Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Swaybar install Front and Rear, Decided I would document my sway bar installs
914forme
post Sep 24 2006, 05:56 PM
Post #41

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Thanks Trekkor.

Well got a little time this afternoon, after everything else wound down. Ground down and filled Pass side running light. Seam sealed the back side of my welds, and seam sealed the re-inforcement plates. The re-inforcements for the drivers side where primed in zinc. As was the inner fender well on the driver side. I made filler plates for the drivers side running lights, and the antenna hole. Pictures to follow.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post Sep 24 2006, 05:57 PM
Post #42

Opps missed a spot or two on the back side of the side marker, glad I took pictures of everything.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Sep 25 2006, 03:59 PM
Post #43

Today was not my day to weld, so I have walked away for a while. Probally go back out latter tonight and clean the shop. My mind and arm where not playing well with each other, just pisses me off. So I will put it down and take a breather and see what comes latter.

Oh well I should have finished welding up the drivers side. But alas it is not ment to be right now.

I hate it when I have welders block!!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Sep 25 2006, 06:14 PM
Post #44

Went back out after helping my son figure out his spelling home work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) As I have proven here more than once I can't F'in spell.

Well it was not as bad as I thought originally, I did warp the fender a little more, it had a big dent by the light anyway, so that needs to be taken car of. I burnt through one spot, and I welded my bolt to my reinforcement plate. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) That was brilliant. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

A little grinding, and some seam sealer will fix part of it. I will fix the burn through with a grind and fill, and the fender, well, I guess I need to shrink it, and see if I can get the dent down to a manageable size, it is about 1/4" down right now, want it to be about 1/16ths. I hates bondo!!! A little can be just fine, a lot and I might as well add an anchor to this car. I tend to use JB Weld anyway, don't laugh, it is used for smoothing airframe skins, actually works really well. I had a old body shop guy show me that one.

Hopefully get back on it Tuesday night.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Sep 28 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #45

Primed the inner passenger side fender tonight.

And got the rear sway bar finally from my ebay score. And some more pieces for chassis stiffening.

I am seriously think I am being haunted by the racers version DWD - I am off to look for my Priest, I need a Dirk Wright exorcism!
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 2 2006, 07:38 PM
Post #46

Worked on the teener last night and tonight.

Yesterday first, the test fit of the bar. Both sides are primed and sealed up. So I could do a test fit and check for binding etc.... I need a shorter arm for my outer most adjustments. Will add the strut just to make sure I don't have any problems with it also, but I don't think I will.

Passenger inner Fender.

Second is under tank bar clearance and what a big bar looks like in an area you won't see. Third is front trunk wall clearance.

BTW, the bar on the roller bearings just spins. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) The design being self centering means no binding what so ever, just smooth operation.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 2 2006, 07:49 PM
Post #47

DWD set in and tonight, I removed 20 pounds tar from the floor, for some reason I had spots with 2-3 layers of tar board (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Trekkor thanks for the tip on the air chisel, set to 30 psi and stuff flew off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) I started the Engmann inner log reinforcement kit, I seam filled the fender gap on the drivers side. And I built a set of rear toe adjusters. I got tired of using a clamp to hold my toe until I got the bolts tighten. This way is much easier, thank you Brant for the idea. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) Inner arm ear reinforcement will be done this winter after engine and tranny drop. I have two more events, checked them over really well knock on wood have not started to tear yet. Next event I will probably rip it right out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Luckily for me all chassis stiffing takes one point, I already took that point a long time ago. Only thing that can be dinged now would be if I caged the car with suspension points tied into the cage. I was busting butt, forgot to take pictures of all this stuff, except this.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 8 2006, 03:50 PM
Post #48

I can't see straight right now. I was running the suspension through full motion today, making sure my sway bar design does not bind etc.... Everything is going well, until I hook the bar up to both sides. I have enough bushing bind on both sides to make suspension hold and allow me to lift the car. I had to run a strap down to the chain and off the car to make it move correctly.

So DWD kicks in, Again!!!!!

Anybody want some crapmeister front poly bushings???? They will be cheap!!!!!

Creak Creak Creak, pop pop pop goes my chassis, another good time to change something else.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Oct 8 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #49

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

did you ream em to fit?

mine have like zero bind (minimal) reamed and slotted

i installed a pair for someone without reaming and yes.. they are extreme bind... even with slots and lots of gorilla jizz weltsheister lube
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Oct 9 2006, 09:22 AM
Post #50

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Thanks for the update...I'll have a busy winter myself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 9 2006, 10:58 AM
Post #51

I reamed them a while back, did not add groves so I pulled the Crapmeisters have poly bronzes showing up from Eric Shea, hopefully later this week. Was going to do rollers, but time = money, and aggravation = me getting pissed off and finding the quickest solution I can. I have to have the car back onto the auto-x course for that last run of the season. It will be a long winter if I don't run again. And I lose my placing on the TTE class if I don't, that would suck, to fight from last place to first to blow it with a DNS ( Did not show )
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 21 2007, 03:59 PM
Post #52

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ricola.gif) requested pictures of the final version. One for each side.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 21 2007, 04:39 PM
Post #53

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Cool, Nice work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Mar 21 2007, 06:35 PM
Post #54

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

slot em for infinite adjustability (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 08:34 PM