Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TDI in a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914TD
Hi, newbie here.
Has anyone ever put an Audi or 1.9L VW TDI in a 914?
Considering how well Audi did recently with their Turbo Diesel racecar it seems a natural. Any thoughts?
I’m interested in trying it.
Thanks.
McMark
First thought is if the crank spins in the 'correct' direction. I haven't heard of anyone doing that swap. Most swaps have a lot of the same issues and a few unique ones, meaning that even if you're the first, you can get most of the way there with the help of the other 'swappers'. But at some point you'll be breaking new ground. wink.gif Good luck!
Gustl
first of all: welcome.png - from far, far away biggrin.gif

there was already a 1.9L TDI conversion
try the search function - I remember about a thread to this topic, might be 2 years ago

the only thing I still have in brain is, that he told us to make 55 mpg blink.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
Gustl
well, just found it - klick here

not much about the conversion, more about the fact ...

wavey.gif Gustl
914TD
McMark,
Thanks, to the best of my knowledge all VW water-cooled engine crankshafts rotate in the same direction. For example: the inline 4, 2.0L 16Valve engine found in the GTI’s, some early Passats (90’-93’) and some special edition Jettas rotate in the same direction as the TDI engine. Doing a search it looks like the 2.0L 16V engine has been done as a 914 swap already, so I think I’m OK there.

Gustl,
Thanks for the link. The engine in the link you provided looks like a 1.9 TD (pre-95,) not a 1.9 TDI (95’-present.) It is a good link/start though as the engines have a lot of similarity and the engine mounts and bellhousing bolt patterns I believe are all the same, but the TD and the TDI aren’t the same animals. One important difference is that the TDI is drive by wire, is controlled by the ECU and can be chipped, the TD is mechanical, and modifications are more limited.

I read the entire link you led me to and I get the impression that the first post with pictures of the swap comes from another site. If I’m right about that do you have any idea what site that came from? I’d like to try and get in touch with the builder of that beast.

Tanks again for the reply(s) and the welcome mat.
Gustl
yea, that's right

bitd board = www.pelicanparts.com

you're absolutely correct about the TD vs. TDI thing
I also thought, that if it's possible with the "good old 1.9 TD" it must be possible with the TDI - there might be a bigger problem with the larger air cooler of the TDI??

but I think it could be a cool swap, if you take a 1.9 TDI with VTG it should bring about 110 HP with big torque aktion035.gif
(the old TD engine has only 75 HP, IIRC

on the other hand, the sound would be icon8.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
BMartin914
Thanks, to the best of my knowledge all VW water-cooled engine crankshafts rotate in the same direction.

Which is? I know 77-84 NA 1.6L (and probably the 1.5s as well) Diesel Engines rotate clockwise.

It is a good link/start though as the engines have a lot of similarity and the engine mounts and bellhousing bolt patterns I believe are all the same, but the TD and the TDI aren’t the same animals. One important difference is that the TDI is drive by wire, is controlled by the ECU and can be chipped, the TD is mechanical, and modifications are more limited.

Not necessarily, not if you know how to tune the diesel injection pump and use the LDA correctly. But you will also never get the power from a TD that will from a TDI in stock trim.
mudfoot76
QUOTE(Gustl @ Aug 21 2006, 08:39 AM) *

but I think it could be a cool swap, if you take a 1.9 TDI with VTG it should bring about 110 HP with big torque aktion035.gif
(the old TD engine has only 75 HP, IIRC

Sounds like an interesting project, and it could give us the start of a whole new debate:

You can't propane-inject a 914

beer.gif

jonwatts
A 914 stump puller, I like it smile.gif
fiid
It would be awesome - someone should do it.

I've heard of Rabbit Diesel engine being put in a 914 as well.... that was a fairly winpy 1.6, but you could probably score one real cheap....

914TD
QUOTE(fiid @ Aug 21 2006, 08:11 AM) *

It would be awesome - someone should do it.

I've heard of Rabbit Diesel engine being put in a 914 as well.... that was a fairly winpy 1.6, but you could probably score one real cheap....

Sorry for the lack of follow up, I’ve just been to busy.

VW also made a 1.6 TD (only sold in Europe and Canada) which had a lot more spunk then the lazy old Rabbit NA 1.6 Diesel. I know because I own an 83 Jetta 1.6 TD that someone else imported a long time ago. I also own a 96’ Passat 1.9 TDI, and there is a world of difference between the old school and the new school VW diesels. The TDI is much more responsive and quieter too especially if run on Biodiesel, which is the only fuel I use and have for two years with great results and no problems, which led to this original post.

The propane injection is a very real and solid idea, I haven’t tried it but know of a few people that have and it not only increases power but developes a much cleaner burn of the fuel, something worth considering.

At the moment this project idea (at least for me for now)is in the future, but just remember how well Audi did in there recent victory races and it gets me thinking.

hcdmueller
I was looking at getting another 914 for a TDI swap. I was going to use the 2.5L V6 TDI from an A4 or A6. I don't think you can get those in the states though. I had an A4 rental with that engine and it absolutely flies. 140mph+ top speed, 40+ MPG and tons of torque. burnout.gif

I just don't have the time though. Too many trips to unfriendly places.
914fan
I have a 97 tdi and a 73 914. I also have thought about the tdi swap. It can be done. You will need to rework the tranny. The dti does not turn as high rpm as a gas motor. It realy only pulls to 4500. Also my tdi runs at about 3k (80 mph) That feels high. I would like it to be at 2k. Just an fyi.

