Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TDI in a 914?
914TD
post Aug 21 2006, 02:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,680

Hi, newbie here.
Has anyone ever put an Audi or 1.9L VW TDI in a 914?
Considering how well Audi did recently with their Turbo Diesel racecar it seems a natural. Any thoughts?
I’m interested in trying it.
Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 21 2006, 03:10 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

First thought is if the crank spins in the 'correct' direction. I haven't heard of anyone doing that swap. Most swaps have a lot of the same issues and a few unique ones, meaning that even if you're the first, you can get most of the way there with the help of the other 'swappers'. But at some point you'll be breaking new ground. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Good luck!
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Aug 21 2006, 03:26 AM
Post #3

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

first of all: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) - from far, far away (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

there was already a 1.9L TDI conversion
try the search function - I remember about a thread to this topic, might be 2 years ago

the only thing I still have in brain is, that he told us to make 55 mpg (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif) Gustl
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Aug 21 2006, 03:32 AM
Post #4

well, just found it - klick here

not much about the conversion, more about the fact ...

+Quote Post
914TD
post Aug 21 2006, 05:32 AM
Post #5

McMark,
Thanks, to the best of my knowledge all VW water-cooled engine crankshafts rotate in the same direction. For example: the inline 4, 2.0L 16Valve engine found in the GTI’s, some early Passats (90’-93’) and some special edition Jettas rotate in the same direction as the TDI engine. Doing a search it looks like the 2.0L 16V engine has been done as a 914 swap already, so I think I’m OK there.

Gustl,
Thanks for the link. The engine in the link you provided looks like a 1.9 TD (pre-95,) not a 1.9 TDI (95’-present.) It is a good link/start though as the engines have a lot of similarity and the engine mounts and bellhousing bolt patterns I believe are all the same, but the TD and the TDI aren’t the same animals. One important difference is that the TDI is drive by wire, is controlled by the ECU and can be chipped, the TD is mechanical, and modifications are more limited.

I read the entire link you led me to and I get the impression that the first post with pictures of the swap comes from another site. If I’m right about that do you have any idea what site that came from? I’d like to try and get in touch with the builder of that beast.

Tanks again for the reply(s) and the welcome mat.
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Aug 21 2006, 06:39 AM
Post #6

yea, that's right

bitd board = www.pelicanparts.com

you're absolutely correct about the TD vs. TDI thing
I also thought, that if it's possible with the "good old 1.9 TD" it must be possible with the TDI - there might be a bigger problem with the larger air cooler of the TDI??

but I think it could be a cool swap, if you take a 1.9 TDI with VTG it should bring about 110 HP with big torque (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
(the old TD engine has only 75 HP, IIRC

on the other hand, the sound would be (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

+Quote Post
BMartin914
post Aug 21 2006, 08:48 AM
Post #7

|||

Member No.: 2,128
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Thanks, to the best of my knowledge all VW water-cooled engine crankshafts rotate in the same direction.

Which is? I know 77-84 NA 1.6L (and probably the 1.5s as well) Diesel Engines rotate clockwise.

It is a good link/start though as the engines have a lot of similarity and the engine mounts and bellhousing bolt patterns I believe are all the same, but the TD and the TDI aren’t the same animals. One important difference is that the TDI is drive by wire, is controlled by the ECU and can be chipped, the TD is mechanical, and modifications are more limited.

Not necessarily, not if you know how to tune the diesel injection pump and use the LDA correctly. But you will also never get the power from a TD that will from a TDI in stock trim.
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Aug 21 2006, 08:56 AM
Post #8

Currently teenerless :-(

Member No.: 1,814

QUOTE(Gustl @ Aug 21 2006, 08:39 AM) *

but I think it could be a cool swap, if you take a 1.9 TDI with VTG it should bring about 110 HP with big torque (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
(the old TD engine has only 75 HP, IIRC

Sounds like an interesting project, and it could give us the start of a whole new debate:

You can't propane-inject a 914

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Aug 21 2006, 09:08 AM
Post #9

no rules, just wrong

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 141

A 914 stump puller, I like it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
fiid
post Aug 21 2006, 09:11 AM
Post #10

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

It would be awesome - someone should do it.

I've heard of Rabbit Diesel engine being put in a 914 as well.... that was a fairly winpy 1.6, but you could probably score one real cheap....

+Quote Post
914TD
post Sep 18 2006, 04:03 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(fiid @ Aug 21 2006, 08:11 AM) *

It would be awesome - someone should do it.

I've heard of Rabbit Diesel engine being put in a 914 as well.... that was a fairly winpy 1.6, but you could probably score one real cheap....

Sorry for the lack of follow up, I’ve just been to busy.

VW also made a 1.6 TD (only sold in Europe and Canada) which had a lot more spunk then the lazy old Rabbit NA 1.6 Diesel. I know because I own an 83 Jetta 1.6 TD that someone else imported a long time ago. I also own a 96’ Passat 1.9 TDI, and there is a world of difference between the old school and the new school VW diesels. The TDI is much more responsive and quieter too especially if run on Biodiesel, which is the only fuel I use and have for two years with great results and no problems, which led to this original post.

