Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 retractable wing/air brake (video), I saw a mercedes slr and thought, I can build that!
VegasRacer
post Aug 17 2006, 09:14 PM
Post #61

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

Excellent Job Dana. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

That is some of the best video photoshop editing I have ever seen. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)
Can you do one of Big Foot and UFO's too? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

That is sick, Dude. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Aug 17 2006, 09:36 PM
Post #62

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,138
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(drive-ability @ Aug 17 2006, 07:17 PM) *

I hope you guys don't take this the wrong way but asking for the details is all well and good but really challenging your self to come up with original ideas to me is why I do this. I realize this isn't new but to take it from another car and implement it to yours is something special.

yep, I couldn't have said it better myself. I would be more than happy to point people in the right direction as far as this concept is concerned, but a kit is not really feasable. thank you all for all the kind words.

and yes John, after I finish this photochop video of my car riding on 22 inch spinners and hydros I would be happy to make one of you with bigfoot!
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Aug 18 2006, 01:16 AM
Post #63

no rules, just wrong

Member No.: 141

I hope you guys don't take this the wrong way but asking for the details is all well and good but really challenging your self to come up with original ideas to me is why I do this. I realize this isn't new but to take it from another car and implement it to yours is something special. What is the worst thing that can happen, well I tried to use 911 transmission mounts on my renegade engine cross brace and the engine fell out along with another major screw up when I used 914 engine mounts on my trans-mounts and the transmission fell out and so on. Along the failing way good things happen. Now I will shut up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Dana got inspired and did something (something really cool). Let it inspire you to do something different.
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Aug 18 2006, 02:31 AM
Post #64

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Hmmm....

Needs titanium.

Did you wire the spoiler so that it changes angles at speeds, as opposed to a switch that just kicks the spoiler out?

OT; I've been working on a front spoiler that changes angles with suspension movement. Based on a few pictures I found of that done to early stock cars. Care to PM me some input?
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Aug 18 2006, 07:26 AM
Post #65

QUOTE(alpha434 @ Aug 18 2006, 01:31 AM) *

Hmmm....

Needs titanium.

Did you wire the spoiler so that it changes angles at speeds, as opposed to a switch that just kicks the spoiler out?

I have a titanium wedding band, I'm sure the wife wouldn't mind if I welded/glued it in to the wing somewhere! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) given that its titanium it would probably add ten or twelve mph to my top speed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

the wing is deployed by an adjustable speed sensitive switch. I can set the switch to deploy the wing at any speed. it would be easy to have different angles of attack, all I would have to do is swap in a linear actuator with a built in potentiometer, but the back half of my car is to a little to busy as it is so I think i'll stick to one angle on the wing.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 18 2006, 08:03 AM
Post #66

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Ok... when will you have them ready for sale?
+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Aug 18 2006, 08:47 AM
Post #67

Now on larger rolling jack stands!

Member No.: 4,510

Will you be at SEMA this year? If not can you be available that week for a drop in visit? Its the week of Oct 30-Nov 3.....
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Aug 18 2006, 09:10 AM
Post #68

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 18 2006, 07:03 AM) *

Ok... when will you have them ready for sale?

$15,000 available now.
+Quote Post
Engman
post Aug 18 2006, 10:51 AM
Post #69

Zoisite

Member No.: 475

QUOTE(jonwatts @ Aug 18 2006, 03:16 AM) *

I hope you guys don't take this the wrong way but asking for the details is all well and good but really challenging your self to come up with original ideas to me is why I do this. I realize this isn't new but to take it from another car and implement it to yours is something special. What is the worst thing that can happen, well I tried to use 911 transmission mounts on my renegade engine cross brace and the engine fell out along with another major screw up when I used 914 engine mounts on my trans-mounts and the transmission fell out and so on. Along the failing way good things happen. Now I will shut up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Dana got inspired and did something (something really cool). Let it inspire you to do something different.

You are correct, however, I wish to admire how it was done. As an engineer, seeing how often leads to other 'new' ideas.

No desire to copy or imitate, it was simply well done and deserves to be admired.

M
+Quote Post
turbo914v8
post Aug 18 2006, 11:12 AM
Post #70

Member No.: 952

I think if the creator feels the need and has the time he could offer a kit or at the very least plans to duplicate HIS idea. Baring that I don’t think its fair for us to ask the creator to give up all his idea with pictures and part numbers so that the rest of us can copy it with out compensation to the creator. After all it was his idea and he is the first to adopt it to the 914. That being said if you’re creative enough to use what you have already learned and duplicate it all the power to you. Just my .02.
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Aug 18 2006, 01:28 PM
Post #71

QUOTE(turbo914v8 @ Aug 18 2006, 10:12 AM) *

I think if the creator feels the need and has the time he could offer a kit or at the very least plans to duplicate HIS idea. Baring that I don’t think its fair for us to ask the creator to give up all his idea with pictures and part numbers so that the rest of us can copy it with out compensation to the creator. After all it was his idea and he is the first to adopt it to the 914. That being said if you’re creative enough to use what you have already learned and duplicate it all the power to you. Just my .02.

