Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Haynes 914 Repair Manual, or ANY manual!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Rouser
I've noticed more and more posts of questions (come on, I'm takin' basic - and some not-so-basic - questions) that are giving away the fact that some of you don't own, or care to own, a repair manual. What's up with that? Please, I'm not talking to you hard-core 914 guys/gals, the ones (I'm raising my hand here) that have enough data littering your hard drive(s), bedrooms, and garages to choke the next WCC.

I'm talking to the ones who ask "certain" questions (I know ... there's no stupid questions blah, blah, blah ...) that us well-heeled/well-worn 914ers can tell are spawned from zero repair literature. "Where's the tranny dipstick? Is it righty-tighty lefty-loosey? Where's the oil/fuel/air filter/pump located? How do you adjust the idle/brakes/seat/mixture/clock?"

You've heard us quote from them often enough, so why not own - at a minumum - at LEAST a Haynes manual before undertaking a repair that might eventually lead you into giving up entirely, selling your 914 (at a significant loss) to one of those hard-cores, who'll promptly repair your "repair" with a $0.50 fuse.

I know, I apologize WAY IN ADVANCE for sounding like an insensitive SOB, but WTF.gif If a simple Haynes manual is way outta yer budget, than you've landed on the WRONG CAR! Go ahead, gimme the skewering I deserve ...
type47
manuals are easy to get and cheap! there is a guy who has the factory manuals online, can't get any better than that. i like the Clymer/Lash manual. but, even with all the manuals, there are still some detail questions. for those, i ask here...
jimtab
I've got all of em and still have trouble sometimes....I blame Al Kieda...or maybe Al Rosen... Al Domatta....anyway I blame someone...
Rouser
QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 14 2006, 09:11 PM) *

... even with all the manuals, there are still some detail questions. for those, i ask here...

And as you absolutely should ask; this forum is a 914 owner's torrential diarrhea of information. But when you need to know EXACTLY where that black/purple wire goes from the coil [Which one? (+) or (-)?] to ...

See? Gotcha ...
URY914
You know in the Haynes book there is a picture that is printed unside down? smile.gif

Rouser
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 14 2006, 09:23 PM) *

You know in the Haynes book there is a picture that is printed unside down? smile.gif

It's like that on-purpose ... so you can see it when laying on your back with a tranny balanced on your chest.

Sheesh ... try harder ... biggrin.gif
URY914
Oh, BTW I know a guy that sold off all his 914 stuff but wanted to keep his manual just to read it. happy11.gif w00t.gif huh.gif
Rouser
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 14 2006, 09:26 PM) *

Oh, BTW I know a guy that sold off all his 914 stuff but wanted to keep his manual just to read it. happy11.gif w00t.gif huh.gif

Wrong Butt-Chaff, as a memento ... kinda like a high school yearbook.

In the margins are written speed secrets, culled from some of this World's greatest 914 minds, 99% of which I've yet to implement.

I did the one about blowing the dirt out of my air filters ... dry.gif
So.Cal.914
I totally understand what your saying but (you knew that was coming didn't you)

I have known people that really wanted to wrench there own cars, but couldn't

do it . Not that they were not smart, they were, they just could not see in their

minds eye what the manual is saying, so I would take them by the hand and they

would end up fixing it themselves. I found in building that there are sub

contractors that could not read blueprints in three dementions. It's not that they

were dumb they just...couldn't...see it.
Mueller
"how do I remove the starter??

Page 122, section 10....

How hard is to read 2 sentences that explain how to remove it and where the bolts are...and they still cannot figure it out...should be test, if you fail a simple project like that you shouldn't own a 914 if you plan on working on it yourself....

markb
Before my first 914 even landed in my driveway, I called Dave at GPR & ordered the factory manuals. I've since then collected every type I can lay my hands on. Call me anal, but I don't want to have to come into the house, wash my hands before I touch the computer keyboard, then wait for an answer (actually, now I just call the Cap'n, but that's probably considered cheating biggrin.gif ).
ws91420
A lot of times the problem I have run into is they say remove part xyz. I knew that part but couldn't see how part xyz was able to be removed.
Rouser
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 14 2006, 09:33 PM) *

Uh... Did you know that it takes the average person reading some things three times before they fully understand something?? confused24.gif Anyway, most of the people asking questions like that are new to the club, and will be instantly screamed at to SEARCH! I dont think that is a very friendly way to welcome someone. Anyway, why always be negative about people asking questions?? If they dont have any sort of manual, they will soon know that they need one. If you dont want to read peoples questions, then dont. Is it really that hard? Just defending the newbies out there. flag.gif

Let me guess ... you don't have a manual, right? I only had to read once how to open the 914's rear engine lid, and that was scribbled on a paper napkin.

