Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original/refurbished-to-original interiors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
mills914/s
My 72 I just bought. To bad the previous owner glued all carpet down with gorilla glue. Last weekend I had to get rid of that steering wheel. and put on a factory one. I just cant drive right with that little wheel.
rhodyguy
what do we know about these seats?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 8 2007, 01:31 PM) *

what do we know about these seats?

OK, I'll step out on a limb here.

They ain't factory (though they're nice). The poster before you had nice seats but with non-factory piping on them (& they looked nice too).

So, what's your drift?
rhodyguy
drift? never on wet roads. wink.gif the perfect door panels hole sawed for a set of stupid speakers was sad.

k
mills914/s
QUOTE(mills914/s @ Jan 7 2007, 07:06 AM) *

My 72 I just bought. To bad the previous owner glued all carpet down with gorilla glue. Last weekend I had to get rid of that steering wheel. and put on a factory one. I just cant drive right with that little wheel.
The Car came with this weird silver pipping on the seats (non original)but it kinda matches the car and looks ok I guess ..The car was just painted silver
Johny Blackstain
original 74 "Cinnamon Leatherette" interior on a LE. cool_shades.gif
Johny Blackstain
another view
Johny Blackstain
yet another
Johny Blackstain
& another.
Johny Blackstain
& 1 more. cool_shades.gif
type4org
I noticed a terrible oversight.

THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PLAID!

Well, here it is, from my all-original (except for the oddball radio/CB radio combo) '76. Applying some plastic treatment to the panels and using a flash conspired against me in some of these shots.

PLAID!

Click to view attachment

Here's the seats from both sides:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

type4org
Here's the door panels:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

type4org
Dashboard area, first a full shot:

Click to view attachment

Here's a closer look at the center console (the car has the appearance group package):

Click to view attachment

Here's a look at the CB radio and the stereo. The first owner had this conversion put in in the late seventies, together with an electrical antenna and an amp munted to the board on top of the spare tire in the front trunk. A very professional and nice install, and even though I received the original Becker Mexico Cassette in a box with the car I kept the Motorola in because it's such an interesting period "upgrade":

Click to view attachment

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(type4org @ Jan 11 2007, 03:24 PM) *

I noticed a terrible oversight.

THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PLAID!

Well, here it is, from my all-original (except for the oddball radio/CB radio combo) '76. Applying some plastic treatment to the panels and using a flash conspired against me in some of these shots.

PLAID!

Click to view attachment

Here's the seats from both sides:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Jens,
Thank you! Someone finally steped foreward for the later cars! Very nice! Out of blatantly "want t know", can we see something of the CB setup in the front trunk? Haven't seen anything like that for many years.
type4org
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 11 2007, 09:22 PM) *

Out of blatantly "want t know", can we see something of the CB setup in the front trunk? Haven't seen anything like that for many years.

Sure, here's some pictures. The setup consists of the Motorola radio with a second box attached underneath it, the handheld receiver/microphone unit, the amp in the front trunk and an electrical antenna. Looking at the wiring it's clear the antenna was put in at the same time as the CB radio. I managed to lose the only "history" item on this setup I had found in the car, the shop's business card that put it in. It was a place in the L.A. area.

I have not tested the setup by trying to listen in on CB radio channels, I have next to no clue about CB radios so I don't even know if the channels are the same in the US and Germany. I know the lights come on when I turn on the CB part with the on/off switch on the handheld unit, and the radio speaker output is cut, presumably switched over to CB radio output. I should try it out the next time I drive the car smile.gif

Here's a better shot of the radio and handheld unit:

Click to view attachment

The receiver/mike turned on:

Click to view attachment

The amp in the trunk, the wiring is done pretty well, and thankfully they did not drill holes through metal for it:

Click to view attachment

The antenna (haven't looked at who made it):

Click to view attachment

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(type4org @ Jan 12 2007, 08:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 11 2007, 09:22 PM) *

Out of blatantly "want t know", can we see something of the CB setup in the front trunk? Haven't seen anything like that for many years.

Sure, here's some pictures. The setup consists of the Motorola radio with a second box attached underneath it, the handheld receiver/microphone unit, the amp in the front trunk and an electrical antenna. Looking at the wiring it's clear the antenna was put in at the same time as the CB radio. I managed to lose the only "history" item on this setup I had found in the car, the shop's business card that put it in. It was a place in the L.A. area.

