Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 retractable wing/air brake (video)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
plymouth37
QUOTE(mrdezyne @ Aug 16 2006, 09:05 AM) *

I have sourced electric linear actuators for this project but those look really fast! Do you mind sharing what you used and from where?

I used 2 spal 2 inch throw linear actuators. they move the wing so fast thanks to leverage, the pivot point on the wings mechanism is really lopsided so the actuator only has to move a half inch to completely raise the wing during braking.

For me, the air brake is a little much, but a nice small spoiler rise could be interesting...

yeah i know the air brake is a little much, but it is really quite intertaining to mess with people on the road. my car can wave back! wavey.gif
Boojum
A+ For ingenuity, A++++ for having the skills and persistence to make it work!

I've been thinking of a similar approach to an airbrake, but we'll have to see how that turns out sawzall-smiley.gif
D1A3
That thing is SICK and I would love to have that on my car. With the flares it actually looks somewhat factory. I'm wondering if it woudl look as good with a narrow body?

Please post pics of the wing up from different angles and the inside of yoru trunk.

Again, really cool stuff!
msglaigaie
VERY nice!! I don't like spoilers at all, but this is very nice. I had to play the vid a couple of times and could not get the smile off my face. Great work. MSG L
mrdezyne
Thanks for the info, I've been designing for 3-4 inches of throw because I was not sure how much force I would need to counteract air flow forces. I figured with more throw I could set my leverage pivot points so the mechanism to withstand gail force winds. HAHA! Good to know a 2" throw will do the trick, should save some space too.

I like the idea of messing with people that ride up on you from behind. Maybe install one of those programable LED displays so you can send different messages for different situations! "EAT ME", "BACK OFF!", "HOW U DOIN?" smile.gif

Amazing job, I only hope I can make as clean an installation as you have accomplished.
plymouth37
QUOTE(mrdezyne @ Aug 17 2006, 08:55 AM) *

Thanks for the info, I've been designing for 3-4 inches of throw because I was not sure how much force I would need to counteract air flow forces. I figured with more throw I could set my leverage pivot points so the mechanism to withstand gail force winds. HAHA! Good to know a 2" throw will do the trick, should save some space.

Amazing job, I only hope I can make as clean an installation as you have accomplished.

thanks, even though the air brake has a huge mechanical advantage over the ram it still holds strong with no problem. I have done quite a few hard stops from 120+ and it hasn't been ripped off yet!
drive-ability
Well thats a must have modification, once I see something I like my garage lights stay on until its A. Done or B. I'm done or C. The neighbors drag me away in a straight jacket.
God help me av-943.gif

plymouth37,
Well done(an understatement), I like it when guys go out and raise the bar, theres a lot of people who never stop amazing me with there talent and creativity. This club is a winner smilie_pokal.gif
siverson
For those who haven't seen the video... (and I wanted to see some more detail of the cut out)

-Steve
PanelBilly
[I need to have one too!

Please share the details or sell the engineering to someone who will make it into a kit.
drive-ability
I hope you guys don't take this the wrong way but asking for the details is all well and good but really challenging your self to come up with original ideas to me is why I do this. I realize this isn't new but to take it from another car and implement it to yours is something special. What is the worst thing that can happen, well I tried to use 911 transmission mounts on my renegade engine cross brace and the engine fell out along with another major screw up when I used 914 engine mounts on my trans-mounts and the transmission fell out and so on. Along the failing way good things happen. Now I will shut up alfred.gif
VegasRacer
Excellent Job Dana. clap56.gif

That is some of the best video photoshop editing I have ever seen. type.gif
Can you do one of Big Foot and UFO's too? cool.gif

That is sick, Dude. aktion035.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Aug 17 2006, 07:17 PM) *

I hope you guys don't take this the wrong way but asking for the details is all well and good but really challenging your self to come up with original ideas to me is why I do this. I realize this isn't new but to take it from another car and implement it to yours is something special.

yep, I couldn't have said it better myself. I would be more than happy to point people in the right direction as far as this concept is concerned, but a kit is not really feasable. thank you all for all the kind words.

and yes John, after I finish this photochop video of my car riding on 22 inch spinners and hydros I would be happy to make one of you with bigfoot!
jonwatts

I hope you guys don't take this the wrong way but asking for the details is all well and good but really challenging your self to come up with original ideas to me is why I do this. I realize this isn't new but to take it from another car and implement it to yours is something special. What is the worst thing that can happen, well I tried to use 911 transmission mounts on my renegade engine cross brace and the engine fell out along with another major screw up when I used 914 engine mounts on my trans-mounts and the transmission fell out and so on. Along the failing way good things happen. Now I will shut up alfred.gif

agree.gif

Dana got inspired and did something (something really cool). Let it inspire you to do something different.
alpha434
Hmmm....