Most of the people asking questions like that are new to 914's, period; they just discovered the 914Club and are utilizing its resources.

The Search feature is a tool, along with a 914 repair manual. Just one of the MANY tools the 914 newcomer has to learn to include in his collection, and use often.

Just defending us oldtimers ... dead horse.gif
So.Cal.914
We are about the same age but we don't have the same outlook on things.

Old timers? Pahleeeeze, you may bitch like an old timer, but your not.
URY914
Crazy how a light hearted thread can turn so negative. cool_shades.gif
Rouser
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 14 2006, 10:03 PM) *

I can say you are right if people NEVER buy a manual and just keep asking question on here, but for some people, pictures speak louder than words. Most Manuals dont document every step, and some of the terms can be confusing for someone new to these cars.

You know, you blathered on about stuff I wasn't even talking about. I didn't ASK how many "I have dissassembles five 914's now", and then you make the cocky-assed statement "I dont even need manuals anymore." Oh, really?

ANY jackass with a 10-19mm boxed-end wrench and socket set can disassemble a whole JUNKYARD FULL of 914's; it takes accumulated knowledge (and HUMILITY) just to keep one (1) 914 going strong. But there are many who won't admit they're flying blind (i.e. haven't purchased a manual), and than get themselves into serious trouble.

THOSE are the ones I'm curious about, and the ones I HOPE will read this thread and order a manual ASAP! Except for YOU, of course; you don't need no stickin' manual.
Rouser
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 14 2006, 10:17 PM) *

Crazy how a light hearted thread can turn so negative. cool_shades.gif

Yeah, especially when them 914 dismantlers get involved ... rolleyes.gif
Gary#
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 14 2006, 06:33 PM) *

Uh... Did you know that it takes the average person reading some things three times before they fully understand something?? confused24.gif Anyway, most of the people asking questions like that are new to the club, and will be instantly screamed at to SEARCH! I dont think that is a very friendly way to welcome someone. finger.gif Anyway, why always be negative about people asking questions?? If they dont have any sort of manual, they will soon know that they need one. If you dont want to read peoples questions, then dont. Is it really that hard? Just defending the newbies out there. flag.gif

----
hijacked.gif EEERRR - not 2 hi-jack but 0 you said "search"... confused24.gif
Maybe it's just me, but when I try to search, I choose "today & earlier", enter a keyword or two, and the search comes back with a bunch or stuff that's not even close, or nothing matched. Is there a "how 2 search" 4 dummiez post? No? Maybe we/I need one.
hijacked.gif OUT -
flag.gif
Rouser
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 14 2006, 10:43 PM) *
WTF.gif Damn, a little sensitive?? I wasn't try to say ANYTHING negative about you at all. All I was doing was defending the people YOU are bashing. Go to Hell. finger.gif

There, I deleted all my posts. Happy now??? Fuck off.

Just as I suspected ... a no-driver's-license, no-914-owning, snot-nosed CHILD who has the NERVE NOT to mind his own business, and than further damages his non-existant reputation by using big-people's words towards someone he knows absolutely NOTHING about.

And THIS is the individual (i.e. child) who's masterminding the East Coast gathering? Gee, I hope his Dad's going to, so he can see how disrespectful his lil' toddler can be around "real" adults.
bondo
Well, you're certainly rousing.
Rouser
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 14 2006, 10:58 PM) *

Damn, I'm finished with this club. I'm gone for a while.

WHAT, no apologies for your misbehavior? Heck, I've seen female club members here act with a better man-set than you've recently displayed.

Come back when you're old enough to vote.
ws91420
Been reading this not sure but I think you have been just as big of a child here Rouser at least grasshopper has an excuse for being one.
Rouser
QUOTE(bondo @ Aug 14 2006, 11:04 PM) *

Well, you're certainly rousing.

I totally apologize for getting into a pissing match with grasshopper; I didn't realize I was dealing with a 15-year-old child who didn't know his respecttful place.

