Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Haynes 914 Repair Manual, or ANY manual!, Why is this STILL optional with some people?
Please humor me ...
Do you even OWN some type of 914 repair manual, be it factory, Bendix, Clymer, Haynes, or WHATEVER?
I've owned this car so long, each nut, bolt, & wire is microfiched to the inside of my skull. [ 9 ] ** [36.00%]
Everything's tatooed to my forearm for quick & easy reference. [ 3 ] ** [12.00%]
What for? It's not worth any extra points on the Concours d'Elegance. [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Not while my browser can boot up to my 914Club.com home page! [ 7 ] ** [28.00%]
I wouldn't admit it to you even if I don't ... why, is it starting to show? [ 1 ] ** [4.00%]
You mean, there actually ARE repair manuals out there? [ 1 ] ** [4.00%]
I glued all the pages together to test my memory. [ 2 ] ** [8.00%]
$20 better spent on some bling. [ 2 ] ** [8.00%]
Total Votes: 25

Rouser
post Aug 14 2006, 06:45 PM
Post #1

Anti-Post Whore

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 54

I've noticed more and more posts of questions (come on, I'm takin' basic - and some not-so-basic - questions) that are giving away the fact that some of you don't own, or care to own, a repair manual. What's up with that? Please, I'm not talking to you hard-core 914 guys/gals, the ones (I'm raising my hand here) that have enough data littering your hard drive(s), bedrooms, and garages to choke the next WCC.

I'm talking to the ones who ask "certain" questions (I know ... there's no stupid questions blah, blah, blah ...) that us well-heeled/well-worn 914ers can tell are spawned from zero repair literature. "Where's the tranny dipstick? Is it righty-tighty lefty-loosey? Where's the oil/fuel/air filter/pump located? How do you adjust the idle/brakes/seat/mixture/clock?"

You've heard us quote from them often enough, so why not own - at a minumum - at LEAST a Haynes manual before undertaking a repair that might eventually lead you into giving up entirely, selling your 914 (at a significant loss) to one of those hard-cores, who'll promptly repair your "repair" with a $0.50 fuse.

I know, I apologize WAY IN ADVANCE for sounding like an insensitive SOB, but (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) If a simple Haynes manual is way outta yer budget, than you've landed on the WRONG CAR! Go ahead, gimme the skewering I deserve ...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
Rouser
post Aug 14 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #21

Anti-Post Whore

QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 14 2006, 10:58 PM) *

Damn, I'm finished with this club. I'm gone for a while.

WHAT, no apologies for your misbehavior? Heck, I've seen female club members here act with a better man-set than you've recently displayed.

Come back when you're old enough to vote.
+Quote Post
ws91420
post Aug 14 2006, 09:14 PM
Post #22

Yes I have one a Lensley 914

Group: Members
From: Ruther Glen,VA (halfway between sticks and civilization)
Member No.: 1,137
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Been reading this not sure but I think you have been just as big of a child here Rouser at least grasshopper has an excuse for being one.
+Quote Post
Rouser
post Aug 14 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #23

Anti-Post Whore

QUOTE(bondo @ Aug 14 2006, 11:04 PM) *

Well, you're certainly rousing.

I totally apologize for getting into a pissing match with grasshopper; I didn't realize I was dealing with a 15-year-old child who didn't know his respecttful place.

I've never cared how old ANYONE here was (I don't check ID at the door), I always tried to treat EVERYONE with the same respect that I expected in return. But this kid needs to do a little bit of growing up.

It was a HAYNES 914 MANUAL thread ... not a grasshopper autobiography.
+Quote Post
Rouser
post Aug 14 2006, 09:22 PM
Post #24

Anti-Post Whore

QUOTE(ws91420 @ Aug 14 2006, 11:14 PM) *

Been reading this not sure but I think you have been just as big of a child here Rouser at least grasshopper has an excuse for being one.

I realize I shouldn't have gotten into it with him, but there was no call for helping himself to all the profane smilies, just to make his point.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 14 2006, 09:46 PM
Post #25

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Ahhh.....I am the guilty one who tells people to search and yes, the search function brings up a lotta useless crap (most of my posts).

I also tell them to go to the library and devour any material they can find on a paticular subject. After that, come back and ask the questions.