Needs titanium.

Did you wire the spoiler so that it changes angles at speeds, as opposed to a switch that just kicks the spoiler out?

OT; I've been working on a front spoiler that changes angles with suspension movement. Based on a few pictures I found of that done to early stock cars. Care to PM me some input?
plymouth37
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Aug 18 2006, 01:31 AM) *

Hmmm....

Needs titanium.

Did you wire the spoiler so that it changes angles at speeds, as opposed to a switch that just kicks the spoiler out?

I have a titanium wedding band, I'm sure the wife wouldn't mind if I welded/glued it in to the wing somewhere! welder.gif given that its titanium it would probably add ten or twelve mph to my top speed biggrin.gif

the wing is deployed by an adjustable speed sensitive switch. I can set the switch to deploy the wing at any speed. it would be easy to have different angles of attack, all I would have to do is swap in a linear actuator with a built in potentiometer, but the back half of my car is to a little to busy as it is so I think i'll stick to one angle on the wing.
ClayPerrine
Ok... when will you have them ready for sale?
mrdezyne
Will you be at SEMA this year? If not can you be available that week for a drop in visit? Its the week of Oct 30-Nov 3.....
plymouth37
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 18 2006, 07:03 AM) *

Ok... when will you have them ready for sale?

$15,000 available now.
Engman
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Aug 18 2006, 03:16 AM) *

agree.gif

Dana got inspired and did something (something really cool). Let it inspire you to do something different.

You are correct, however, I wish to admire how it was done. As an engineer, seeing how often leads to other 'new' ideas.

No desire to copy or imitate, it was simply well done and deserves to be admired.

M
turbo914v8
I think if the creator feels the need and has the time he could offer a kit or at the very least plans to duplicate HIS idea. Baring that I don’t think its fair for us to ask the creator to give up all his idea with pictures and part numbers so that the rest of us can copy it with out compensation to the creator. After all it was his idea and he is the first to adopt it to the 914. That being said if you’re creative enough to use what you have already learned and duplicate it all the power to you. Just my .02.
plymouth37
QUOTE(turbo914v8 @ Aug 18 2006, 10:12 AM) *

I think if the creator feels the need and has the time he could offer a kit or at the very least plans to duplicate HIS idea. Baring that I don’t think its fair for us to ask the creator to give up all his idea with pictures and part numbers so that the rest of us can copy it with out compensation to the creator. After all it was his idea and he is the first to adopt it to the 914. That being said if you’re creative enough to use what you have already learned and duplicate it all the power to you. Just my .02.

I don't want any money
A kit is just totally unrealistic, it's all custom and you have to cut your trunk in half.
if you have any questions regarding this crazy thing let me know, I would be happy to help you but you will be on your own as far as building it and getting it to work. like I said if you want me to build one it will cost you $1,5000.
grantsfo
Very cool. When do the neon lights and air suspension get installed? biggrin.gif
alpha434
Remember that self adjusting wings are not a recent developement.

Back in the 50s they just added in a hydraulic ram to the brake system with a spring recoil. This was nice, because angle of attack is a function of brake pressure.

I have an airbrake system planned on my car, but not in the form of a wing.... Hidden beneath the bodywork. Three tubes will lead from the front bumper to the rear. One down the middle will lead straight into the engine bay, forcing air into the intake and into the cooling system. One down each side will lead air into the front brakes, channeled through the door panels, to the rear brakes. At the rear trunk, all the air is just dumped into an empty area. The tail lights are to be replaced with screen, and the mid section (where the trunk release is.) New tail lights will be placed inboard, beneath the trunk (new fiberglass trunks made by me.) The car will have a flat bottom installed, which traps the air flowing through the body on two sides. Pressure on the third. A hydraulic ram will raise a panel and trap the air on the fourth side.

