Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Morbid question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Teknon
I know this question is on the morbid side, but I have rolled a 914 off a twenty foot embankment and all it did when it landed up side down was bend in the windshield post and brake the window. Of course the top was toast. driving.gif

As I rebuild mine and looking at the crash victims we cut up sometimes. I can see where the car is made to be collapsible. Which would be a great help in an accident.

I was wondering if nationally anyone knows of someone dying in a 914.

I lost a best friend thirty-five years ago in a wreck. He had a 356B and hit a train trestle at a great speed. He and the car were destroyed.

If this is too much for you don't post, but the info would be helpful.
grasshopper
agree.gif I have never heard of anyone "dieing" in a crash in a 914. Even these guys lived. screwy.gif
turboman808
Never lost a friend in a car. Lost plenty to bicycle riding accidents. We are very vunerable squishy bags of water and not much we can do about it.

Lost a friend down in Texas this year to a kid who was text messaging while driving his SUV and ran him over.

Another lost control of her bike riding in the Catskill area and slammed into a tree around 40mph. Was in ICU for 2 weeks then died.

Guess what I take from that is if you got to die at least try to die doing what you love.
URY914
What was they guy's name, Lief something, pop idol, dipshit. He didn't kill his friend, just put him in a chair of life. It was in a 914 I think.
bustruscket

A fireman I work with, insists on telling me how a guy was impaled by his steering column in a light crash. I doubt it is an "accurate" depiction of how he died though. Our local fireman tend to stretch the truth. Either way I have since checked my steering wheel twice.
b
bondo
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 15 2006, 11:25 AM) *

agree.gif I have never heard of anyone "dieing" in a crash in a 914. Even these guys lived. screwy.gif

Yeah, all THREE of them!!
rmital
driving a 914 in the winter years ago...I failed to pay attention to the "Bridge Freezes Before Roadway Surface" sign. I must have been doing around 50mph as I started over the bridge. Spun around once, maybe twice before hitting the barrier perfectly backwards. I must have slowed down enough...walk away with not a scratch. The back of the car collapsed....but the motor still ran great.
JoeSharp
Yeah! I've heard all those stories. Some feiends tell me that knew someone that knew someone the filped one and was killed. I don't personaly. I think this one sould be awarded a win by TKO.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Click to view attachment
wbergtho
That bridge jumping 914 must have had the optional third seat installed.
Dave-O
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Aug 17 2006, 11:08 PM) *

That bridge jumping 914 must have had the optional third seat installed.

I think it was just an optional 3rd seat belt that was to be used to seat a child on the center pad. However I will leave that to the experts.

In high school I had a "vertically challenged" friend (about 5'4") Every once in a while we would tool around with him in the center. One time we even stashed him in the front trunk (just across a parking lot) and he popped out in a crowd of people. Good times! laugh.gif
McMark
That white one Joe posted was a color change car! laugh.gif
hcdmueller
Almost lost a friend of mine in a 72 1.7L 914 about 7 years ago now. A truck ran him off the road and he found a very large rock to help him stop. The impact split the car in half. The only straight piece left was the muffler. He was pinned upside down in the front section with the gas tank leaking on him. After a short hospital stay (only 7 or 8 months) he had more titanium in his legs than the space shuttle and he could walk pretty good. I still have him drive everywhere when I am in town so we can take advantage of the premier parking he always gets now.
drive-ability
In my 20s I was good friends with a foreign car wrecking yard owner, he received a 914 with front end damage. He told me a man donated the car to him. The man said his son was killed in the collision. I have no doubt the story was legitimate.
GaroldShaffer
I havent heard of anyone either. The question I would have is were they properly belted in their car. My mom is a retired ER nurse and I heard many a story of people being killed in a crash mainly because they were not wearing their seat belt so I assume the same holds true with the 914

I know our own member Flat VW in AZ was very lucky in a bad crash this past year. If the inpact was just a few more inches closer to the drivers door I don't think it would have mattered that he had his belt on. John if you are reading this, glad your still with us. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.