Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Haynes 914 Repair Manual, or ANY manual!, Why is this STILL optional with some people?
Please humor me ...
Do you even OWN some type of 914 repair manual, be it factory, Bendix, Clymer, Haynes, or WHATEVER?
I've owned this car so long, each nut, bolt, & wire is microfiched to the inside of my skull. [ 9 ] ** [36.00%]
Everything's tatooed to my forearm for quick & easy reference. [ 3 ] ** [12.00%]
What for? It's not worth any extra points on the Concours d'Elegance. [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Not while my browser can boot up to my 914Club.com home page! [ 7 ] ** [28.00%]
I wouldn't admit it to you even if I don't ... why, is it starting to show? [ 1 ] ** [4.00%]
You mean, there actually ARE repair manuals out there? [ 1 ] ** [4.00%]
I glued all the pages together to test my memory. [ 2 ] ** [8.00%]
$20 better spent on some bling. [ 2 ] ** [8.00%]
Total Votes: 25

Rouser
post Aug 14 2006, 06:45 PM
Post #1

Anti-Post Whore

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 54

I've noticed more and more posts of questions (come on, I'm takin' basic - and some not-so-basic - questions) that are giving away the fact that some of you don't own, or care to own, a repair manual. What's up with that? Please, I'm not talking to you hard-core 914 guys/gals, the ones (I'm raising my hand here) that have enough data littering your hard drive(s), bedrooms, and garages to choke the next WCC.

I'm talking to the ones who ask "certain" questions (I know ... there's no stupid questions blah, blah, blah ...) that us well-heeled/well-worn 914ers can tell are spawned from zero repair literature. "Where's the tranny dipstick? Is it righty-tighty lefty-loosey? Where's the oil/fuel/air filter/pump located? How do you adjust the idle/brakes/seat/mixture/clock?"

You've heard us quote from them often enough, so why not own - at a minumum - at LEAST a Haynes manual before undertaking a repair that might eventually lead you into giving up entirely, selling your 914 (at a significant loss) to one of those hard-cores, who'll promptly repair your "repair" with a $0.50 fuse.

I know, I apologize WAY IN ADVANCE for sounding like an insensitive SOB, but (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) If a simple Haynes manual is way outta yer budget, than you've landed on the WRONG CAR! Go ahead, gimme the skewering I deserve ...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
type47
post Aug 14 2006, 07:11 PM
Post #2

Viermeister

Group: Members
Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

manuals are easy to get and cheap! there is a guy who has the factory manuals online, can't get any better than that. i like the Clymer/Lash manual. but, even with all the manuals, there are still some detail questions. for those, i ask here...
+Quote Post
jimtab
post Aug 14 2006, 07:20 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91
Region Association: Northern California

I've got all of em and still have trouble sometimes....I blame Al Kieda...or maybe Al Rosen... Al Domatta....anyway I blame someone...
+Quote Post
Rouser
post Aug 14 2006, 07:23 PM
Post #4

Anti-Post Whore

QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 14 2006, 09:11 PM) *

... even with all the manuals, there are still some detail questions. for those, i ask here...

And as you absolutely should ask; this forum is a 914 owner's torrential diarrhea of information. But when you need to know EXACTLY where that black/purple wire goes from the coil [Which one? (+) or (-)?] to ...

See? Gotcha ...
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 14 2006, 07:23 PM
Post #5

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

You know in the Haynes book there is a picture that is printed unside down? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Rouser
post Aug 14 2006, 07:26 PM
Post #6

Anti-Post Whore

QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 14 2006, 09:23 PM) *

You know in the Haynes book there is a picture that is printed unside down? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It's like that on-purpose ... so you can see it when laying on your back with a tranny balanced on your chest.

Sheesh ... try harder ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 14 2006, 07:26 PM
Post #7

****************************************************************************************************

Oh, BTW I know a guy that sold off all his 914 stuff but wanted to keep his manual just to read it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
Rouser
post Aug 14 2006, 07:39 PM
Post #8

Anti-Post Whore

QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 14 2006, 09:26 PM) *

Oh, BTW I know a guy that sold off all his 914 stuff but wanted to keep his manual just to read it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Wrong Butt-Chaff, as a memento ... kinda like a high school yearbook.

In the margins are written speed secrets, culled from some of this World's greatest 914 minds, 99% of which I've yet to implement.

I did the one about blowing the dirt out of my air filters ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Aug 14 2006, 07:42 PM
Post #9

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

I totally understand what your saying but (you knew that was coming didn't you)

I have known people that really wanted to wrench there own cars, but couldn't

do it . Not that they were not smart, they were, they just could not see in their

minds eye what the manual is saying, so I would take them by the hand and they

would end up fixing it themselves. I found in building that there are sub

contractors that could not read blueprints in three dementions. It's not that they

were dumb they just...couldn't...see it.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 14 2006, 07:42 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

"how do I remove the starter??

Page 122, section 10....

How hard is to read 2 sentences that explain how to remove it and where the bolts are...and they still cannot figure it out...should be test, if you fail a simple project like that you shouldn't own a 914 if you plan on working on it yourself....