I have not tested the setup by trying to listen in on CB radio channels, I have next to no clue about CB radios so I don't even know if the channels are the same in the US and Germany. I know the lights come on when I turn on the CB part with the on/off switch on the handheld unit, and the radio speaker output is cut, presumably switched over to CB radio output. I should try it out the next time I drive the car smile.gif

Here's a better shot of the radio and handheld unit:

Click to view attachment

The receiver/mike turned on:

Click to view attachment

The amp in the trunk, the wiring is done pretty well, and thankfully they did not drill holes through metal for it:

Click to view attachment

The antenna (haven't looked at who made it):

Click to view attachment

Jens biggrin.gif ,

Brings back old memories. Didn't put one in the 914, but I DID have one in my '77 924. Was a lot of fun then & I used it a lot on the open road, looking for "smokies". Went by the name "beans" then.

Very clean installation too!
N14
Pat Garvey
Sometime in early '72, 914 interiors went to inertia belts. The Bilstein jack came into play over the old spring-loaded jack, and a few other changes.

Anyone know what production month this changeover occured? My '72 is May production & has the changes, yet my production number is 18725 (which is fairly late).
Pat
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(type4org @ Jan 11 2007, 02:30 PM) *

Dashboard area, first a full shot:

Click to view attachment

Here's a closer look at the center console (the car has the appearance group package):

Click to view attachment

Here's a look at the CB radio and the stereo. The first owner had this conversion put in in the late seventies, together with an electrical antenna and an amp munted to the board on top of the spare tire in the front trunk. A very professional and nice install, and even though I received the original Becker Mexico Cassette in a box with the car I kept the Motorola in because it's such an interesting period "upgrade":

Click to view attachment

Jens...gota tell you, that is one special car....what a beauty.

I could just sit and look at this screen, popcorn[1].gif all night long. Sure beats what's on cable right now..( food network---wifey's fav )

This is my food network.

True Geekdom idea.gif

mrgreenjeans
TJB/914
Here's more plaid seat colors from my archives.

Tom
TJB/914
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Feb 27 2007, 07:08 PM) *

Tom

better pic.
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Feb 27 2007, 11:08 PM) *

Tom

Love the "hermetically sealed" approach on the lower pads. Is this an optional traction device for the butt cheeks ?

Gotta be a little loosey goosey when hanging onto those off camber decreasing radius sweepers...........

This is where its good to have installed das " Hans " device.

Just in case mr happy11.gif comes into play, and those skinny little wobblies give up their ghost and send one careening into the abyss of no return.

The little baggies also doing double duty in retaining the seats O.E. appearance after the racer-striping of one's boxers.............

GREAT color shots on the pics.
jonferns
deleted
jonferns
deleted
1975red914
QUOTE(Toast @ Aug 26 2006, 10:09 PM) *

I just ordered yellow plaid material for my seats. I will post before pix on Monday, and after pics when finished.....pobably in a week or two. I do not believe that the blue/black checkered seat cusions were the originals in my 73 yellow (duh), but they are pretty worn.
Maybe someone here can identify what year/color sceme they were for. idea.gif

Also, I know of someone who has a blue/yellow/white checkered in a cream 70 914. I'll try to get a pic of that one too.

I have found a source today for the plaid seat material and corduroy used on the 914's. Where did you get your yellow plaid from?
1975red914
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 30 2006, 08:30 AM) *

Yep, the Tan interior is very different in the 75-76 cars but its the same as the tan material for the VW h20 cars.

Lots of plaids are being made now for the VW crowd so some are very similar to what was made for our 75-76 cars.

Yes you are correct. Found a source who has the plaids for 914's. Green, orange, red on shelves exactly. Also has the correct black velour spotted that can hot seam the velour.
1975red914
QUOTE(914runnow @ Sep 30 2006, 10:05 AM) *

<!-- quoteo(post=784320:date=Sep 30 2006, 07:30 AM:name=Bleyseng) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 30 2006, 07:30 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- quotec -->
Yep, the Tan interior is very different in the 75-76 cars but its the same as the tan material for the VW h20 cars.

Lots of plaids are being made now for the VW crowd so some are very similar to what was made for our 75-76 cars.
<!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->
Whoa Thanx For the Info!!!!
Gottah a source or Info?

Just found a source today and view the plaids. They are exact matches in green, red and orange. Black velour is also right on. Source told me they can make up yellow. smile.gif
Johny Blackstain
Got back from the ECC today & was overwhealmed that 1/3rd of the Teeners there had Brown interiors. Most were incomplete or had been dyed black, but I did manage to see & shoot this 74 914 inside-
Johny Blackstain
Another 74 Brownie shot-
1975red914
smile.gif The source is in Canby Oregon. SMS Fabrics. Left the company a sizeable deposit for yellow plaid months ago and have heard nothing yet. Time to visit facility and see what delay is. This company is more than capible of making any type of fabric weave and hot seaming it. Yellow plaid is what I commissioned them to do based on an original 76 example. Money is the motivator. So far, no results.

