Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Morbid question, The things I think about
Teknon
post Aug 15 2006, 12:14 PM
Post #1

The more I learn the dumber i think I am

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,505
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I know this question is on the morbid side, but I have rolled a 914 off a twenty foot embankment and all it did when it landed up side down was bend in the windshield post and brake the window. Of course the top was toast. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

As I rebuild mine and looking at the crash victims we cut up sometimes. I can see where the car is made to be collapsible. Which would be a great help in an accident.

I was wondering if nationally anyone knows of someone dying in a 914.

I lost a best friend thirty-five years ago in a wreck. He had a 356B and hit a train trestle at a great speed. He and the car were destroyed.

If this is too much for you don't post, but the info would be helpful.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
grasshopper
post Aug 15 2006, 12:25 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,258
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I have never heard of anyone "dieing" in a crash in a 914. Even these guys lived. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Aug 15 2006, 12:25 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

Never lost a friend in a car. Lost plenty to bicycle riding accidents. We are very vunerable squishy bags of water and not much we can do about it.

Lost a friend down in Texas this year to a kid who was text messaging while driving his SUV and ran him over.

Another lost control of her bike riding in the Catskill area and slammed into a tree around 40mph. Was in ICU for 2 weeks then died.

Guess what I take from that is if you got to die at least try to die doing what you love.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 15 2006, 01:09 PM
Post #4

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

What was they guy's name, Lief something, pop idol, dipshit. He didn't kill his friend, just put him in a chair of life. It was in a 914 I think.
+Quote Post
bustruscket
post Aug 15 2006, 02:15 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,315

A fireman I work with, insists on telling me how a guy was impaled by his steering column in a light crash. I doubt it is an "accurate" depiction of how he died though. Our local fireman tend to stretch the truth. Either way I have since checked my steering wheel twice.
b
+Quote Post
bondo
post Aug 15 2006, 02:25 PM
Post #6

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 15 2006, 11:25 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I have never heard of anyone "dieing" in a crash in a 914. Even these guys lived. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Yeah, all THREE of them!!
+Quote Post
rmital
post Aug 15 2006, 02:29 PM
Post #7

Northeast optimist

Member No.: 5,268

driving a 914 in the winter years ago...I failed to pay attention to the "Bridge Freezes Before Roadway Surface" sign. I must have been doing around 50mph as I started over the bridge. Spun around once, maybe twice before hitting the barrier perfectly backwards. I must have slowed down enough...walk away with not a scratch. The back of the car collapsed....but the motor still ran great.
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post Aug 15 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #8

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

Member No.: 898
Region Association: South East States

Yeah! I've heard all those stories. Some feiends tell me that knew someone that knew someone the filped one and was killed. I don't personaly. I think this one sould be awarded a win by TKO.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Attached Image
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Aug 17 2006, 10:08 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 623

That bridge jumping 914 must have had the optional third seat installed.
+Quote Post
Dave-O
post Aug 17 2006, 11:05 PM
Post #10

Is winter done yet?

Member No.: 1,082

QUOTE(wbergtho @ Aug 17 2006, 11:08 PM) *

That bridge jumping 914 must have had the optional third seat installed.

I think it was just an optional 3rd seat belt that was to be used to seat a child on the center pad. However I will leave that to the experts.

In high school I had a "vertically challenged" friend (about 5'4") Every once in a while we would tool around with him in the center. One time we even stashed him in the front trunk (just across a parking lot) and he popped out in a crowd of people. Good times! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 18 2006, 12:12 AM
Post #11

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

That white one Joe posted was a color change car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
hcdmueller
post Aug 18 2006, 12:25 AM
Post #12

?????????????

Member No.: 5,527
Region Association: England

Almost lost a friend of mine in a 72 1.7L 914 about 7 years ago now. A truck ran him off the road and he found a very large rock to help him stop. The impact split the car in half. The only straight piece left was the muffler. He was pinned upside down in the front section with the gas tank leaking on him. After a short hospital stay (only 7 or 8 months) he had more titanium in his legs than the space shuttle and he could walk pretty good. I still have him drive everywhere when I am in town so we can take advantage of the premier parking he always gets now.
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Aug 18 2006, 01:22 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 3,782

In my 20s I was good friends with a foreign car wrecking yard owner, he received a 914 with front end damage. He told me a man donated the car to him. The man said his son was killed in the collision. I have no doubt the story was legitimate.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Aug 18 2006, 06:45 AM
Post #14

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

I havent heard of anyone either. The question I would have is were they properly belted in their car. My mom is a retired ER nurse and I heard many a story of people being killed in a crash mainly because they were not wearing their seat belt so I assume the same holds true with the 914

I know our own member Flat VW in AZ was very lucky in a bad crash this past year. If the inpact was just a few more inches closer to the drivers door I don't think it would have mattered that he had his belt on. John if you are reading this, glad your still with us. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:31 PM