+Quote Post
markb
post Aug 14 2006, 07:51 PM
Post #11

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

Before my first 914 even landed in my driveway, I called Dave at GPR & ordered the factory manuals. I've since then collected every type I can lay my hands on. Call me anal, but I don't want to have to come into the house, wash my hands before I touch the computer keyboard, then wait for an answer (actually, now I just call the Cap'n, but that's probably considered cheating (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ).
+Quote Post
ws91420
post Aug 14 2006, 07:53 PM
Post #12

Yes I have one a Lensley 914

From: Ruther Glen,VA (halfway between sticks and civilization)
Member No.: 1,137
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

A lot of times the problem I have run into is they say remove part xyz. I knew that part but couldn't see how part xyz was able to be removed.
+Quote Post
Rouser
post Aug 14 2006, 07:53 PM
Post #13

Anti-Post Whore

QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 14 2006, 09:33 PM) *

Uh... Did you know that it takes the average person reading some things three times before they fully understand something?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Anyway, most of the people asking questions like that are new to the club, and will be instantly screamed at to SEARCH! I dont think that is a very friendly way to welcome someone. Anyway, why always be negative about people asking questions?? If they dont have any sort of manual, they will soon know that they need one. If you dont want to read peoples questions, then dont. Is it really that hard? Just defending the newbies out there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

Let me guess ... you don't have a manual, right? I only had to read once how to open the 914's rear engine lid, and that was scribbled on a paper napkin.

Most of the people asking questions like that are new to 914's, period; they just discovered the 914Club and are utilizing its resources.

The Search feature is a tool, along with a 914 repair manual. Just one of the MANY tools the 914 newcomer has to learn to include in his collection, and use often.

Just defending us oldtimers ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Aug 14 2006, 08:03 PM
Post #14

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

We are about the same age but we don't have the same outlook on things.

Old timers? Pahleeeeze, you may bitch like an old timer, but your not.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 14 2006, 08:17 PM
Post #15

Crazy how a light hearted thread can turn so negative. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Rouser
post Aug 14 2006, 08:22 PM
Post #16

Anti-Post Whore

QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 14 2006, 10:03 PM) *

I can say you are right if people NEVER buy a manual and just keep asking question on here, but for some people, pictures speak louder than words. Most Manuals dont document every step, and some of the terms can be confusing for someone new to these cars.

You know, you blathered on about stuff I wasn't even talking about. I didn't ASK how many "I have dissassembles five 914's now", and then you make the cocky-assed statement "I dont even need manuals anymore." Oh, really?

ANY jackass with a 10-19mm boxed-end wrench and socket set can disassemble a whole JUNKYARD FULL of 914's; it takes accumulated knowledge (and HUMILITY) just to keep one (1) 914 going strong. But there are many who won't admit they're flying blind (i.e. haven't purchased a manual), and than get themselves into serious trouble.

THOSE are the ones I'm curious about, and the ones I HOPE will read this thread and order a manual ASAP! Except for YOU, of course; you don't need no stickin' manual.
+Quote Post
Rouser
post Aug 14 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #17

Anti-Post Whore

QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 14 2006, 10:17 PM) *

Crazy how a light hearted thread can turn so negative. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

Yeah, especially when them 914 dismantlers get involved ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Gary#
post Aug 14 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 4,078

QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 14 2006, 06:33 PM) *

Uh... Did you know that it takes the average person reading some things three times before they fully understand something?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Anyway, most of the people asking questions like that are new to the club, and will be instantly screamed at to SEARCH! I dont think that is a very friendly way to welcome someone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif) Anyway, why always be negative about people asking questions?? If they dont have any sort of manual, they will soon know that they need one. If you dont want to read peoples questions, then dont. Is it really that hard? Just defending the newbies out there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

----
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif) EEERRR - not 2 hi-jack but 0 you said "search"... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Maybe it's just me, but when I try to search, I choose "today & earlier", enter a keyword or two, and the search comes back with a bunch or stuff that's not even close, or nothing matched. Is there a "how 2 search" 4 dummiez post? No? Maybe we/I need one.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif) OUT -
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
Rouser
post Aug 14 2006, 08:55 PM
Post #19

Anti-Post Whore

QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 14 2006, 10:43 PM) *
WTF.gif Damn, a little sensitive?? I wasn't try to say ANYTHING negative about you at all. All I was doing was defending the people YOU are bashing. Go to Hell. finger.gif

There, I deleted all my posts. Happy now??? Fuck off.

Just as I suspected ... a no-driver's-license, no-914-owning, snot-nosed CHILD who has the NERVE NOT to mind his own business, and than further damages his non-existant reputation by using big-people's words towards someone he knows absolutely NOTHING about.

And THIS is the individual (i.e. child) who's masterminding the East Coast gathering? Gee, I hope his Dad's going to, so he can see how disrespectful his lil' toddler can be around "real" adults.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Aug 14 2006, 09:04 PM
Post #20

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Well, you're certainly rousing.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:00 PM