Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Experience in Small Planes, What can you tell me?
TROJANMAN
post Sep 1 2006, 01:54 PM
Post #1

Looks nice in pictures.........

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,753
Region Association: None

Who has experience flying, or flying in, smallplanes. We are about to take a 4 hour trip in a small plane,and the first question everyone asks, is "do you have a will?"
Sounds funny at first, but then you think there must be a reason they are asking.

Can anyone tell me of their experiences of flying in small planes. We are flying in a 6 seater, single engine prop from CO to AR. I am ok with it, but my wife freaked out when i showed her a picture of the plane.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Sep 1 2006, 02:03 PM
Post #2

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

I'd be more concerned with the pilot's experience than with the size of the aircraft.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
BMITCHELL
post Sep 1 2006, 02:07 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,681

4 hours in a small plane is going to get cramped. The first thing you will notice is there is alot to see below to help pass the time. Flying commericial your'e up to high to see anything. The glide ratio of a small plane is great compared to commercial. If you have any problems you will have plenty of time to find a place to land. Have a great trip!
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 1 2006, 02:18 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Sep 1 2006, 12:54 PM) *

or flying in, smallplanes.

funny you should ask ...

my first time in a small airplane, 3 seater (think fiat 500 with wings), was also my very first day in the US ...
flew in from frankfurt into SFO, my girlfriend picked me up at the gate with a "surprise" ...
a friend of hers had rented a small plane and we were going to fly out to the black rock desert to "burning man" ...

cool, i think to myself, until we walk out to the airfield and i see the "small plane". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

we get in, the pilot guy (whom i had never met before) starts talking to the tower, everything is clear and we head down to take-off.
now remember, this is SFO. there are *HUGE* jumbos landing and taking off left and right and we're in this little shoebox right in the middle.

then the scary part, does this thing actually fly? we'll find out. takeoff, s l o w as hell, putter, putter, finally catch some air.
now we have to do circles (!) to gain height ... all the while being passed left and right by big mofo jumbos (!)

on the way up to our departure height, the pilot hands me a book that he had open on his knees during takeoff, "hey, can you hold this for a second?" ...
i look at the title "Users Guide for Pilots" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) (insert "oh my god, i'm going to die!" smily here) ...

the flight into the black rock desert was actually pretty uneventful, except that we almost ran out of fuel and had to land in sacramento to refuel.

oh, and by the time we got up to sacramento, it was already dark, so we simply followed the *freeway* as it was easy to spot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

this was probably the scariest thing i've done in my whole life. 3 hour adrenaline rush that wouldn't shut off ...

finally got to burning man around midnight and circled over the big burning for half an hour or so.
that was quite spectacular ...

bottomline, small planes are SCARY and i won't be seen in another one if i can help it ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Sep 1 2006, 02:23 PM
Post #5

lol andy

pilot is experienced. comes from an aviation family, works in aerospace, owns the plane, been flying since he was a kid, etc.

4 hours is a long time, but we will take our time, and he has offered to stop as often as we want. probably once or twice on the way out.

i am totally looking forward to it, and I think my daughter will absolutely love it. It's going to be fun, and the weather is supposed to be perfect all weekend. Plus, we are travelling early to avoid any chance of thunderstorms. it was a;; the questions about wills that had me nervous. and i'm sure everyone was joking, but it was EVERYONE who was asking. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
GTPatrick
post Sep 1 2006, 02:28 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,768

Dude, . . .

Small airplanes are a lot safer than driving on the highway during rush hour.

It all depends on 1) the experience of the pilot , 2) If there is lousy weather along the way , is he IFR qualified ? , 3) Make sure that the aircraft is not overloaded , 4) What kind of plane is it anyways , 5) last and not least how long can the old bladder hold out determines how long the flight will be .

Small aircraft like big aircraft are as good as the pilot and how well they manage and fly the plane. Being in a big airliner does not necessarilly guarante a safe and happy flight. Look at what happened to the Comair flight recently in Kentucky .

Go on the flight and enjoy yourself dude. They're a lot more interesting to fly in than a big airliner.
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Sep 1 2006, 02:29 PM
Post #7

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

I agree with the comment about the pilot. I'd be way less worried about the plane itself than I would be with the pilots level of experience and the conditions you will be flying through.

Some observations...

Leave early in the morning. Get as far away from the front range as you can before the heat of the day stirs up more turbulance. The eastern slope gets really bumpy as the day progresses. Same goes for the return trip, try to get in before the afternoon.

Don't expect a 100% super smooth flight like you would get on a 777. Turbulance that would make the water in your glass shake a bit on a big heavy will toss your glass across the cabin in a small plane. Granted, the cabin isn't that big, but you get the idea right? It's possible you might get smooth sailing, but be prepared for more entertaining bumps in the road if the weather gets "interesting".