I don't want any money
A kit is just totally unrealistic, it's all custom and you have to cut your trunk in half.
if you have any questions regarding this crazy thing let me know, I would be happy to help you but you will be on your own as far as building it and getting it to work. like I said if you want me to build one it will cost you $1,5000.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Aug 18 2006, 01:46 PM
Post #72

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

Very cool. When do the neon lights and air suspension get installed? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Aug 18 2006, 03:21 PM
Post #73

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Remember that self adjusting wings are not a recent developement.

Back in the 50s they just added in a hydraulic ram to the brake system with a spring recoil. This was nice, because angle of attack is a function of brake pressure.

I have an airbrake system planned on my car, but not in the form of a wing.... Hidden beneath the bodywork. Three tubes will lead from the front bumper to the rear. One down the middle will lead straight into the engine bay, forcing air into the intake and into the cooling system. One down each side will lead air into the front brakes, channeled through the door panels, to the rear brakes. At the rear trunk, all the air is just dumped into an empty area. The tail lights are to be replaced with screen, and the mid section (where the trunk release is.) New tail lights will be placed inboard, beneath the trunk (new fiberglass trunks made by me.) The car will have a flat bottom installed, which traps the air flowing through the body on two sides. Pressure on the third. A hydraulic ram will raise a panel and trap the air on the fourth side.

It's too bad I don't believe in progress threads. I'm doing a one-piece front end (quarter panels+hood+bumper) and I finished the mold last weekend.
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Aug 23 2006, 11:52 AM
Post #74

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

Dana,

i just read your thread and don't know if you plan to share your info or not. i sure hope you do. =-) with close-up pics. =-)

your design is great and i bet everyone here would appreciate the info.

people talk a lot but talk is cheap. you did something and it came out great. much respect.
+Quote Post
kenikh
post Aug 23 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 6,061

I saw this thread and said to myself "this is going to be another defining moment for the word SUCK"...WRONG. That has to be one of the most perfectly implemented pieces of trick goodness I have ever seen. The bodywork is seamless and well designed, the engagement of teh wing is smooth and looks factory. In one word, AMAZING. My hat is off to you as I can't imagine anything else that could be more stealth, yet go so BLING in 5 seconds!
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Aug 23 2006, 02:43 PM
Post #76

thank you all for the kind words, sorry to keep you guys hanging as far as the details are concerned. I am getting ready for a big move and really have a lot on my hands. when I have time to post some pics I would be more than happy to. just give me a couple weeks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post Aug 23 2006, 03:03 PM
Post #77

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

It's too bad I don't believe in progress threads. I'm doing a one-piece front end (quarter panels+hood+bumper) and I finished the mold last weekend.

Hey Alpha, this is a hijack here, but I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I would love to see what you've been doing. Please share on another thread!

Dana:
You've done a fantastic job on this project!!! Just my personal style, I'm not into the air brake at all, and wouldn't do a wing. But.... I love seeing people apply their ideas, and this one is very nicely implemented. Huge props!!! Nice work!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Your car has truly made history. Congrats!
+Quote Post
JPB
post Aug 23 2006, 04:19 PM
Post #78

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

CRAAAAAPPPP!!! Why do you people have to throw some cool schmit at me and get me going like this!!!!LOL

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) How you say," (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) to carbon fiber trunk!" My steel trunk will be the guinny pig and up for sale once made!!!HELLOOO?

Aaaah, the angle is wrong on that wing if performance is an issue. It may even induce lift if the foil is wrong.
+Quote Post
JPB
post Aug 23 2006, 05:22 PM
Post #79

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

How about the water in the trunk thing? Now thats the real challenge of this project, unless you all don't drive in the rain or plan to use the spoiler in it. CRAP! I'm so hooked on this crazy thing!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

+Quote Post
Stuie
post Aug 23 2006, 05:26 PM
Post #80

Member No.: 6,688

I must admit thats a freakin' rad custom modification.

Kinda makes wish I knew circuit board design and such.

Anyone done some James Bond style "pop up" headlight missiles yet? That autospoiler is every bit as cool.

Nice work man!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 03:03 PM