Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 retractable wing/air brake (video)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
plymouth37
I saw a mercedes mclaren slr's crazy wing the other day and thought, I can build that! So long story short, with the help of a welder, half a trunk, and a case of beer my car has a retractable wing sawzall-smiley.gif beer3.gif . and yes you can still store the top in trunk with no problem.
wing video
bondo
That is awesome! How'd you do it? How long did it take?
drgchapman
That is very cool! beer.gif
How do you activate it?
How much difference is there say at 100mph?
914's tend to get light at speed.

That looks so great, nice job!
TonyAKAVW
WHOA!!!!! that is AWESOME!!

Really, that is incredibly slick. You have to tell us how you did that.

-Tony
Allan
That is freaking bitchin!!!

Details puleeze...
turboman808
Yeah that is really fucking cool!!!

Now make one for me dammit biggrin.gif
SLITS
Where's the tramp stamp?
effutuo101
agree.gif details please
plymouth37
it took me about three weekends of tinkering, most of my time was spent designing and wiring the scariest relay board ever.
one electric ram is triggered by a speed sensor (I also have an over ride switch) to move the wing out, the second ram for the brake is triggered (only at highway speeds) by the brake lights. I haven't really felt much of a difference as far as the wing but the brake really catches a lot of drag.
East coaster
Too cool ! !

I thought about this for my project and then decided to put all "neat things" on the back burner to get the car on the road. Nice fitment and motion. clap56.gif
Brad Roberts
That is slick!

I was gutting a Boxster for the Spec class and thought: hum.. I could use these small rams to raise a spoiler on a 914.. then tossed them into a box..LOL

B
McMark
Great implementation. I'd love to see some video with the car standing still and you flipping switches to make it do its thing. wink.gif
Trekkor
I be happy with a still shot...dry.gif

KT
balljoint
Dood, that is messed up. Very Cool. I also like the DeLorean paint job. Another cool use for a trunk monkey.
Midtowner
Okay, admit it! You got a very small and skinny kid to hide out in the (hot) trunk and push up the wing for the video. wink.gif
Wild 6
This should really be shared with 914s all over the country aktion035.gif
A TV dinner
shocked[1].gif my goodness gracious thats incredible.
plymouth37
thank you! glad you like it!
porschecb
You are not dealing with the questions.............. biggrin.gif sad.gif dry.gif
mudfoot76
That is totally awesome aktion035.gif
URY914
You know if you make the front trunk open under braking it have a MUCH greater effect. biggrin.gif

OK, maybe not. idea.gif

Very cool. Finally something NEW!!!!
plymouth37
QUOTE(porschecb @ Aug 15 2006, 07:05 PM) *

You are not dealing with the questions.............. biggrin.gif sad.gif dry.gif

sorry, I'll try to post some still pics soon. what do you want to know?
Engman
Very slick!

The fitment looks excellent as well.

Details man - we need details!

Nice job!

M
Lou W
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Aug 15 2006, 07:11 PM) *

QUOTE(porschecb @ Aug 15 2006, 07:05 PM) *

sorry, I'll try to post some still pics soon. what do you want to know?

I see you're from Vegas, is this one of those Chris Angel Mind Freak tricks?

jk biggrin.gif Very nice thumb3d.gif
SGB
That is absolutly the coolest thing I have seen for ANY car. What a perfect fabrication. I am in awe. A video of the mechanism going through some of the angles like in the vid is what I wanna see. Do you have some way of activating it while the car is stopped that you could vid??
Eric_Shea
You are one twisted dude... that gets my vote for best fab job of the decade smilie_pokal.gif
jim_hoyland
Wow ! Is that the car Renegade had at the 2005 Ventura GAF ?
plymouth37
ok fine, here are some details:
I mounted one ram in the middle of the trunk, this twists a rod that in turn turns two bars. these bars move the wing out and back. there are two other bars attached to the back of the wing on one side and to two moving rods on the other. when the brake is down the the bars pivot off the rods but when the brake is engaged a second ram lifts the afore mentioned rods, which lift the bars, which change the angle of the wing. yeah it's totally hard to understand and even harder to explain. I'll try to take some pics soon.
plymouth37
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 15 2006, 07:35 PM) *

Wow ! Is that the car Renegade had at the 2005 Ventura GAF ?

yep that's the one!
bondo
So how long until kits are available? biggrin.gif

(somebody had to ask)
plymouth37
QUOTE(bondo @ Aug 15 2006, 08:20 PM) *

So how long until kits are available? biggrin.gif

(somebody had to ask)

$15,000 I can start on it next week.
plymouth37

I see you're from Vegas, is this one of those Chris Angel Mind Freak tricks?

