Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steering wheel question, before i do something stupid
PORobinSCHE
post Sep 9 2006, 02:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,484

howdy, upon tinkering today i noticed my steering wheel is 1/8 of a turn off. my query ; is the wheel on a dedicated spline(one spot only) or can it be removed and rotated slightly to get the wheel in the proper location.
i realise with a good alignment this can be corrected, but i have some suspension work i want to do and hate wasting money to re-align the vehicle later. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

yeehaw

Robin
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Qball
post Sep 9 2006, 02:14 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,734

QUOTE(PORobinSCHE @ Sep 9 2006, 01:09 PM) *

howdy, upon tinkering today i noticed my steering wheel is 1/8 of a turn off. my query ; is the wheel on a dedicated spline(one spot only) or can it be removed and rotated slightly to get the wheel in the proper location.
i realise with a good alignment this can be corrected, but i have some suspension work i want to do and hate wasting money to re-align the vehicle later. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

yeehaw

Robin

Muli-spline shaft, pull the wheel and rotate it.
+Quote Post
PORobinSCHE
post Sep 9 2006, 02:19 PM
Post #3

WoooHooo ,that's what i like to hear! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)

RJJ
+Quote Post
jd66921
post Sep 9 2006, 03:51 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE(PORobinSCHE @ Sep 9 2006, 01:19 PM) *

WoooHooo ,that's what i like to hear! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)

RJJ

Actually, I think the book tells you to rotate the wheel from lock to lock, count the
turns, and then center the wheel at the midpoint. That will get you best turning in
both directions.

About the same, but might be better.

Jeff
+Quote Post
pfierb
post Sep 10 2006, 03:56 AM
Post #5

oldest member

From: The sign of good government in Connecticut is to keep raising taxes
Member No.: 4,008

Just put the wheel straight ahead and mark the shaft and wheel with a magic marker then move the wheel the number of teeth that you think will straighten the wheel.....after you put the wheel back and tighten the nut don't put the horn ring on.. take the car around the block to see if the wheel is straight...may take a couple of trys.
+Quote Post
914-8
post Sep 10 2006, 10:56 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,461
Region Association: None

QUOTE(cooltimes @ Sep 9 2006, 11:23 PM) *

The front wheels need to be facing straight ahead. Remove the steering wheel and install again with steering wheel set back unto the splines like you want.
Installing with wheels turned could create a headache with the steering rack pinion( too little and too much travel and possibly pop off teeth on the pinion or rack sometimes in the future).

LOL'erskates! That's pretty dang funny!

Please explain how removing and recentering a steering wheel on it's splines could IN ANY WAY possibly, under any circumstances, result in "too little and too much travel and possibly pop off teeth on the pinion or rack sometimes in the future."

+Quote Post
PORobinSCHE
post Sep 10 2006, 10:59 AM
Post #7

maybe he thought the stop is on the wheel ,not the rack hitting the end of its travel.

R
+Quote Post
Brando
post Sep 10 2006, 11:46 AM
Post #8

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

While you got the wheel off, maybe time to upgrade to a momo-sporty lookin wheel...
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Sep 10 2006, 12:25 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081

Post wasn't directed at your fun. I laugh alot too.
But to clear it up as long as I am typing, my idea was that if you had the wheels turned too far right or left and then reinstall the steering wheel, the pinion would reach the end of the rack and muck something up in a hard turn in the shorter side of the rack direction.
The icon was for the other person who was out of order per the garage rules of personal attack and ridicule IMHO.

MikeCool
[/quote]

Sorry, I don't think I can see 1/8 inch on a steering wheel and, well, didn't see any reason to do anything crazy for it as was originally mentioned.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Unless perhaps a crazy answer would be given thus mine was posted. Gitit? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
[/quote]
+Quote Post
914-8
post Sep 10 2006, 01:32 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,461

Sorry. It just made so little sense (none, actually), yet was presented so authoritatively as fact, that it was funny.

As far as answering the question, it was already done. Moving the wheel over a spline isn't rocket science. Take the bolt off, remove the wheel and reinstall it one spline over.

Anyways, sorry again. Don't take it so personally or seriously. Wasn't intended to be.
+Quote Post
JPB
post Sep 10 2006, 05:41 PM
Post #11

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

[quote name='cooltimes' date='Sep 10 2006, 02:25 PM' post='768011']
Post wasn't directed at your fun. I laugh alot too.
But to clear it up as long as I am typing, my idea was that if you had the wheels turned too far right or left and then reinstall the steering wheel, the pinion would reach the end of the rack and muck something up in a hard turn in the shorter side of the rack direction.
The icon was for the other person who was out of order per the garage rules of personal attack and ridicule IMHO.

MikeCool
[/quote]

Sorry, I don't think I can see 1/8 inch on a steering wheel and, well, didn't see any reason to do anything crazy for it as was originally mentioned.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Unless perhaps a crazy answer would be given thus mine was posted. Gitit? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
[/quote]
[/quote]

Got ya friend and thank you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I'm a little (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) and sometimes just say to much. Them front ends could be a pain but with them splines, I think we can get it almost perfect every time. Hope he does. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
PORobinSCHE
post Sep 11 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Brando @ Sep 10 2006, 01:46 PM) *

While you got the wheel off, maybe time to upgrade to a momo-sporty lookin wheel...

here's the wheel i have now. it needs some leather conditioner. but i do like the size and feel. much better than the stock unit on my 944.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 12:16 PM