I've never cared how old ANYONE here was (I don't check ID at the door), I always tried to treat EVERYONE with the same respect that I expected in return. But this kid needs to do a little bit of growing up.

It was a HAYNES 914 MANUAL thread ... not a grasshopper autobiography.
Rouser
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Aug 14 2006, 11:14 PM) *

Been reading this not sure but I think you have been just as big of a child here Rouser at least grasshopper has an excuse for being one.

I realize I shouldn't have gotten into it with him, but there was no call for helping himself to all the profane smilies, just to make his point.
SLITS
Ahhh.....I am the guilty one who tells people to search and yes, the search function brings up a lotta useless crap (most of my posts).

I also tell them to go to the library and devour any material they can find on a paticular subject. After that, come back and ask the questions.

I also tell them to buy the book...I have:
1.) Factory Manuals on microfiche
2.) 3 Haynes manuals (I lose them all the time)
3.) 1 Drake manual
4.) Colored wiring diagrams from '70 - '74 ( and I still can't figure it out)
5.) Bosch Parts CD
6.) Pet 6 (almost useless)
7.) Notes scribbled on my undies (SO wouldn't let me scribble on hers)

Ok, so I'm an old phart and the above is what I did. I guess I expect everyone else to do the same.

After all of the above, I still don't figure I know everything (but I do lie about it).

In the end, I don't read everything posted here, nor do I reply to everything. To me Rouser had a valid complaint, observation, or whatever you want to call it. Why it went downhill to the shitter I'll never figure out.

BTW, leaving the club site in disgust doesn't harm anyone except yourself.

Get over your egos (so mine smoke.gif yoda.gif can take command)

So now that's settled, lets have a group grouphug.gif . Eric will even loan you his pink salmon shirt so that you all feel better about it.

I just realized I didn't have anything important to say..........Nevermind
Chris Pincetich
There are pre-oiled copies of Haynes on eBay right now! beerchug.gif I find it easier to use Haynes when my hands are dirty, rather than getting grease on the keyboard. av-943.gif dry.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 14 2006, 08:46 PM) *

3.) 1 Drake manual

Drake manual? More info please!! I don't know of a Drake 914 manual; is that yet another publishing of the Clymer/Lash manual?

I live and die by the Haynes manual. Best ~$20 I ever spent on the damn car!!

--DD
rktmn247
This is it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Porsche-914-4-Workshop...1QQcmdZViewItem

beerchug.gif
type47
ar15.gif popcorn[1].gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
URY914
Let it go.....
grasshopper
ok, I'm over it now. On with the discussion of manuals. smile.gif
SGB
I've got every manual you can think of, along with sections of the factory workshop instructions, but the internet has rendered most of these things to back up duty. I got spoiled by Pelican's website long ago. Of course, it doesn't have EVERYTHING. I gotta find my spec book to get the proper torque for the rocker arm assembly I R & R'd this weekenf to fix leaky pushrod tubes. BUT, I'll bet someone on the non-club already knows the answer (at least Jake & the Captian) and they may be compelled to share. I know I like the newby questions, bc I know some of those answers too! And when I do, I type 'em up and post away, so that I feel like I have done my duty to teener tranquility.
type47
QUOTE(SGB @ Aug 15 2006, 08:23 AM) *

I gotta find my spec book to get the proper torque for the rocker arm assembly I R & R'd this weekenf to fix leaky pushrod tubes.

little 10 mm nuts? 10 ft-lb
grasshopper
av-943.gif See, you were right scott!
gary gartner
I may qualify as a hijacked.gif , (getting back on topic, I mean)

but since I've had this car since way before Al Gore invented the internet--
the haynes was an absolute necessity---( i also find Dr George's Tech Tips helpful)
smoke.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Rouser @ Aug 14 2006, 05:45 PM) *

I've noticed more and more posts of questions (come on, I'm takin' basic - and some not-so-basic - questions) that are giving away the fact that some of you don't own, or care to own, a repair manual. What's up with that? Please, I'm not talking to you hard-core 914 guys/gals, the ones (I'm raising my hand here) that have enough data littering your hard drive(s), bedrooms, and garages to choke the next WCC.