The propane injection is a very real and solid idea, I haven’t tried it but know of a few people that have and it not only increases power but developes a much cleaner burn of the fuel, something worth considering.

At the moment this project idea (at least for me for now)is in the future, but just remember how well Audi did in there recent victory races and it gets me thinking.

+Quote Post
hcdmueller
post Sep 18 2006, 11:01 AM
Post #12

?????????????

Member No.: 5,527
Region Association: England

I was looking at getting another 914 for a TDI swap. I was going to use the 2.5L V6 TDI from an A4 or A6. I don't think you can get those in the states though. I had an A4 rental with that engine and it absolutely flies. 140mph+ top speed, 40+ MPG and tons of torque. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)

I just don't have the time though. Too many trips to unfriendly places.
+Quote Post
914fan
post Sep 18 2006, 11:33 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 3,460

I have a 97 tdi and a 73 914. I also have thought about the tdi swap. It can be done. You will need to rework the tranny. The dti does not turn as high rpm as a gas motor. It realy only pulls to 4500. Also my tdi runs at about 3k (80 mph) That feels high. I would like it to be at 2k. Just an fyi.

It would run like a bat out of hell though with stock gearing.
+Quote Post
hcdmueller
post Sep 18 2006, 11:47 AM
Post #14

?????????????

Member No.: 5,527
Region Association: England

If you are going to get into a TDI swap you might as well adapt one of the Audi 6 speed 2WD transmissions. It would be a great setup and you wouldn't have to worry about breaking 901's with all the torque.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 18 2006, 12:33 PM
Post #15

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Not all 4 cylinder VW TDIs are DBW. There were a few early yeas where they used conventional throttle cables. However, finding a used one that isn't DBW is getting tough. They've all been snapped up by conversion guys. DBW conversions require the instrument cluster and several other systems to come along in the transplant procedure. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Sep 18 2006, 12:47 PM
Post #16

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

Subaru is supposed to have a flat 4 boxer turbo diesel ready to go in 2008. Now that would have some possibilities.

Here is a blurb on development:

Subaru’s new turbodiesel engine would be modular, and will be introduced as a 2.2 liter 4 cylinder boxer, as well as a 3.3 liter 6 cylinder boxer. Since it is modular, technically a 4.4 liter 8 cylinder boxer could also be possible. It will be designed to be compatible with Subaru’s all-wheel drive technology. There is currently no turbodiesel engine using the boxer (horizontally opposed) cylinder configuration in the world, so Subaru’s will be the first.

+Quote Post
BMartin914
post Sep 18 2006, 02:43 PM
Post #17

|||

Like Krusty said, you'd better hurry up because there are so many overly-optimistic people out there that hear free fuel and diesel engine and snap up anything they can find so they can coke up the motor with veggie oil because they don't have a clue - just like the "make free diesel" guys on craigslist - you didn't think it was really that easy did you.

My 1.6 NA Rabbit PU does pretty good for 52 screaming horses (probably about 80 lb/ft of torque) and the rabbit body doesn't weigh that much more than the 914 (it might even weigh less). It isn't as underpowered as it seems and it is all mechanical (except for the fuel stop solenoid) so when the aliens come, you'll be prepared. :(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif):
+Quote Post
rich brennick
post Sep 18 2006, 05:44 PM
Post #18

Forever Newbie

Member No.: 942

Quite a little "cult" following of making big boost/ big fueling/ big power with both the 1.6 TD as well as the 1.9 TDI; lots of enthusiasts dump the electronics and go with mechanical pumps for tuning on the TDI platforms.
The GTD forum: http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/index.php?si...4c49ffa4b13e56a

I have both NA VW diesels and 1.6 TD vehicles (5 at last count); bomb-proof reliable with great mileage.

Not as quick as my V8 914, though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

As we are now in a oil pricing "lull," I hope we as a country do not forget how quickly our family budgets can go south due to fuel cost.

A 914 turbo-diesel sounds like an appropriate project! Good Luck!

And here's a pic of that LeMans-winning V12 TDI diesel:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post Sep 18 2006, 06:36 PM
Post #19

|||

I have both NA VW diesels and 1.6 TD vehicles (5 at last count); bomb-proof reliable with great mileage.

Had any experience with blowby runaway?

QUOTE(rich brennick @ Sep 18 2006, 03:44 PM) *

And here's a pic of that LeMans-winning V12 TDI diesel:

Got wood? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
MecGen
post Sep 18 2006, 07:37 PM
Post #20

8 Easy Steps

Member No.: 3,421

Hey

I think its a great idea, as said at the start of the thred, you gonna have to do a lot of engineering.
I am realy interested in whats involved with the dash? is it an immo thing? guys in Europe been dissabling them for years, I suspect some of the inputs are coming thru the cluster...and converted...thats gonna be tough.

Food for thought
Later

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 07:38 AM