It's too bad I don't believe in progress threads. I'm doing a one-piece front end (quarter panels+hood+bumper) and I finished the mold last weekend.
Dr. Roger
Dana,

i just read your thread and don't know if you plan to share your info or not. i sure hope you do. =-) with close-up pics. =-)

your design is great and i bet everyone here would appreciate the info.

people talk a lot but talk is cheap. you did something and it came out great. much respect.
kenikh
I saw this thread and said to myself "this is going to be another defining moment for the word SUCK"...WRONG. That has to be one of the most perfectly implemented pieces of trick goodness I have ever seen. The bodywork is seamless and well designed, the engagement of teh wing is smooth and looks factory. In one word, AMAZING. My hat is off to you as I can't imagine anything else that could be more stealth, yet go so BLING in 5 seconds!
plymouth37
thank you all for the kind words, sorry to keep you guys hanging as far as the details are concerned. I am getting ready for a big move and really have a lot on my hands. when I have time to post some pics I would be more than happy to. just give me a couple weeks biggrin.gif
Rand
It's too bad I don't believe in progress threads. I'm doing a one-piece front end (quarter panels+hood+bumper) and I finished the mold last weekend.

Hey Alpha, this is a hijack here, but I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I would love to see what you've been doing. Please share on another thread!

Dana:
You've done a fantastic job on this project!!! Just my personal style, I'm not into the air brake at all, and wouldn't do a wing. But.... I love seeing people apply their ideas, and this one is very nicely implemented. Huge props!!! Nice work!!!! smilie_pokal.gif Your car has truly made history. Congrats!
JPB
CRAAAAAPPPP!!! Why do you people have to throw some cool schmit at me and get me going like this!!!!LOL

beer.gif How you say," sawzall-smiley.gif to carbon fiber trunk!" My steel trunk will be the guinny pig and up for sale once made!!!HELLOOO?

Aaaah, the angle is wrong on that wing if performance is an issue. It may even induce lift if the foil is wrong.
JPB
How about the water in the trunk thing? Now thats the real challenge of this project, unless you all don't drive in the rain or plan to use the spoiler in it. CRAP! I'm so hooked on this crazy thing!!

beer.gif

Stuie
I must admit thats a freakin' rad custom modification.

Kinda makes wish I knew circuit board design and such.

Anyone done some James Bond style "pop up" headlight missiles yet? That autospoiler is every bit as cool.

Nice work man!

JPB
Ahh, just figured it out!! smilie_pokal.gif 100% water tight!!!!

beer.gif Rubber bulkhead seals, ya baby!
plymouth37
QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 23 2006, 04:28 PM) *

Ahh, just figured it out!! smilie_pokal.gif 100% water tight!!!!

beer.gif Rubber bulkhead seals, ya baby!

I installed knock-on with a side bead onto the inner seam of the trunk, it is not visable and really seals it up well (by 914 standards at least!)
plymouth37
a lot of people have been asking for pictures of the mechanical side of my wing so I finally whipped out my crap ass camera phone and took some pics. feel free to copy or criticise biggrin.gif

wing retracted
Click to view attachment

wing up
Click to view attachment

brake up
Click to view attachment

wing angle
Click to view attachment

brake angle
Click to view attachment

top still fits
Click to view attachment

sorry for the poor quality photos, my wife hides the digital camera from me,she says I have a habit of destroying nice things confused24.gif
TonyAKAVW
Thats a really nice mechanism. Very simple, elegant way to do it!
Those linear actuators must be able to push with a lot of force.

-Tony
Sammy
LOL, there is a big difference between "can" and "should". wink.gif

Very slick, nice work.
plymouth37
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Sep 12 2006, 02:09 PM) *

Thats a really nice mechanism. Very simple, elegant way to do it!
Those linear actuarotrs must be able to push with a lot of force.

-Tony

thanks tony, the actuators are spal 110#ers with a 2" throw. I am totally going to take a finger off with this thing some day.
JPB
Nice design mister!! You have a good mind for the mechanical things in life.

beer.gif Girls like them mechanical things also. wink.gif
Britain Smith
Ok, that is awesome!

-Britain
drive-ability
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Sep 12 2006, 02:56 PM) *

sorry for the poor quality photos, my wife hides the digital camera from me,she says I have a habit of destroying nice things confused24.gif

That a classic line, nice work best of luck on your move driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.