I also tell them to buy the book...I have:
1.) Factory Manuals on microfiche
2.) 3 Haynes manuals (I lose them all the time)
3.) 1 Drake manual
4.) Colored wiring diagrams from '70 - '74 ( and I still can't figure it out)
5.) Bosch Parts CD
6.) Pet 6 (almost useless)
7.) Notes scribbled on my undies (SO wouldn't let me scribble on hers)

Ok, so I'm an old phart and the above is what I did. I guess I expect everyone else to do the same.

After all of the above, I still don't figure I know everything (but I do lie about it).

In the end, I don't read everything posted here, nor do I reply to everything. To me Rouser had a valid complaint, observation, or whatever you want to call it. Why it went downhill to the shitter I'll never figure out.

BTW, leaving the club site in disgust doesn't harm anyone except yourself.

Get over your egos (so mine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yoda.gif) can take command)

So now that's settled, lets have a group (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif) . Eric will even loan you his pink salmon shirt so that you all feel better about it.

I just realized I didn't have anything important to say..........Nevermind
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Aug 14 2006, 11:05 PM
Post #26

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

There are pre-oiled copies of Haynes on eBay right now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I find it easier to use Haynes when my hands are dirty, rather than getting grease on the keyboard. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 15 2006, 12:16 AM
Post #27

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 14 2006, 08:46 PM) *

3.) 1 Drake manual

Drake manual? More info please!! I don't know of a Drake 914 manual; is that yet another publishing of the Clymer/Lash manual?

I live and die by the Haynes manual. Best ~$20 I ever spent on the damn car!!

--DD
+Quote Post
rktmn247
post Aug 15 2006, 01:52 AM
Post #28

Irish Green with GT envy!

Member No.: 4,612

This is it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Porsche-914-4-Workshop...1QQcmdZViewItem

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
type47
post Aug 15 2006, 10:18 AM
Post #29

Viermeister

Member No.: 994

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 15 2006, 10:21 AM
Post #30

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Let it go.....
+Quote Post
grasshopper
post Aug 15 2006, 10:23 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,258

ok, I'm over it now. On with the discussion of manuals. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
SGB
post Aug 15 2006, 10:23 AM
Post #32

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

I've got every manual you can think of, along with sections of the factory workshop instructions, but the internet has rendered most of these things to back up duty. I got spoiled by Pelican's website long ago. Of course, it doesn't have EVERYTHING. I gotta find my spec book to get the proper torque for the rocker arm assembly I R & R'd this weekenf to fix leaky pushrod tubes. BUT, I'll bet someone on the non-club already knows the answer (at least Jake & the Captian) and they may be compelled to share. I know I like the newby questions, bc I know some of those answers too! And when I do, I type 'em up and post away, so that I feel like I have done my duty to teener tranquility.
+Quote Post
type47
post Aug 15 2006, 10:25 AM
Post #33

Viermeister

Member No.: 994

QUOTE(SGB @ Aug 15 2006, 08:23 AM) *

I gotta find my spec book to get the proper torque for the rocker arm assembly I R & R'd this weekenf to fix leaky pushrod tubes.

little 10 mm nuts? 10 ft-lb
+Quote Post
grasshopper
post Aug 15 2006, 10:27 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,258

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) See, you were right scott!
+Quote Post
gary gartner
post Aug 15 2006, 10:36 AM
Post #35

i know more than a newbie---way less than a guru

Member No.: 3,294
Region Association: Southern California

I may qualify as a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif) , (getting back on topic, I mean)

but since I've had this car since way before Al Gore invented the internet--
the haynes was an absolute necessity---( i also find Dr George's Tech Tips helpful)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Aug 15 2006, 10:56 AM
Post #36

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584

QUOTE(Rouser @ Aug 14 2006, 05:45 PM) *

I've noticed more and more posts of questions (come on, I'm takin' basic - and some not-so-basic - questions) that are giving away the fact that some of you don't own, or care to own, a repair manual. What's up with that? Please, I'm not talking to you hard-core 914 guys/gals, the ones (I'm raising my hand here) that have enough data littering your hard drive(s), bedrooms, and garages to choke the next WCC.