I'm talking to the ones who ask "certain" questions (I know ... there's no stupid questions blah, blah, blah ...) that us well-heeled/well-worn 914ers can tell are spawned from zero repair literature. "Where's the tranny dipstick? Is it righty-tighty lefty-loosey? Where's the oil/fuel/air filter/pump located? How do you adjust the idle/brakes/seat/mixture/clock?"

You've heard us quote from them often enough, so why not own - at a minumum - at LEAST a Haynes manual before undertaking a repair that might eventually lead you into giving up entirely, selling your 914 (at a significant loss) to one of those hard-cores, who'll promptly repair your "repair" with a $0.50 fuse ...

agree.gif Buddy, yer preachin' to the choir on this. I've had this beef with every forum I've been on (the VW VORTEX is a textbook case!). Oh, and torque wrenches. Nobody knows what they are or how to use 'em, but that's another rant.
SGB
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Aug 15 2006, 11:56 AM) *

Oh, and torque wrenches. Nobody knows what they are or how to use 'em, but that's another rant.

Torque specs are REAL, and absolutely CRITICAL to putting metal together.

What made Porsche a great car producer were not only design features. Metalworking skills and metallurgy in general were significant influences in the success of the company and the products it makes.

Overtightening a fitting is as bad as undertightening, just not as obvious to the average individual, because very few people aknowledge the strength of materials, especially metals. It really isn't very intuative. Which is why I USE A TORQUE WRENCH. beer3.gif

especially after a few beers!
turboman808
QUOTE(Rouser @ Aug 14 2006, 04:45 PM) *

Well I am sure you can block peoples post you don't feel are worth laying your eyes upon.

But lets see....
Idle-figured out myself even though it's not stock and has 2 screws for each side
seat-custom rails with a well hidden adjustment. Took awhile to figure out
mixture-well my buddy haltech takes car of that
clock-what clock?
tranny dipstick-hell I don't know where is it on a 916 tranny?
oil pump I don't know haven't had that problem yet.
air filter-2 fat ones sitting right on top of the motor
Brakes-is brakes no matter the car.

Never got much out of haynes manuals. Find much more information using the internet. Since there is absolutely nothing stock on my car I don't see how buying a haynes is gonna help me. confused24.gif

Yeah I can confidently say nothing in my car is the same as a stock 914(except the dashboard). Which is some ways sucks because the wiring harness is a mess.
SLITS
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 14 2006, 11:16 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 14 2006, 08:46 PM) *

3.) 1 Drake manual

Drake manual? More info please!! I don't know of a Drake 914 manual; is that yet another publishing of the Clymer/Lash manual?

I live and die by the Haynes manual. Best ~$20 I ever spent on the damn car!!

--DD

The pictures are much **clearer than Haynes.....only covers '70 - '72 and was published in '72 by Drake Publishers...Noy Yawk City......

**I like pictures 'cause I can't read.
Rouser
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Aug 15 2006, 04:44 PM) *

Well I am sure you can block peoples post you don't feel are worth laying your eyes upon.

But lets see....
Idle-figured out myself even though it's not stock and has 2 screws for each side
seat-custom rails with a well hidden adjustment. Took awhile to figure out
mixture-well my buddy haltech takes car of that
clock-what clock?
tranny dipstick-hell I don't know where is it on a 916 tranny?
oil pump I don't know haven't had that problem yet.
air filter-2 fat ones sitting right on top of the motor
Brakes-is brakes no matter the car.

Never got much out of haynes manuals. Find much more information using the internet. Since there is absolutely nothing stock on my car I don't see how buying a haynes is gonna help me. confused24.gif

Yeah I can confidently say nothing in my car is the same as a stock 914 (except the dashboard). Which is some ways sucks because the wiring harness is a mess.

Um, I don't "block" anyone's posts (never have) so I don't know what you're talkin' about ...

Most of your arguements don't make any sense, since a Haynes manual will STILL show you the conventional layout (motor/tranny/ETC STILL mount to the car same as "stock"), regardless of how non-stock you think your 914 is.

Like I said, I was talking to the 914 owners who would be left in the lurch if they suddenly lost ALL methods of access to "The Internet" and had to rely on their wits and .... oh, yeah ... a 914 repair manual.
Rouser
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 15 2006, 12:23 PM) *

Gee ... you had me worried. dry.gif
jgara962
First thing I did when I bought my 914 was to order a Haynes manual. When I have a problem, first thing I do is go the the internet. biggrin.gif

The tech articles on PP and this site usually have the answer to any question. I find the Haynes manual very confusing. To find how to repair a small item, you need to read through all of the text of a much larger project. Half the time you can't find what you looking for in the index.

