you sincerly for your rivet endeavors. They worked perfectly with no trimming. You da' man! Down the road, owners are going to lament not stocking up on these!

The metal ones shouldn't be too difficult. And, if they're not metric who could tell the diff?
Bleyseng
QUOTE(tod914 @ Oct 10 2006, 07:27 AM) *

Hows the 2.1 motor? Alot more punch over stock?

Yes, alot more plus the shorter 3rd & 4th gears make for spirited driving.
Greg808
here is a pic from a 1975 that sold on e-bay a few months ago smoke.gif
Greg808
another photo of that 75 cool_shades.gif
74Bumblebee
I have a '74 Bumblebee and want to reinstall the orginial AM/FM radio. The dash opening was cut bigger to accept an after market CD player. Are there any type of original dash plates or faces that might have been cut out to make the opening bigger? The following link shows dash with after market CD player installed.
Thanks for any info and help.
Bill

http://home.comcast.net/~carreraguy/wsb/ht...ID-3008514.html
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(74Bumblebee @ Nov 7 2006, 10:42 PM) *

I have a '74 Bumblebee and want to reinstall the orginial AM/FM radio. The dash opening was cut bigger to accept an after market CD player. Are there any type of original dash plates or faces that might have been cut out to make the opening bigger? The following link shows dash with after market CD player installed.
Thanks for any info and help.
Bill

http://home.comcast.net/~carreraguy/wsb/ht...ID-3008514.html

I'm a little confused here! You want to reinstall the original radio, right?

The dash opening was cut LARGER so the aftermarket unit could be installed...

I think you want to make the opening smaller, not larger. There are a number of faceplates that show up on Ebay, which should work. You can't make the current one smaller, so look inot that.

Or else, I'm missing something here.....
74Bumblebee
Sorry for the confusion, kinda new here. Yes I want to reinstall the orginal radio, and the dash was cut larger. I do want to make the opening smaller. I'll check out Ebay. Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.