I'm talking to the ones who ask "certain" questions (I know ... there's no stupid questions blah, blah, blah ...) that us well-heeled/well-worn 914ers can tell are spawned from zero repair literature. "Where's the tranny dipstick? Is it righty-tighty lefty-loosey? Where's the oil/fuel/air filter/pump located? How do you adjust the idle/brakes/seat/mixture/clock?"

You've heard us quote from them often enough, so why not own - at a minumum - at LEAST a Haynes manual before undertaking a repair that might eventually lead you into giving up entirely, selling your 914 (at a significant loss) to one of those hard-cores, who'll promptly repair your "repair" with a $0.50 fuse ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Buddy, yer preachin' to the choir on this. I've had this beef with every forum I've been on (the VW VORTEX is a textbook case!). Oh, and torque wrenches. Nobody knows what they are or how to use 'em, but that's another rant.
+Quote Post
SGB
post Aug 15 2006, 12:24 PM
Post #37

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Aug 15 2006, 11:56 AM) *

Oh, and torque wrenches. Nobody knows what they are or how to use 'em, but that's another rant.

Torque specs are REAL, and absolutely CRITICAL to putting metal together.

What made Porsche a great car producer were not only design features. Metalworking skills and metallurgy in general were significant influences in the success of the company and the products it makes.

Overtightening a fitting is as bad as undertightening, just not as obvious to the average individual, because very few people aknowledge the strength of materials, especially metals. It really isn't very intuative. Which is why I USE A TORQUE WRENCH. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

especially after a few beers!
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Aug 15 2006, 02:44 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Rouser @ Aug 14 2006, 04:45 PM) *

Well I am sure you can block peoples post you don't feel are worth laying your eyes upon.

But lets see....
Idle-figured out myself even though it's not stock and has 2 screws for each side
seat-custom rails with a well hidden adjustment. Took awhile to figure out
mixture-well my buddy haltech takes car of that
clock-what clock?
tranny dipstick-hell I don't know where is it on a 916 tranny?
oil pump I don't know haven't had that problem yet.
air filter-2 fat ones sitting right on top of the motor
Brakes-is brakes no matter the car.

Never got much out of haynes manuals. Find much more information using the internet. Since there is absolutely nothing stock on my car I don't see how buying a haynes is gonna help me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Yeah I can confidently say nothing in my car is the same as a stock 914(except the dashboard). Which is some ways sucks because the wiring harness is a mess.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 15 2006, 03:53 PM
Post #39

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 14 2006, 11:16 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 14 2006, 08:46 PM) *

3.) 1 Drake manual

Drake manual? More info please!! I don't know of a Drake 914 manual; is that yet another publishing of the Clymer/Lash manual?

I live and die by the Haynes manual. Best ~$20 I ever spent on the damn car!!

--DD

The pictures are much **clearer than Haynes.....only covers '70 - '72 and was published in '72 by Drake Publishers...Noy Yawk City......

**I like pictures 'cause I can't read.
+Quote Post
Rouser
post Aug 15 2006, 06:32 PM
Post #40

Anti-Post Whore

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Aug 15 2006, 04:44 PM) *

Well I am sure you can block peoples post you don't feel are worth laying your eyes upon.

But lets see....
Idle-figured out myself even though it's not stock and has 2 screws for each side
seat-custom rails with a well hidden adjustment. Took awhile to figure out
mixture-well my buddy haltech takes car of that
clock-what clock?
tranny dipstick-hell I don't know where is it on a 916 tranny?
oil pump I don't know haven't had that problem yet.
air filter-2 fat ones sitting right on top of the motor
Brakes-is brakes no matter the car.

Never got much out of haynes manuals. Find much more information using the internet. Since there is absolutely nothing stock on my car I don't see how buying a haynes is gonna help me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Yeah I can confidently say nothing in my car is the same as a stock 914 (except the dashboard). Which is some ways sucks because the wiring harness is a mess.

Um, I don't "block" anyone's posts (never have) so I don't know what you're talkin' about ...

Most of your arguements don't make any sense, since a Haynes manual will STILL show you the conventional layout (motor/tranny/ETC STILL mount to the car same as "stock"), regardless of how non-stock you think your 914 is.

Like I said, I was talking to the 914 owners who would be left in the lurch if they suddenly lost ALL methods of access to "The Internet" and had to rely on their wits and .... oh, yeah ... a 914 repair manual.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 02:55 PM