Luckily all of us "dimwits" have the internet and don't have to rely solely on a manual wink.gif
914rrr
QUOTE(rktmn247 @ Aug 14 2006, 11:52 PM) *

Loooks like an older version of the Haynes manual, or ? I MUST HAVE THIS!!! drooley.gif It will nicely compliment the 2 Haynes (one 'nice' and one dirty, marked up), the 2 Clymer (one green cover, one orange cover) and the 2 914 tech reference (blue skinny ones), and a bunch of Bosch FI manuals (4). BTW the exploded parts diagram (knock off) by DerWhite is pretty much worthless!!!

There are things that are not covered in those manuals (ignition switch disassembly, for example). Maybe in the factory manual set, but I don't own that.
grasshopper
QUOTE(Rouser @ Aug 15 2006, 04:35 PM) *

QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 15 2006, 12:23 PM) *

Gee ... you had me worried. dry.gif

Hmm.. I guess you havn't. Looks like you have a little "growing up" to do yourself. cool_shades.gif (JUST KIDDING) Please, I want to end this on a good note. I am sorry for what I said, I hope you will apologize for the "names" you called me. I really am sorry that what I said offended you, I just got in a bad mood after what I said was turned into something negative. Friends? beerchug.gif
So.Cal.914
Grasshopper: Life is not a popularity contest. Your not going to please everyone so don't try,

you will drive yourself crazy. You have one point of view and he has another.

I am willing to help anyone I can here and in the real world, thats just me.

If he is not than he is not and that is his right.
Chris Pincetich
Those exploded parts diagrams are the best smoke.gif
It's totally 3-D in white space, as if each assembly was laid out by itself. All the parts are numbered...but never have a description of exactly what the part is called. WHO has or what is the name of the list that has the key to what all the numers mean exactly in the exploded parts manual? blink.gif
Is that "914 Restorer's guide" book any good?
Dave_Darling
Porsche will, I think, sell you a CD with a Windows program that shows the exploded diagrams (well, approximations of them) and lists the "official" names and part numbers of the parts. The names often don't match what we call them. Versions of this software have been available elsewhere in the past (search on "PET").

The "Restorer's Guide" by Brett Johnson is good, but not great. It's definitely not a repair or resto manual; more like a very detailed description of the cars. It details running year-to-year changes, color and material options, etc. It is not the last word, though, as lots of stuff happened to 914s that was not "supposed to". (E.g., 73 gauges in 74 cars, etc.) There are at least two editions that I know of; I didn't see a whole lot of difference between them but I did not take the time to look carefully.

--DD
Rouser
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 15 2006, 09:20 PM) *

Looks like you have a little "growing up" to do yourself. cool_shades.gif (JUST KIDDING)

See what I mean ... still acting like you'll get the last word, huh?

Please, I want to end this on a good note. I am sorry for what I said, I hope you will apologize for the "names" you called me.

I apologize for voicing my opinion of you outloud on this forum; I didn't realize who I was dealing with. I'll get over it.

I really am sorry that what I said offended you, I just got in a bad mood after what I said was turned into something negative. Friends? beerchug.gif

Why would you think that what you're saying wouldn't offend ANYBODY? Next time, I hope it'll give you reason to pause. Leave "bad moods" at the door, unless you warn everybody first.

Friends? Never was your enemy ... only got upset with your disrespectful attitude, that's all.

Next time, don't feel compelled to respond to each-and-every thread on this forum, it's just not necessary.
914 dror
Funny thing
Back in 1996 when I was on my first U.S. tour
I saw for the first time a 914 and was fascinated so I bought the Haynes and was even more surprised from the qualities it has.
It took 3 years before I had the opportunity to buy one in Israel by that time I was pretty much knowledgeable about the 914.
Yes I recommend!
SLITS
There are things you learn once you have a teener that are not in a manual. For instance, I was changing the fuel lines on my '70 project and found that the lines from front to rear are all plastic. I always thought they had metal ends where they came thru the body.

Also, the lines through the firewall (bolth ends) have seperate rubber gaskets...not one like I am used to.

Are we having fun now?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.