Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering wheel question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PORobinSCHE
howdy, upon tinkering today i noticed my steering wheel is 1/8 of a turn off. my query ; is the wheel on a dedicated spline(one spot only) or can it be removed and rotated slightly to get the wheel in the proper location.
i realise with a good alignment this can be corrected, but i have some suspension work i want to do and hate wasting money to re-align the vehicle later. driving.gif

yeehaw

Robin
Qball
QUOTE(PORobinSCHE @ Sep 9 2006, 01:09 PM) *

howdy, upon tinkering today i noticed my steering wheel is 1/8 of a turn off. my query ; is the wheel on a dedicated spline(one spot only) or can it be removed and rotated slightly to get the wheel in the proper location.
i realise with a good alignment this can be corrected, but i have some suspension work i want to do and hate wasting money to re-align the vehicle later. driving.gif

yeehaw

Robin

Muli-spline shaft, pull the wheel and rotate it.
PORobinSCHE
WoooHooo ,that's what i like to hear! boldblue.gif

RJJ
jd66921
QUOTE(PORobinSCHE @ Sep 9 2006, 01:19 PM) *

WoooHooo ,that's what i like to hear! boldblue.gif

RJJ

Actually, I think the book tells you to rotate the wheel from lock to lock, count the
turns, and then center the wheel at the midpoint. That will get you best turning in
both directions.

About the same, but might be better.

Jeff
pfierb
Just put the wheel straight ahead and mark the shaft and wheel with a magic marker then move the wheel the number of teeth that you think will straighten the wheel.....after you put the wheel back and tighten the nut don't put the horn ring on.. take the car around the block to see if the wheel is straight...may take a couple of trys.
914-8
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Sep 9 2006, 11:23 PM) *

The front wheels need to be facing straight ahead. Remove the steering wheel and install again with steering wheel set back unto the splines like you want.
Installing with wheels turned could create a headache with the steering rack pinion( too little and too much travel and possibly pop off teeth on the pinion or rack sometimes in the future).

LOL'erskates! That's pretty dang funny!

Please explain how removing and recentering a steering wheel on it's splines could IN ANY WAY possibly, under any circumstances, result in "too little and too much travel and possibly pop off teeth on the pinion or rack sometimes in the future."

PORobinSCHE
maybe he thought the stop is on the wheel ,not the rack hitting the end of its travel.

R
Brando
While you got the wheel off, maybe time to upgrade to a momo-sporty lookin wheel...
cooltimes
Post wasn't directed at your fun. I laugh alot too.
But to clear it up as long as I am typing, my idea was that if you had the wheels turned too far right or left and then reinstall the steering wheel, the pinion would reach the end of the rack and muck something up in a hard turn in the shorter side of the rack direction.
The icon was for the other person who was out of order per the garage rules of personal attack and ridicule IMHO.

MikeCool
[/quote]

Sorry, I don't think I can see 1/8 inch on a steering wheel and, well, didn't see any reason to do anything crazy for it as was originally mentioned.

popcorn[1].gif Unless perhaps a crazy answer would be given thus mine was posted. Gitit? blink.gif
[/quote]
914-8
Sorry. It just made so little sense (none, actually), yet was presented so authoritatively as fact, that it was funny.

As far as answering the question, it was already done. Moving the wheel over a spline isn't rocket science. Take the bolt off, remove the wheel and reinstall it one spline over.

Anyways, sorry again. Don't take it so personally or seriously. Wasn't intended to be.
JPB
[quote name='cooltimes' date='Sep 10 2006, 02:25 PM' post='768011']
Post wasn't directed at your fun. I laugh alot too.
But to clear it up as long as I am typing, my idea was that if you had the wheels turned too far right or left and then reinstall the steering wheel, the pinion would reach the end of the rack and muck something up in a hard turn in the shorter side of the rack direction.
The icon was for the other person who was out of order per the garage rules of personal attack and ridicule IMHO.

MikeCool
[/quote]

Sorry, I don't think I can see 1/8 inch on a steering wheel and, well, didn't see any reason to do anything crazy for it as was originally mentioned.

popcorn[1].gif Unless perhaps a crazy answer would be given thus mine was posted. Gitit? blink.gif
[/quote]
[/quote]

Got ya friend and thank you. biggrin.gif I'm a little blink.gif and sometimes just say to much. Them front ends could be a pain but with them splines, I think we can get it almost perfect every time. Hope he does. biggrin.gif
PORobinSCHE
QUOTE(Brando @ Sep 10 2006, 01:46 PM) *

While you got the wheel off, maybe time to upgrade to a momo-sporty lookin wheel...

here's the wheel i have now. it needs some leather conditioner. but i do like the size and feel. much better than the stock unit on my 944.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.