Yes, I stole one of his trained monkeys and taught it to push up my wing from the trunk. it gets pissed when I take hard right turns, the racket coming from the trunk is deafening laugh.gif

trunk monkeys are so over rated.
John
I bet you can't still store your top in there.

It is "interesting" to say the least.

While I do like it, it's not for me.

Nice craftsmanship though. It looks like it fits and operates really really nice.
WRX914
Dana,

I was wondering when you were going to post this thread. Guys, it is absolutly the greatest thing ever! Dana is such a creative guy, he has been working on this for a few weekends. Whenever I saw Dana, you could tell some gears were turning in his head. He told me about his idea, but I thought "Yeah, right" thumb3d.gif Sounds good little buddy... Boy did he prove me wrong! I was sitting behind Dana at a light here in Vegas, he pushed his little magic button and out came the end of his trunk! The woman in the car next to me nearly shit her pants! She was pointing and all three of us were laughing. Glad to see it is done...

smiley_notworthy.gif
WRX914
I guarantee the top fits in the trunk, I have seen it with my own eyes...
plymouth37
QUOTE(WRX914 @ Aug 16 2006, 08:13 AM) *

I guarantee the top fits in the trunk, I have seen it with my own eyes...

thanks man, and yes the top still fits. what good is a targa if you have no where to put the top?
WRX914
Dana,

Thank you and Mike Johnson for taking the time to do the things you do. Little did I know a few years back when I opened my old shop that I would find two great dudes as you are. Without you, my car would just be a pipe-dream smoke.gif pardon the pun... I know I have thanked you in the past, but I just drove my teener to work for the 1st time and while driving, I realized how great it is to have you guys as my mechanics and better yet, friends. Lets get together with you, Mike and our wives for dinner and a show. You guys are the best...

Best Regards,

Keith
John
Now you see, that's exactly why I refuse to go to Las Vegas.

I lost that bet rather quickly.......

what good is a targa if you have no where to put the top?

That is my sediments exactly. Part of the reason the movable spoiler wasn't for me.

It still looks like it works and fits well.
mrdezyne
I have sourced electric linear actuators for this project but those look really fast! Do you mind sharing what you used and from where?
bd1308
I dig the paint job (always wanted a delorean)

I like the wing/airbrake alot...

I think it would be a nice addition, but 15k is alot of money.

b
turbo914v8
One word WOW. You are my HERO. Great idea. Great fabricating skills. Make a kit and I am sure your idea will fly. Lol.
grasshopper
We need detail. Names of products you used. Actuators, Any other fabricated parts you made (other than the wing itself.) Pics of the inside of the trunk, underside of the trunk lid. Really, THAT IS AWSOME!
ptravnic
Very cool.

Do the edges seal up enough to keep rain out of the trunk? Can you feel a difference @ high speeds and/or when slowing down?

-pt
Demick
I think you should paint a huge STOP sign on the underside of the wing. Maybe help you from getting rear-ended
messix
av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
QUOTE(Demick @ Aug 16 2006, 11:50 AM) *

I think you should paint a huge STOP sign on the underside of the wing. Maybe help you from getting rear-ended

Joe Ricard
Damn if it was legal in ANY of the SCCA solo classes I think I would need one for the RNR. Just cuz it's cool.
morph
nice fab (clean) and it dosent really look outta place on the car.
great work smiley_notworthy.gif
james
siverson
Very cool and creative. I agree, it is nice to see new ideas. For me, the air brake is a little much, but a nice small spoiler rise could be interesting...

-Steve
dwillouby
Damn. I cant get the video to play!

David
MecGen
Hhmmm

Fuckin Eh smilie_pokal.gif
Awsome

Later
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.