It would run like a bat out of hell though with stock gearing.
hcdmueller
If you are going to get into a TDI swap you might as well adapt one of the Audi 6 speed 2WD transmissions. It would be a great setup and you wouldn't have to worry about breaking 901's with all the torque.
Cap'n Krusty
Not all 4 cylinder VW TDIs are DBW. There were a few early yeas where they used conventional throttle cables. However, finding a used one that isn't DBW is getting tough. They've all been snapped up by conversion guys. DBW conversions require the instrument cluster and several other systems to come along in the transplant procedure. The Cap'n
grantsfo
Subaru is supposed to have a flat 4 boxer turbo diesel ready to go in 2008. Now that would have some possibilities.

Here is a blurb on development:

Subaru’s new turbodiesel engine would be modular, and will be introduced as a 2.2 liter 4 cylinder boxer, as well as a 3.3 liter 6 cylinder boxer. Since it is modular, technically a 4.4 liter 8 cylinder boxer could also be possible. It will be designed to be compatible with Subaru’s all-wheel drive technology. There is currently no turbodiesel engine using the boxer (horizontally opposed) cylinder configuration in the world, so Subaru’s will be the first.

BMartin914
Like Krusty said, you'd better hurry up because there are so many overly-optimistic people out there that hear free fuel and diesel engine and snap up anything they can find so they can coke up the motor with veggie oil because they don't have a clue - just like the "make free diesel" guys on craigslist - you didn't think it was really that easy did you.

My 1.6 NA Rabbit PU does pretty good for 52 screaming horses (probably about 80 lb/ft of torque) and the rabbit body doesn't weigh that much more than the 914 (it might even weigh less). It isn't as underpowered as it seems and it is all mechanical (except for the fuel stop solenoid) so when the aliens come, you'll be prepared. :biggrin.gif:
rich brennick
Quite a little "cult" following of making big boost/ big fueling/ big power with both the 1.6 TD as well as the 1.9 TDI; lots of enthusiasts dump the electronics and go with mechanical pumps for tuning on the TDI platforms.
The GTD forum: http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/index.php?si...4c49ffa4b13e56a

I have both NA VW diesels and 1.6 TD vehicles (5 at last count); bomb-proof reliable with great mileage.

Not as quick as my V8 914, though biggrin.gif

As we are now in a oil pricing "lull," I hope we as a country do not forget how quickly our family budgets can go south due to fuel cost.

A 914 turbo-diesel sounds like an appropriate project! Good Luck!

And here's a pic of that LeMans-winning V12 TDI diesel:
BMartin914
I have both NA VW diesels and 1.6 TD vehicles (5 at last count); bomb-proof reliable with great mileage.

Had any experience with blowby runaway?

QUOTE(rich brennick @ Sep 18 2006, 03:44 PM) *

And here's a pic of that LeMans-winning V12 TDI diesel:

Got wood? wub.gif
MecGen
Hey

I think its a great idea, as said at the start of the thred, you gonna have to do a lot of engineering.
I am realy interested in whats involved with the dash? is it an immo thing? guys in Europe been dissabling them for years, I suspect some of the inputs are coming thru the cluster...and converted...thats gonna be tough.

Food for thought
Later

beerchug.gif
914TD
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Sep 18 2006, 10:47 AM) *

If you are going to get into a TDI swap you might as well adapt one of the Audi 6 speed 2WD transmissions. It would be a great setup and you wouldn't have to worry about breaking 901's with all the torque.

Thought about the 6 speed too, I think VW also made one for the Passat TDI 4 motion.
Any chance you could find one in Germany and ship it over here? Any idea of the cost?
I could probably find you the part numbers if it were possible.

PS. Just curious, will you have to go back to those unfriendly places you mentioned in your other post?

Bill D
I am very interested in this topic. I have a factory new 1.9TD sitting in my basement that was going to go in a 82 Diesel Vanagon Westy that I had. I would love to do this swap and sell the 2.5 motor that is in the 73 914 to someone that is looking for the additional power.

Doesn't Renegade or someone sell a ring and pinion swap?

Also, there were 1.6TDs in the US in the 84 Jetta and Diesel Quantum. Parts Place sells complete 1.9TD motors. A friend gave me a GEO Metro radiator to try which is small enough to fit next to the motor. Kennedy would do the adapter plate and flywheel for $450.

Would you have to switch out to a cable shifter with a water cooled VW motor?

Mueller
QUOTE(Bill D @ Sep 19 2006, 10:47 AM) *

I am very interested in this topic. I have a factory new 1.9TD sitting in my basement that was going to go in a 82 Diesel Vanagon Westy that I had. I would love to do this swap and sell the 2.5 motor that is in the 73 914 to someone that is looking for the additional power.