Pack light. Should be obvious, but small planes tend to have small baggage holds. Unless you're the only ones on the plane...

6 seater right? Do you know the model of the plane? Single or twin engine?

Most importantly. enjoy the flight! You can see soooo much more from the cabin of a small plane, you won't want to land...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Sep 1 2006, 02:31 PM
Post #8

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897

QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Sep 1 2006, 04:23 PM) *

4 hours is a long time, but we will take our time, and he has offered to stop as often as we want. probably once or twice on the way out.

I am picturing Burt Reynolds landing on a street in a small town and Dom DeLuise going in to a store to get beer. Gotta love the Cannonball Run Movies.

Smaller plane means you feel everything, and flying lower means there is more to feel. Like being on a rollercoaster......maybe not fun for 4 hours though.

Sounds like fun to me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Sep 1 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #9

beechcraft bonanza (they've been in production since the '40s)

i figure if we have to go down, there isn't much to hit in Kansas. most of the state is a natural runway lol
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 1 2006, 02:36 PM
Post #10

Resident German

Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(GTPatrick @ Sep 1 2006, 01:28 PM) *

Small airplanes are a lot safer than driving on the highway during rush hour.

not around here ...

unless you're scared to drive 15 mph with frequent stops inbetween ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Howard
post Sep 1 2006, 02:41 PM
Post #11

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943

I had a couple of really bad experiences flying commercial about 20 years ago, and was ready to throw in the towel. A friend who operated a small airport convinced me to take flying lessons to get over the fear. He was right.

After a few hours playing around in a Cessna 172 I got to like flying again. The biggest problem I had was trying to get it to stop flying. Those things don't like to get back on the ground. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

FWIW, the workers compensation rate on general aviation pilots is half that of truck drivers in CA.

But just in case something goes wrong, can I have your car? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

This post has been edited by Howard: Sep 1 2006, 02:45 PM
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Sep 1 2006, 02:47 PM
Post #12

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

Greg,

You'll love it! I am getting my license right now in a little Cessna 172(solo next week!) and small planes are a hoot. You fly lower, see more...life is good. They are noisier inside and you'll experience a few more bumps if it is rough but they are still a blast.

I agree with others, I would worry about the pilot more than the plane. If trust them, have a great time!

MW
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 1 2006, 02:48 PM
Post #13

En Garde!

Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I used to do a lot of flying in a Mudry Cap 10.
(IMG:http://www.planecheck.com/images/5050/CAP%2010B%20picture.jpg)
Like that except yellow with blue stripes. Little french aerobatic 2 seater. Very differnt flying then Jets. If the pilot has much experience, I find small planes many times more enjoyable then jumbos.

I learned to fly in that Cap10. But I have ot been up in a prop plane since 1993 (the year I went to college).
Zach
+Quote Post
Randal
post Sep 1 2006, 02:49 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Sep 1 2006, 01:03 PM) *

I'd be more concerned with the pilot's experience than with the size of the aircraft.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

That is the perfect answer Chris.

Like how many times have you heard about a plane failing as compared to "pilot error?"

An (EX) in-law almost killed us landing at San Clemente in a Grumman American Tiger - he just had to land at one of the most difficult airports around.

To bad there isn't a test for massive ego!
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Sep 1 2006, 02:57 PM
Post #15

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696

Private Pilot since '68 ..... I haven't died yet ... noisy, but a hell of a lot more fun that a commercial airliner.

Go enjoy Rubberboy!
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Sep 1 2006, 02:58 PM
Post #16

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696

Ah man, you erased the hackers attempt!
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Sep 1 2006, 03:04 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

My ex girlfriend flew airplanes alot. I absolutely hated it. Unless wew were going somewhere I had no interest in getting in these things. Even still she really had to twist my arm.

THey are extremely noisy so you have to wear headphones and even still you whole body rattles and it's just a miserable experience.

Of course I simply hate to fly so I may be biased.

Also 2 planes we had flewn in did break on other pilots and had to crash land. No personal experience with crash landings.

+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 1 2006, 03:05 PM
Post #18

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

You ain't lived until you've chased an elephant under a bridge in a Cessna Super Skymaster, and there were guys fishing off the bridge! I'll admit to being a bit unnerved ..................... The Cap'n
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Sep 1 2006, 03:36 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(Howard @ Sep 1 2006, 12:41 PM) *

But just in case something goes wrong, can I have your car? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

I penciled in, in my will, that a 914 club member can have and use the car as a daily driver, but they must return the car in the same condition they received it when my child (ren) are old enough to drive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

true story
+Quote Post
East coaster
post Sep 1 2006, 04:19 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 487

Small planes are a blast. 4 hours will get you a little squirmy though. I wouldn't be concerned about saftey unless there's bad weather involved.

Oh yeah, stay out of the "slow speed, no wake zones" ( I love buzzing the beach!)

Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 05:19 PM