QUOTE(1975red914 @ May 18 2007, 11:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 30 2006, 08:30 AM) *

Yes you are correct. Found a source who has the plaids for 914's. Green, orange, red on shelves exactly. Also has the correct black velour spotted that can hot seam the velour.

gary beck
Im looking for the red or grean tartan cloth for my Porsche.
Can you email me the place I can find some.
Thanks
gary.beck@verizon.net
1970 Neun vierzehn
Gary,

First..... welcome.png

Second, I think that you will get more exposure and probably greater response if you pose your question on the "regular" Originality & History Forum, rather than on the "nailed" threads, which most people use for occasional reference.

Paul
dflesburg
Here are a couple shots of GreatPumpkin's car from 12/69

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dflesburg
notice the additional vent in the center of the dash

the super long shift lever

strange shift knob

no text on heater controls

1970 Neun vierzehn
Can it be, an uncracked dash top in an early 914?! w00t.gif
dflesburg
look closer, there is a crack near the speedo...

very very early car, all original. even has a complete tool kit, jack, etc...
jonferns
anyone have pics of a 74 1.8 nice interior?
1970 Neun vierzehn
J,

Post #10, on page 1 of this thread, has a very nice interior pic of a '74 except that it has an aftermarket stereo in the dash and door mounted speakers installed. I can't imagine that the interior of a 1974 1.8 and a 2.0 are that much different.

Paul
dave29
I've got a 1971 914-6 which I picked up about 5 weeks ago. The c of a shows that the car came with "Black Leatherette/Basket Weave".
The car currently has seats and door panels which are somewhat smooth but have a slight pattern or distress look to them. Back in 1975 I had a 1970 914-6 and I remember the door panels and seat centers being basketweave like the dash face.
Anyone out there have pictures of what my c of a calls for interiot wise?
Thanks
dave29
dave29
How about interior wise!
dave29
1970 Neun vierzehn
Dave,
Attached is a photo from an original '70/4. I'd think your '71/6 would be similar.
I also understand that in 1972, the 914 door panels went from a smooth, leather-like vinyl to the basketweave pattern. If your car was manufactered late in the 1971 production year cycle, I suppose the factory might have finished the door panels as they did for the 1972 model year.
You might pose this question on the main portion of the originality Forum and get a broader range of readers and respondents.
Lastly, wecome to the 914 World welcome.png

Paul
dave29
Paul...thanks for the welcome! I can't tell from the picture but is the door panel smooth with some slight texture or is it just smooth?
dave29
dave29
Paul..one more thing...my 71-6 was the third from the last six made .
dave29
Pat Garvey
Since this is the inerior nailed post section......

Just got an ashtray that has never been used (rarety?). Thought I could use it to replace mine, that has been used - though many, many years ago.

But there is a difference. The fascia on mine (original) is soft vinyl, yet the fascia on the one I bought is rock hard plastic. Did later year 914's switch from soft vinyl to plastic?

Pic's are available, but why? They look the same.
Anyone?
Pat

I looked at them again today(2/14), side-by-side. There are numerous differences! I'll post some pics & see who can note the diff's - to late tonight.
Slider
Pat,

Mines a 1/72 model and it has all of the Late 72 pieces.
with a chassis build of ~January 19 1972

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 19 2007, 07:29 PM) *

Sometime in early '72, 914 interiors went to inertia belts. The Bilstein jack came into play over the old spring-loaded jack, and a few other changes.

Anyone know what production month this changeover occured? My '72 is May production & has the changes, yet my production number is 18725 (which is fairly late).
Pat

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 13 2008, 09:08 PM) *

Since this is the inerior nailed post section......

Just got an ashtray that has never been used (rarety?). Thought I could use it to replace mine, that has been used - though many, many years ago.

But there is a difference. The fascia on mine (original) is soft vinyl, yet the fascia on the one I bought is rock hard plastic. Did later year 914's switch from soft vinyl to plastic?

Pic's are available, but why? They look the same.
Anyone?
Pat

I looked at them again today(2/14), side-by-side. There are numerous differences! I'll post some pics & see who can note the diff's - to late tonight.

OK, here a couple of pics. Who can tell the diff between a 72 & "later" ash tray?
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
An early /6 from the Hershey '05 Parade....
Gustl
#0310 - very original
minndodger
QUOTE(Gustl @ Apr 24 2008, 04:18 PM) *

#0310 - very original

Excuse my ignorance, but what is that item on the passenger floor in front of the seat?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.