Doesn't Renegade or someone sell a ring and pinion swap?
I'd also be worried about the ratio between gears, of course with the diesel, I'd think one would never have to use 1st gear

Also, there were 1.6TDs in the US in the 84 Jetta and Diesel Quantum. Parts Place sells complete 1.9TD motors. A friend gave me a GEO Metro radiator to try which is small enough to fit next to the motor. Kennedy would do the adapter plate and flywheel for $450.
There was a fellow a few years ago that ran a turbo'd 4cyl Dodge/Chrysler in his 914 and had the radiator mounted next to the motor, it worked.

Would you have to switch out to a cable shifter with a water cooled VW motor?
I would think no, considering that for the V8 conversions all that is normally done is lengthening of the shift rod 1.5" since the transmission is moved back.

hcdmueller
I am leaving for Afghanistan here in a few weeks. I am in the Air Force and will be gone for around 6 months. Not too bad I guess. The Army guys usually go for a year or more. flag.gif

As for the six speed I have no idea how much it would cost to ship over to you. I have to assume it wouldn't cost too much. I shipped a truck tail gate over to Guam while I was there last year and it wasn't bad at all. The shipping companies are more concerned with size rather than weight. You might be able to get the right transmission over there. I remember the Passat being sold with it in 2wd as well. Probably not many in the states so it would be pretty hard to find.
914forme
Thought about it myself, but I drive my 914 for fun, I drive my TDI cause I need to. the TDI makes a great long haul car. Problem with the 901, nobody makes a gear that would make it okay for a highway cruise. This topic has been on this board before. I would love to have a taller fith in my TDI right now, I run 3000 @ 90, btw, mine will spin faster and make power above the 4500 stock drop off. But the problems you have is the 914 /901 combo. It is wrong, so another bullit proof tranny has to be had. Audi makes several, VW Passat comes to mind on the Audi chassis, engine tranny runs the correct way, 2WD are plentyfull. The early models are good for a swap, not DBW, but they cake the intake pretty severly.

Cooling is not a problem, my engine will get cold sitting in traffic, only time it needs air flow is when you are moving. That is easy. Intercooling is another issue, you will have to deal with if using a TDI, though one larger than stock is not necesary.

A good chip, larger injectors, good soot management, and a free flowing exhaust. You will also want a tranny with a limited slip, unless you like toasting one wheel in 3 gears.

Most people are amazed at what I can do in my TDI, most don't believe it runs on bio, I don't do the veg thing. Most can not believe I auto-x the car and keep up with the gas boys, and best of all they fall on there faces when I pull up the mileage figures at the auto-x and I am still getting way above 42 mpg (combinded city / highway/auto-x), even driven the piss out of it.

Now the downsides, maintance - most say it is less than a gas car, I really think it is close to the same. These engines like oil - it needs to be keep clean. The eat gaskets, and vibrate stuff loose all the time, so you got to stay after that. they can leak oil like nobodies business, and it is messy to clean up. Part of the vibration thing. And they eat timing belts, so replace them before the recommeded time frame. Or big $$$$ repairs ( ask me how I know sad.gif It is not hard to do, you have to get the proper tools. If you advance the fuel timing a little bit your engine will rev a little higher, also, run more efficant. Thats about all there is to them. Mine is getting close to 250,000 miles. Hopeing it will go another 750,000. Would I do one in a 914 probally not, would a do one for a daily driver yes in another car.

My ultimite daily would be a VW Corrado with a TDI, and AWD swaped into it. Still waiting on VW and Audi to get with the program and import the AWD diesels into our market. Read a thing the other day that Ford was suprised that the AWD 500 was selling 60% above expectations. headbang.gif Freakin Morons!!!!
Bill D
My wifes daily driver is a 99.5 Jetta TDI with 150K on it. replaced the belts every 60k . Nothing has vibrated off yet and no oil leaks. The car has had other annoying issues and the seats are like old school chairs. I love the mileage but do not like driving it.

A passat tranny may be a good idea but as far as i know an audi trany will not bolt up to a 4 cyl vw.

did a gear ratio check and a stock 914 box with 195-65-15 tires goes 70 in fifth @ 3000rpm. is this correct? my drive every day is back country so i am generally cruising 65 or less 99% of the time. i'd like it to rev less but my vanagon 1.6D was revving about 3800 @ 55mph and averaged 30mpg (52mph) which is not bad for 4600 lbs.

anyway i would like to drive the 914 as much as possible and i like diesels. even though i have an extensive background rebuilding air cooled vw and porsche engines I think the 914 would be a great conversion.
Gustl
I'd say someone should swap Audi's new V12 TDI from the Q7 into a teener av-943.gif
500 HP and about 1000 Nm screwy.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
914TD
Sorry for the delayed responses, just been very busy and haven’t even had the time to spend on the 914 club site, or any of the other sites I belong to either, so I’m just checking in.

Looks like a couple of you drive TDI’s and would like to lower your RPM’s while cruising the highways, so I thought you’d like this site: http://www.tdiclub.com and especially this link: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=119288

In regards to the swap it’s on temporary hold, but when I get the chance I think I will use the FWD Trans-axle from the donor TDI.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.